‹ Prequel: Escapology

The Road

Double Surprise - Part 1 - Mia's POV

“Mia, would you please come into my office?”

I heaved myself up to a sitting position and stared my social worker in the face. “Do I have to?”

“Yes, Mia. This is important!” she snapped.

I groaned. “You said that last time!”

“Okay then, fine. I’ll just find you a foster family and not give you the choice of living with who you want to,” she sneered.

I jumped up. “It’s okay Amy, I'm coming!”

I followed her into her office and was greeted by the smiling face of Gerard. I smiled back and we gave each other a quick hug before sitting down.

Amy picked up a file with Gerard’s name at the top.

“Mia, Mr Way…” she started

“Yes, Miss Ashcroft,” Gerard said politely. She gave him her acid stare. I just laughed.

“Mr Way, I have reviewed your request to become Mia’s foster father…”

“Splendid!”

“And I have been looking through your history,” Gerard frowned at me. “And I spoke to your brother and your parents,” he gave me a worried look. I laughed again.

“I have found a few things which should prevent you from becoming a foster parent but due to the things I have heard about you from your family and friends you appear to be a worthy candidate to foster Mia. As all of the candidates I have selected for her have not been people Mia thinks would be suitable for her to live with I think she should be able to get her choice so I did the best I could for her.” He smiled.

“I’m lost. Am I getting fostered or not?” I asked.