Sequel: In Too Deep

Dirty Journalism

Headaches and Heartbreak

When the headmistress entered the newspaper room that Friday, every student sat straight up. “Good morning, Dr. Barrie,” they all chimed.

“Good morning, students,” Dr. Barrie said firmly, nodding. A smile crept upon her face. “I have some excellent news for the staff of The James Journal.”

Everyone turned to face her, shocked by her excited face. Dr. Barrie hadn’t ever been this happy in front of students. Jackie, personally, found it rather frightening, but she paid attention anyway.

“Everyone here knows about the website called Journalism For Students, correct?” the headmistress continued. Everyone nodded. “Then you’re aware that there is a section of the website in which professional journalists review school newspapers, yes? Well, our school newspaper was reviewed by the Walter Windham! And he gave us a phenomenal review!”

The room erupted into cheers. Walter Windham was one of The New York Times most renowned journalists, and a positive review from him had to be the highest honor of a school newspaper. Jackie smiled broadly at everyone in the room as the cheers continued.

“And for the amazing newspaper staff,” Dr. Barrie said, “there will be a celebration tonight in the third floor lounge at seven o’clock!”

There were more cheers, but Jackie’s smile vanished. She didn’t want to go to a party, but as editor-in-chief, she was obviously expected to. She sighed as she felt another headache coming on.

“Jackie! Isn’t this awesome?” Stella exclaimed, coming up to her desk. “Your newspaper got a good review from Walter Windham! Why aren’t you excited?”

Jackie offered a small smile and a shrug. “It’s awesome. I’m just not feeling well.”

Stella sighed. “Take some more Advil. You are not missing the party tonight!”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The blaring music of the newspaper party didn’t do much to help Jackie’s pounding head. “Go away, go away, go away,” she commanded to the headache, pounding the heel of her hand on her forehead.

“Stop hurting yourself, or there won’t be anything left for me to infuriate on a regular basis!”

Jackie turned to see Max walking up to her, a smile on his face. He was holding a small bottle of cranberry juice in one hand.

“For you,” he said, holding it out for her. “To make up for the lack of fruit juice at the first party we had here.”

Jackie shook her head, not taking the bottle. “We’re not talking about that night,” she said shortly.

Max frowned at her. “Jackie, is something seriously wrong—?“

“MAX!”

Dina appeared at Max’s side, clad in a very sparkly black party dress. She hugged Max’s side with one arm and grabbed his hand with the other.

“Come dance with me!” she said giddily, jumping up and down. Jackie sighed and turned away, folding her arms over her chest.

Max kept looking at Jackie as he set the cranberry juice on the table next to them. “Sure, Dina, I’d love to.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Max followed Dina to the cleared area where a large number of people were dancing to the music. He agreed to dance with Dina because he thought it might influence Jackie to make fun of him, but she hadn’t even looked at him.

He glanced back at Jackie. Her bright green dress and matching flats radiated excitement, but she was acting so much the opposite. Something told Max that Stella had planned that outfit for her.

Dina jumped around excitedly, her long blonde hair falling across her shoulders. Max bobbed a little to the music, his mind still racing. Why was Jackie being so annoying? Did she want things to go back to how they once were? Or had they ever changed?

“Max, you are a terrible dancer,” Dina said jokingly.

Max looked down at her and smiled. If Jackie was going to be distant, he wanted a new girlfriend. Or… friend-girl. Friend of the female gender. Yeah. “Why don’t you show me how it’s done?”

Dina grinned and wrapped her arms around his neck.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Well, it’s been fun,” Jackie muttered to herself. As she attempted to push her way to the exit, a large of number of wolf whistles were heard and people cheered. She turned and stood on her toes to see what the commotion was about.

In the middle of the dance floor, Max and Dina were kissing. Not a feisty, alcohol-induced make out session, but a long, romantic kiss. When they broke apart, both were grinning madly and staring into each other’s eyes.

Jackie turned around immediately and pushed fiercely to get to the door. She didn’t want to see that. She didn’t want to be in the same room as that. Without a second glance back, she pulled open the door and left the party.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In the next chapter of Dirty Journalism…

“What about you? You’ve been acting really strange lately.”
-
-
“Don’t be so happy, I’m still mad at you. Just not for the reason everyone else is.”
-
-
”Is it incredibly hot in here, or is it just me?”
-
-
”We can’t find Jackie!”
♠ ♠ ♠
All shall be explained in time...

xoxo Dems