Sequel: In Too Deep

Dirty Journalism

The Party

Jackie groaned as she repeatedly hit her head against her dorm room window. Her roommates, Lexi and Stella, gave each other weary looks as they packed for the trip.

“It won’t be that bad, Jackie,” Stella said, holding up two different shirts. “Which one looks more woodsy?”

“That one,” Lexi answered. “And besides, Jackie, Dr. Barrie said you two would still be exempt from classes the entire week, just like the rest of the seniors. Are these shorts too short for hiking?”

“Borderline, but I bet Scooter will like them,” Stella said with a laugh. “Do you think hoop earrings would be inappropriate?”

“You guys are torturing me,” Jackie moaned, turning to face them.

Lexi gave her friend a sad smile. “Why don’t you hang out with some of the lowerclassmen on the newspaper staff?”

“I hate them all,” Jackie said with narrowed eyes. As an afterthought, she added, “But not as much as I hate Max Leopold.”

“Even though so few teachers come on the camping trip, there’s still less supervision here at school, so maybe you’ll find a really awesome party to go to,” Stella offered.

“Apparently the juniors on the basketball team are throwing a party tomorrow night, after you guys leave,” Jackie sighed. “Max convinced them so he’d still be able to have fun this week. He very politely invited me.”

“Really?” Lexi asked.

Jackie rolled her eyes. “I was being sarcastic! I believe his exact words were ‘Come to the party and see how long you last without falling asleep on a bench!’” She impersonated him with a low voice.

Stella and Lexi laughed, and Jackie cracked a smile. “You should go,” Lexi said, seriously. “Prove to him you can do it!”

“It won’t be hard for you, considering you don’t drink,” Stella taunted.

Jackie shrugged. “Hey, I’ve gotten drunk once and it was the worst experience ever. I don’t see why people want to do it so much. Besides, beer is disgusting.”

“Yeah, whatever, but you should still go,” Lexi persisted.

Jackie thought about it. “Maybe I will. I think it would piss him off if the night ended and I was still on my feet, don’t you?”

“Just don’t push each other in any fountains,” Stella ordered.

“Or throw any mashed potatoes at him like you did that one time,” Lexi added.

“That was in sixth grade,” Jackie said, “and he deserved it.”

Stella and Lexi shared a look and burst into laughter. Stella said, “Yeah, he called you ‘stupidface.’ He reeeeaaally deserved it.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Max opened the door and was surprised to see Jackie looking… taller. She was wearing bright red pumps with a matching shirt, black vest, and dark skinny jeans.

“Hey,” she said coolly, leaning against the doorframe.

“The Apocalypse is coming! You grew!” Max said, smirking. Jackie rolled her eyes and pushed past him.

The party was in full swing. Teenagers were drinking, dancing, screaming, making out… the usual. Jackie observed the dance floor for a moment, before Max came up next to her.

“Is anyone from the newspaper here?” she asked over the music.

Max shrugged. “Why?”

“Because I don’t know anybody.”

“You know me!” Max grinned and took a sip from his cup. “And look, there’s Jason from our chemistry class!”

Jason, an overly intelligent junior, was passed out on a couch with the words “I like test tubes” written across his face. Jackie snorted back laughter, making Max grin even wider.

“Funny,” he said, “I would have thought you’d find that despicable or something.”

Jackie was still giggling as she said, “I don’t know. Just being around alcohol must be getting to me.”

“Well, let’s get you a beer, then!” Max began marching toward the drink table.

Jackie followed. “I don’t think so, Maxwell. Beer and I aren’t the greatest of friends. In fact, I hate it almost as much as I hate you!” She flashed him a smile. “Do you have any cranberry juice?”

Max gave her a look. “Yes, we have plenty of non-alcoholic fruit juice at this party, just for you.”

Rolling her eyes, Jackie asked, “How about Dr. Pepper? You must have something non-alcoholic.”

Max turned around and handed her a plastic cup. Jackie barely needed to sniff it to know whatever was in the cup was filled with alcohol. “What is this?” she asked scrunching her nose.

“Vodka. It’s some fancy kind. You’ll love it,” Max said, forcing the cup into her hands. When Jackie shook her head, he pleaded, “Come on, Jackie, live a little!”

Jackie rolled her eyes and sipped the vodka. “Why does it taste like coffee?”

“Because it’s espresso vodka!” Max exclaimed, taking a swig from the bottle. “How awesome it that? Coffee… and vodka… in one!”

Max was obviously a little drunk already. One sip had apparently affected Jackie too, because she laughed at Max’s excitement and took another few gulps from her cup.

“More?” Max asked. Jackie nodded and found herself with another full cup.

She really should have said no.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

In the next chapter of Dirty Journalism…

“I think I stopped hating you.”
-
-
“Didn’t you figure it out when you woke up in bed with me?”
-
-
“Stupid, stupid vodka!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Espresso vodka really exists and it really is delicious. :-) It's a Christmas Eve tradition at my house. I would not suggest drinking it in excess, however, because it can have unfortunate side effects, as the next chapter might display...

xoxo Dems