Status: Currently Editing

My Story

Chapter Two

I left home at the usual time, 8:40 and walked to school. The necklace was bouncing against my chest so I tucked it in underneath my t-shirt.

My school was usually pretty strict about jewelry and until today it really wasn't a problem for me, but this particular piece of jewelry felt special. And in a way I guess it was, it was the only thing over 50 cents my brother had ever given me.

The streets were eerily bare today and I wondered why, usually the streets were paved with students from the school, slowly making their way to school, or either pretending to make their way to school. But today there was absolutely nobody insight.

I finally understood why, when the school bell went off in the distance. I was late! How fantastic, the one day I choose to walk slowly to savor the fact that I'm finally sixteen, and I'm late for school... well done Holly! I started running, full pelt toward the school. My necklace started clanging against my skin, finally it came out, but i didn't bother putting it back in place, I was already so late.

Dang! When I finally reached my locker the last few dawdling people were going in side
their classrooms. I started fumbling with my lock. My hands were shaking so much from all
the running - and the thought of being late to class - that I just couldn't get the combination
right. I really hated school right now.

Finally my heartbeat slowed and my hands stopped shaking. I twisted my lock (17, 34, 8). My locker opened, thank god! I looked at the time table stuck to the inside of my door, I had maths first thing, Oh no! Not maths! Our maths teacher, Mr. Varner was the meanest teacher on the planet. Although he was only young, just twenty seven, his father was the principle of the school. I guess he had a reason to be tough. In one way, it was kind of helpful, Mr. Varner didn't except late passes, so that saved me a trip to the office, unfortunately I would miss out on my snack, Mr. Varner didn't give out chances.

I walked to class, to tired to run anymore. Luckily for me, the door to the classroom was open a crack, so all I had to do was push it. As I walked in every head in the class turned to stare in my direction, this was going to be very embarrassing.

"You're late!" I turned to stare at Mr. Varner standing at the front of the class, he looked extremely mad.

"Sorry sir, I didn't realize the time," I said as I made my way to the front of the class... to my
doom.

Suddenly Mr. Varner's expression changed, suddenly he looked dumbstruck.

"Sir?" I asked.

"I-I-I," he stumbled "that's quite alright, Holly, these things happen."

What!? He just let me off the hook, but why?

As I made my way to the back of the classroom, my usual seat, I realised my necklace was
in plain site. I tucked it inside my t-shirt and sat down next to my two best friends.

Amy turned to stare at me. "What took you so long?" Amy asked me.

"Didn't realize the time ticking by," I answered back, putting my books on the table.

Mathew leaned forward to see me. "Happy Birthday, Holly!" he whispered.

Thanks!"

"Oh yeah," Amy gasped, "you're finally sixteen," she clapped. I saw Mathew, lean back and roll his eyes.

"You are going to love the present we got you," Amy's voice got louder.

"Are you girls listening back there?" Mr. Varner shot us a stern look.

"Sorry, sir," we chanted.

~~~~~

When class was over we headed to our lockers, Mr. Varner hadn't even given me a detention so I was free to sit in the sun. We headed to our usual spot. Amy was hiding something behind her back and refused to tell me what it was, even though I obviously knew. We sat underneath the big oak tree, shaded from the sun. There were people running around on the oval playing footy and other sports.

Once we were settled Amy and Mathew started singing 'Happy Birthday'.

"Guys- no, stop!" I complained.

I hated people doing that. My whole life, whenever someone would sing me 'Happy Birthday' I would always get really embarrassed and turn red. Naturally today was no exception. As I continued to complain, people started staring, whether from the expression on my face or because of my friends terrible singing.

"Happy birthday to youuuuuu!" they finally finished.

"Happy birthday, Holly!" Amy said, taking her arms out from behind her back and handing me their gift.

"It's from both of us," Mathew announced, "it took us ages to find something just right... but in
the end..."

"Thanks guys," I said, pulling the ribbon off the box. I took the lid off to reveal a beautiful charm bracelet. What is with people and giving me jewelry today?

"Each charm represents a different part of your life, see," Mathew pointed to one of the charms, "this charm represents your birth and so on," he said, taking the bracelet out of my hands and placing it around my wrist.

"We wanted it to be special," Amy said, "Your sweet sixteen is not something to take for granted."

"Thanks guys!" I said, staring at all the different charms, "It's gorgeous."

"So what did your folks get you?" Mathew asked.

"I bet it's nothing compared to what we got you," Amy giggled.

"Well no, they've got nothing on your gift," I laughed to, "just the usual, you know. Clothes and a few books I've been wanting for a while. Caitlin got me this CD, by a band i don't even recognize." I laughed again, the cover read 'The Maine'.

"What about Adam?" Mathew ventured.

"Well that was a surprise," I began, reaching in to grab the necklace, "Adam got me this," I found the chain and pulled out the necklace.

"Ooooh!" Amy said, gazing at the necklace, "It's gorgeous! Where did he get it? Did he tell you?" Amy gushed.

"No, it was a real surprise," I said.

"It's nice," Mathew crossed his legs and stared at the necklace, "I didn't know Adam had it in him to be generous, but I guess I was wrong."

"Yeah, me too," I laughed.

Just then a soccer ball came flying through the air and hit on me the head. I dropped the muesli bar I was eating and turned in the direction the ball came from.

Mathew was on his feet first, he had the soccer ball tucked underneath his right arm.

I saw two boys running towards us. I recognized them as two boys in our class. Michael Faulkner and Chase Dwain.

"Hey," one of them called to us, Michael, "Can we have our ball back?"

They stopped running in front of us, Michael had his hands out in front of him expectantly, but Chase was staring at me with his mouth hanging open. He nudged Michael and then his jaw dropped too.
♠ ♠ ♠
This second chapter was kind of hard to write, I really didn't know how to start.
Any who, I hope you liked it.