Every Moment

Lions Roar

Greta woke up with a sore back from sleeping on the army cot. She scratched her head, brushed her golden locks, and ate the last apple. She decided she would harvest some food.

Sullenly, and silently, she stepped onto the slippery rocks with nothing but a white gown, and her bare feet. She peered into the tidepools that were teeming with life. Greta picked up a crab, which pinched her. She hit it's shell with a stone. She hated killing things, but she herself needed to survive.

The crab went limp in her grasped. She sucked her bleeding finger for a moment, then used a penknife to carefully cut out the meat. Greta ate it hungrily. She then picked up a stray cod in the water flapping its body gasping. She looked away as she dug the penknife into it's heart. It was lifeless. She cried as she cleaned and gutted it, something she learned how to do from her grandfather, who also owned the lighthouse.

After she devoured the fish she had nothing to do, so she slipped off her gown, revealing all but lingerie, as she dived into the salt water, which stung her eyes. It was deeper then she thought, as she fought her lack of sight and focused all of her strength on trying not to be slammed into the rocks. Greta dove deeper.

There was a bouy chained down to the ocean floor. A starfish clung to it. She curiously poked it and it closed in a ball. She laughed undewater. Big mistake. She climed up the chain attached to the bobbing object to get a breath of air. She immediately heard voices.

"C'mon man! She's not gonna be here! Just give up, my feet fricken' hurt!"
"Shut up, Bob. She's gotta be there. I know!"
"Chris, I think you should listen to 'em!"
"Darren, I swear-"
"Hey look! There's someone in the water!" One shouted.

Greta dove in the water instinctively. She recognized Chris and his friends. She didn't want him to see her half naked.

Soon, she was out of air, and she felt her rope bracelet tug at something. It was caught on a loose strand of chain. She struggled causing a commotion in the water. The last thing Greta saw before she lost consciousness was a boy colliding with the water.
------------------------
"She's alive!!!" One said. Greta opened her eyes. She choked on some saltwater she spit out.

"Who the-" Another started. She started to get her vision intact. She instantly saw Chris staring right at her with amber eyes. She tightened into a ball to hide herself.

"Who are you, and why did you run from me at the circus?" Chris asked.

"I'm Greta- G-Greta S-salpeter." She stuttered.

"I'm Chris, Chris Faller. Nice to meet you Greta Salpeter." he held out a friendly hand. She shook it.

"I'm Bob. Bob Morris." The other, a blonde boy with striking features said.

"The name's Darren, Darren Wilson."

"I'm sorry to trouble you. If I can.." She sat up. They jumped out of her way. Greta quickly sprinted over to her gown and threw it on.

"Sorry." She muttered, her cheeks wine red.

"S'ok." Chris smiled. He was so handsome. His hair was wet.

"Yeah, Christopher over here saved your life. The softie." Darren laughed punching Chris on the sholder.

"Thank you, I owe you a dozen." She replied.

"So.... Do you LIVE here?" Chris asked. Greta felt her chest tighten, which she pondered.

"Yeah, I'm feeling weird, I have, like, a racing heartbeat, sweaty palms, and then I have the inability to breathe. I would say it was asthma, but I haven't been diagnosed. Do you have any idea what it may be?"

Bob laughed.

"Sounds like you've either having a heart attack, very uncommon at our age, or you're in love."

"Great." She whined. Chris blushed.

"Geez Chris, what's up with you? We thought you were talking about a siren, from the looks of it, by the way you were talking about this girl. You were, like, obsessed, but yet, here she stands. You happy now?"

"Darren, I swear, if you weren't one of my best friends, I'd chain you to the top rail of the lighthouse."

Darren placed a hand to his chest in false apprehension.

"Oh, please, dear bandleader, no!" He mocked.

"Ignore Darren, he's a pig." Chris retorted. Darren pouted in sarcastic sadness.

"Wow, I've never been in Cape Hush before. Mind if I take a look?" Chris asked.

"Nope," She blurted over-enthusiatically.

"Cool." He lead his pals inside the lighthouse.

They all bolted into the lightroom. About thirty minutes later, they came down the stairs.

"Hey, I'm sorry, Greta, but we gotta bolt. Our parents want us home by supper. I'm sure that your parents don't wanna see three strange boys inside with you home alone." Bob said.

"I have no parents. I live alone." She spat. They all stared at her in shock. Chris put a hand on her sholder.

"I'm sorry, Greta." His eyes screamed sincerety.

"It's fine. You didn't know."

"Farewell, sugar, we will visit tomorrow. I promise." Chris pointedly looked at his other friends. They all groaned. Walking wasn't a fun activity.

"Don't drown." Darren laughed, as they all strolled out. Greta climed up to the top of the lightroom, where she watched her visitors walk until they were out of sight.

Greta fell asleep thinking of Chris.

"Goodnight Sugar" The ghost echoed in Chris's voice.

"Stop that." She groaned, and slipped slowly into her subconcious.
-----------------------------