Status: Indefinite Hiatus

Where Do I Begin? All I Know Is Gone

Whitu

Standing outside of the hostel it was just Padge and I left. Jay and Moose had left us at the café, needing to go home to their girlfriends and kids. It was a little shocking to find out that there were littler versions of them running around this town, but it was easy to see how much they cared about their families. Moose didn't give off a paternal vibe at all, but Jay's actions from the night before had a definite fatherly feel to them.

We parted from Bailey and Matt (with hugs and strict orders of meeting up tomorrow) at the corner of their street, Padge being a gentleman and making sure I didn't get lost the rest of the way. We'd made small talk, mostly talking about what I'd gotten up to in the last week.

It was a little awkward just standing beside the door, talking. There was a feeling of stalling, I was enjoying the company, and knowing that being alone again would bring back those thoughts I'd have to try to dull made me invite Padge up to my room.

"Uh, sure. To be honest I don't really want to go back to being alone in my place. There's just too many memories, you know." It was only then that I realised how easily I'd gotten off in my situation. Sure, I had the same heartache going on, but I wasn't constantly faced with reminders of my failed relationship like the man before me was. I truly didn't know how he could stay so strong, no doubt nearly everything in this town held some sort of significance.

Rosie took no time in accosting me as soon as I entered her building. Saturday's were her usual day for taking care of the business side of things apparently. She was holed up in her office, doing the banking, when she heard my voice. Rushing out into the little reception area she started going off at me, saying how worried she'd been at not seeing me stumble through the doorway last night. Padge seemed highly amused by the middle-aged lady in front of us, but he was polite enough not to laugh out loud.

At least, he was until Rosie set her sights on him. That was when he turned the charm up to full effect, apologising profusely and promising that she didn't have to worry about me anymore because he would take full responsibility if anything should happen. It really was quite a show, especially when Rosie seemed to recognise him and tell him off for being a little hooligan back in his youth. In the end they managed to come to an agreement though, so we were allowed through without bloodshed.

"Why is everyone around here so protective?" I questioned quietly as we made our way up the staircase. It was lovely; don't think I'm not appreciative, but a little odd as well.

Padge could only shrug and mumble that, "It's just the way we are."

Leaving Padge to make himself comfortable with a photo album of my escapades from around the world four years earlier (he'd asked to look at it once he'd spotted it out on my bed), I headed into the attached bathroom glad that I'd opted for a private room. It was a little more expensive, but the price was worth not having to put up with nosey other people prying into my business. Plus, I didn't have to worry about my guest being hassled.

Coming out freshly dressed I found him lying on the bed, head hanging down over the end, looking up at the ceiling. "Interesting view?" I laughed.

"Oh yea, I just love the way the it's so flat, and white. Very stimulating," he deadpanned, sitting himself up. "Feel better?"

"Definitely. How bored were you waiting?" I felt a little bad for inviting him in and then leaving him alone for half an hour. I had tried to make my shower quicker than normal, but having to wash my hair and shave my legs can only go so fast when I don’t want to be bleeding everywhere.

Padge tried to play off the situation, insisting that he'd been fine snooping through my possessions, earning himself a light slap on the shoulder. He asked a couple of questions about my photos, wondering where a few of the locations were. Apparently he loved my shots of Hadrian's Wall, especially the one where I stood on top of it and took a shot down the length across the paddocks. It was one of my favourite pictures from that trip too, along with the one of St Peters Square from the top of the Vatican.

I'm a bit of a fan of historical architecture. There's just something about the sense of history that goes with it, trying to imagine all the people who've been there, in the exact same place hundreds, or even thousands of years ago. It's kind of humbling, and usually it's really beautiful too. People had skills back then, to make such amazing things out of plain old stone.

"You said you guys are doing a UK tour, right?"

Padge was clearly confused at my question, seemingly coming out of the blue. "Yea, why?" There was just a hint of curiosity in his tone, contrasting against the look in his eyes.

"No reason," I laughed, " I was just wondering if you'd be going to York."

"Um," he paused to think for a minute. "I'm pretty sure we have a small show there. We haven't played there for a while. Fibbers is a pretty tiny venue compared to what we're playing the rest of the tour, but it's fun to do that sometimes. What's so special about York?"

"Oh nothing. Just this paranoia my aunt has. Every time she's been to York there's been scaffolding up at the Minster. She reckons it's a conspiracy," I laughed, remembering when she told me the story. "When I went with her it was looking like that might have changed, until we walked around the back. The whole back half was covered in white sheets and scaffolding! It was funny. Apparently it's been being worked on all three or four times she's been. And we only really went there just to see if the Minster had scaffolding. Oh, and to see the shambles. That was pretty cool. I even found a Canterbury Clothing Company store! That's from where I'm from, so you know, it's exciting."

Did I mention that I ramble a little? Well, now you know I do. I guess it's a kind of release mechanism that's evolved from my lack of talking. When I do talk, sometimes it's like the words just overflow, clearing the reserves so they can start backing up again.

"You want me to check it out for you?" He really did seem amused by my little tale. "I never really noticed it the couple of times we were there, but now you've got me interested," he laughed, grinning wide enough that it shone through his eyes.

Clapping a little, I bounced up and down from my spot on the bed. "Yay! I'll love you forever if you take photos."
♠ ♠ ♠
Seriously - if you ever go to York check out the Minster!

Also... you should watch this vid. I know they stuffed up the graphics, but it's good =]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayyewAHHgzk

I want the top Padge is wearing.. preferably with him still in it ; ] This is basically what started me liking him just that little bit more than the other guys.
Oh, and Moose's Shirley Bassey comment! Classic!!!