‹ Prequel: Not What I Expected

My Secret Untold

Chapter 9

I was at practice for the Sunday morning youth service when I overheard Sydney's conversation with her friends through her mind.

They were all assuming there was more between us than just friendship.

I kind of wished that there were, but I couldn't do anything about it. Not with Cacie being my girlfriend. I would just have to wait and hope that maybe something would happen in the future.

If only they knew you could hear them, Sydney thought, breaking me out of my thoughts.

I chuckled and I knew she smiled.

I heard Preston tease her and she reacted her typical way. Tongue out and then turning away.

When she turned away from them, she stared at the youth building and I noticed her thoughts turn to wanting.

You can come down here instead of wishing you were here, I suggested.

But that means I have to get up, she whined.

I laughed, You know you want to.

Yeah, I do want to, but I'm not going to.

Then her thoughts got pulled away from me when Cassie called her name.

Her friends started teasing her again and I decided to get her out of there.

"Hey Nikomas. I need to use the restroom real fast and it's an emergency," I said to the worship leader from the stage.

He gave me a look of displeasure, but he gave in.

"Fine. Just hurry up."

I nodded and ran out of the gym and straight passed the restroom. I ran to the community lobby and paused outside the doors.

I took a deep breath and then walked in. I didn't expect to be nervous, but I think I had more than just one reason to get Sydney to come down to the youth building.

I heard Kayla point me out and I kept coming towards them.

What are you doing? Sydney questioned.

Getting you to come down to the youth.

"Hi," I greeted as I stood between Sydney's and Kayla's chairs.

They all greeted me back at different times.

"Shouldn't you be down at the youth practicing?" Sydney asked me.

I knew she was trying to get me to leave before I got in trouble.

"I was thirsty," I lied.

"Then go get something to drink."

I grinned and I went to the soda machine.

I heard a short exchange of comments between them and Preston pointed out the truth of why I was there.

"I think he wants you to come with him," he said.

Always so observant, Sydney mused.

"You should go with him," Cassie pressed.

When Julie and Kayla agreed, Sydney had no choice. She had to come with me, or her friends were going to make her.

"Fine... I guess I'll get something to eat while I'm at it..." she muttered as she stood up and came over to the food table.

I walked over to her with my soda, "So you coming?"

"Yes. Your clever plan worked," she stated as she grabbed some cookies.

"Sweet. Let's go before Nikomas freaks then," I smiled.

She agreed and we mad our way back to the youth building, me throwing my soda away without her noticing. I was not about to get on Nikomas's bad side.

Sydney stayed during the rest of practice and even through the meeting. All the while, she talked to me. Even when her friends came down, she was still talking with me.

So why did you want me to come down here so bad? Sydney asked me.

I paused.

I couldn't tell her the main reason, but I wasn't going to lie. I'd just have to tell her most of the truth.

I was tired of you arguing with yourself, I answered.

Oh...

There was a slight hint of disappointment. I think she thought it was something else.

Someone tried to grab her attention, but they didn't gain all of it.

Tell me why you talk to me better through thought, I kindly ordered.

I don't have anything to hide in my head... You already see it all...

But it's no different out loud. I still see it all.

Her mind actually pulled up a blank and she sighed.

I don't understand why.

Okay,

I didn't know what else to say to her.

Would you prefer me to talk to you like this out loud?

That would be nice, I chuckled. I'm just kidding. Do whatever makes you happy.

I felt her smile through her mind and I suddenly felt a new connection with her.

I guess I can try out loud.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, writing in Alex's point of view is so much fun which is why I've written a lot of chapters today. :) Please let me know what you think guys. :D Thanks.