‹ Prequel: This Is An S.O.S.
Sequel: Super Sophomores

Freshman Year

January 21, 2009

I got to school early again. I spent like half an hour waiting for people. Dunbar was the first to get to school. He was telling me this stupid joke. I found it offensive. You know, I'm half black and it's a joke about black people. Brenda told me about how Mr. Escridge is racist to her. Most of my school is either white or black. There's not many Hispanic people. Kevin got there. He was like "Could you scoot over?" to Dunbar.

Which way/" he asked. Kevin made a sweeping motion away from me. Dunbar moved the way Kevin's hands were going.

"A little more?" Dunbar refused to move any more. I scooted towards Brenda a little. "Thanks!" he said and sat down. "I didn't straighten my hair this morning."
"I didn't either," I said.

"Yeah," He said. "I can tell. Your hair's all" he made a noise.

Brenda had this brush. It was one of those pop-out ones. I was freaking out and showing it to Kevin. He couldn' figure out how I flipped it. I gave it to him to try for himself. It was funny how he got all happy when he made it flip. We talked about Kevin's ISAP. I told him to say hi to me when he passes my class. The ISAP people always pass by my Chorus class.

Here I am, skipping again.
Skipping to chorus.
Skip..
.
.
.
Un-skip.

We were working on a new song during chorus. I kept looking out the window to see Kevin. I wanted Chelsea to see him too. Finally, the ISAP people walked by. I kept trying to make Chelsea look and see Kevin. She was late the first time, but saw him when they came back. "The tall guy?" she asked. I nodded. "What grade's he in?"
"Freshman."
"He looks old for a freshman."
"He's sixteen."
Her eyes widened. "He failed twice!?"
"No." I told her. "He started school late and failed once."