I Could Always Make You Smile

I Could Always Make You Smile

I was back in Hogwarts, without Selene. Everything was very much different from when she was here, in a horrid way. The days seemed to drag on forever, and life just seemed boring. And random people were always coming up to me, apologizing for the loss.

Selene wasn’t dead; she just wasn’t here. And the only thing they should be apologizing for were their annoying condolences. They had to no idea how much I wanted to hex them as they approached me.

I was usually alone nowadays, considering I had been trying to avoid Draco and Blaise, on account that I didn’t want to have to explain. Things were just better if they were in the dark about the situation.

And even though Selene would slap me for not telling them, she wasn’t here, was she?

But it didn’t come as a surprise to me when Draco and Blaise dropped in uninvited. They creaked in ever so silently, thinking they would catch me off guard. And they sat down on either side of me, Blaise wrapping his arm around my waist.

“Come on love, you have to tell us what happened,” Blaise whispered.

Rolling my eyes, I jumped off the bed and disposed of the crumbled parchment. “All you need to know is that there is no need to go looking for her, saving her, or even trying to speak with her. Selene is gone and until she makes her move we can’t do anything.”

“Malia, you must seriously be joking. Have they put a spell on you?”

“No, not at all,” I replied. “These were Selene’s wishes and I respect her enough to follow them. To sacrifice herself would be a waste if we went against her.”

Draco stood frozen, disbelief clearly shown in his expression. “What are you saying?”

I let out a frustrated sigh and rolled my dark eyes, growing bored by this game they had decided to play. “Don’t go trying to save Selene! There isn’t much left to be explained Draco,” I snapped breaking out into tears.

He stood still, trying to believe it. “She gave herself up for you,” he mumbled. “And now I’ll never see her.”

“Draco, what the bloody hell is wrong with you?” Blaise questioned pushing passed him. He reached out to give me a hug when I stepped back.

Blaise sent me a quizzical look, but then sighed, putting his hands into his pockets. “Malia, don’t do this, don’t push me away.” He stepped closer. “Don’t close up on me, you need me right now.”

“I need Selene! I could care less if I had anyone else,” I lied. I did need Blaise and in some ways I needed Draco too, but I just wasn’t willing.

“I know that you don’t mean that.”

“Oh but I do. Blaise, you weren’t there when I needed you. I can’t be with someone who doesn’t love me. And I won’t wait around like a fool thinking that you will when you obviously won’t.”

“You’re out of your bloody mind Harewell. We’re your best mates and you’re pushing us away now? When we need each other the most?” Draco questioned.

“Considering that neither of you are Selene, I’m guessing so,” I replied feebly without looking away from my feet.

And that was that. Neither Draco, nor Blaise spoke to me for the remainder of the year. But every now and then, I caught one of their eyes lingering upon me. And as much as I wanted to approach them; I was too angry.

I didn’t really become friends with anyone after that; there was no point. No one could ever replace Selene. But she had sent me a letter, secretive of course, not even Victor knew.

And one line was memorable than all the rest. And it read, I Could Always Make You Smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
So to our readers, we love you so much! This is the end, but do not fret, they'll be more. Coming soon, so look out!