What a Wonderful Caricature of Intimacy

Could've Been

"Are you ok?" Ryan asked, pulling away from the kiss we had just been sharing.

"Yeah," I lied.

"I know you're lying," Ryan said. I sighed.

"It's just something I can't talk about with you," I said. Ryan frowned.

"You can't talk to me?" he asked.

"We never talk," I said. "Why would we start all of a sudden?"

"Whatever," he said. I was the one frowning now.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"Why are you talking to me?" he said instead of answering my question.

"You know what Ryan," I said. "You're the only one who never wants to talk. I wouldn't mind talking, but our relationship is strictly physical."

"Says who?" he asked. I stared at him.

"Says you," I said. "You're the one who made all the rules. I'm just here because, let's just say you made me an offer I couldn't refuse."

I opened Ryan's car door to get out. I kissed him quickly.

"It could've been more," I said. "But I think that chance has gone."

I got out of the car and closed the door. I didn't even watch him leave. I went straight into my house and up to my room, tears sliding down my face. The truth was, and always was, that I love Ryan Ross. But he doesn't love me.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments??
~Sally