Status: Currently Editing

My Story

Chapter Twenty-Two

Holly’s point of view

Yawning I rolled out of bed. It wasn’t until I had remembered the past days events that really woke up.

“Amy?” I asked, knowing I wouldn’t get a reply, Amy was at the hospital, and she didn’t even know I existed. Her best friend, I didn’t mean a thing to her now.

A hand flew to my mouth as I remembered what day it was, Saturday! Today was my date with Justin, how could I go? How could I have a good time? Amy didn’t know who I was and Matt, I knew, didn’t want me to see Justin at all. But he was wrong about Justin, he must have been. Justin was a really nice guy I knew he was.

I heard a knock on my bedroom door and Caitlin spoke, “Holly, I know you’re awake! Mum says to come downstairs if you want to go see Amy at the hospital, they’re leaving in half and hour.

“Okay!” I yelled back.

I walked over towards my closet and grabbed out a pair of jeans and t-shirt. Pulling on my clothes, I grabbed my chucks from under my bed and slipped them over my odd socks, I was still out of it.

I grabbed my necklace from my bed and tucked it inside my shirt before going downstairs.

“Morning honey,” my mother greeted me.

“Morning mum,” I smiled.

“How you holding up? I know you had a pretty rough day yesterday.”

“I’m fine mum, I just really want to get to the hospital,” I told her.

Grabbing the Nutella out of the cupboard I made myself some toast and went back upstairs to brush my teeth.

Ten minutes later I was back down stairs and ready to go. “Dad?”

“Yes Holly?” My dad replied from the living room.

I walked in and saw him sitting on the couch with today’s local newspaper. I saw the headline. ‘Whole School Engulfed in Mysterious Fire.’ Looking away from the newspaper—it was just too sad—I turned to my father, “Can we go see Amy now?”

Ruffling the paper he looked up at me with a grave look on his face, “Holly?”

“Yes?” I asked, shuffling my feet awkwardly.

“Are you okay?”

“Yes, I’m fine. I just really wanna get to the hospital,” I replied.

“Are you sure?” He asked again.

I almost rolled my eyes, “Yes dad. I’m fine. I’m just worried about Amy. It was true, I was worried about Amy, terribly worried, but I was more worried about my date with Justin. I would have to go in just a few short hours; I wasn’t ready for this. As I walked towards the car I hoped that Justin would understand my sullen mood, my best friend was in hospital after all. Then if she was, why didn’t I just cancel, rain checks still existed didn’t they? Of course they did. I’d just reschedule

“Welcome to Hollywood, boy you better live it up before it brings you down. Welcome to Hollywood, just got a grip on hoe to get around.” Started playing on my phone. Fumbling I pulled it out of my pocket. Caller ID informed me that it was Justin calling.

“Hey, Justin,” I smiled, not that he could see me.

“Hey babe, I was just calling about today,” Justin replied. For some reason it bothered me that he called me babe.

“Oh yeah?”

“Could you meet me at Knox at like 4:30?”

“Yeah sure, I’ll be there.”

“Great, I look forward to seeing you.”

“Same here. Bye.” I hung up. There was an uneasy feeling in my stomach, one that I couldn’t explain. It bothered me.

I heard the front door slam and the car unlock. Mechanically I jumped in, closing the door behind me. Dad didn’t enquire further about how I was feeling and mum didn’t say much at all. The ride to the hospital was quiet, too quiet. I felt like I needed to scream. It was all my fault, but I knew if I said anything my parents would only get mad. As usual I shouldn’t be blaming myself; nothing was ever my fault. Yeah right.

We pulled into the hospital parking lot, there weren’t many cars there, it was still early in the morning and no one was visiting yet.

Overnight the hospital had changed Amy’s accommodation, now she at the far end of the hospital and took much longer to get to.

As we walked in, I didn’t quite know what to say Amy didn’t remember me so it wasn’t like I cold just start a conversation. Amy’s parents were there, and mine took them to get coffee. That’s just what I needed wasn’t it? Time with my best friend who didn’t remember.

“Hey Amy,” I said shyly.

“Oh, hi.”

It was awkward for a moment, really awkward, then Amy spoke again.

“I’m sorry I don’t remember you. The doctor said my memory may never come back. I hope it will though. Tell me, were we friend?”

I smiled, “Yes, we were best friends, us and Matt.”

“Oh, the boy that was here yesterday?” Amy asked, sitting up.

I nodded.

A few minutes later Matt came and we all sat talking about what things were like before the fire. Amy listened intently; Matt did most of the talking. I kinda just sat there, listening too, I suppose. Things were so much better before all of this. If only we could go back, back to those carefree days. But I guess it was too late for that.

“Holly,” My mother came it, “It’s time to go.”

“Okay,” I nodded, “Bye Amy,” I stood up and followed me mother outside.

“Holly?” I turned to face him. Amy was sitting on the bed looking at us through the corridor window. She seemed worried.

“Yes Matt?” I asked, even though I was sure I knew what he was going to say.

“I stand by what I said before, Justin’s bad news.” And that was it, he turned around walked back into Amy’s room. Sitting down with his back to me.

I would have talked back, but my dad started pulling me along.
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, I know. I'm being really slow with updates. But it's holidays now, so hopefully I'll be updating more.
Oh and next chapter will defiantly be Holly's date.

Anyway thanks for reading
=)