Keep your friends close and your enemies, closer

Chapter four

So yeah. For the past month, my relationship with Kent was like how you probably would have expected it to be. I hated him and he hated me. We would try to play tricks on each other, and if they failed to work, we would embarrass each other.

One thing I was certain, and thankful (though I would never admit it), for was that Kent would never hurt me, no matter how many times I would punch, kick, slap, smack-

Well, you get the idea. He was a gentleman (I grudgingly admit). An annoying and evil gentleman, but a gentleman nonetheless.

However, he’s an awesome and perfect sweetie to everybody else. I swear, everybody loves him! If he and Summer were to get together, they would be the most loved couple. They’d be more famous than celebrities because, like I mentioned, everybody loves them!

I do wonder at times why he doesn’t flash me his famous stunning smile, that melts all the other girls’ heart. The only time his lips move upwards towards my direction was when he wanted to smirk at me.

All this time, I never knew why we fought. It was retarded, I tell you! Imagine. Being embarrassed by no reason whatsoever. I never asked him, though. We were never able to have a decent conversation before.

“Hey there.” Kent greeted, falling into step with me. We were in school and I was heading towards the cafeteria. It was already time for lunch for me- or, us.

The moment I set my sights on the guy, I started screaming while sprinting towards the cafeteria. Yeah, I was that scared of even walking next to him.

“Hey, Ash.” Ranger said conversationally from our table. “Is Kent coming in soon?”

I nodded and ran over to sit next to Harvey. Harvey always protected me from the big meanie, although he and Kent were pretty close.

I was about to say hi to Harvey when suddenly, Kent strode over to our table. He was a regular there, one of us, as much as I disliked the fact. And, as usual, he sat right across from me.

“Hey peepz.” He nodded towards the guys. “Pretty ladies.” He gave THE smile to Olesia, Melissa and Summer. The three of them giggled.

“You know, dude.” Dustin began. “If I didn’t know for a fact the Summer loves me, I would be thinking that she’s falling for you.” He accused.

Summer gave him a hug and whispered to him in an assuring kind of way. Kent just rolled his eyes. Dustin accused him of the same thing almost everyday.

“Hey Kent.” I called, pretty annoyed. “I’m a lady too, ya know.”

“Really?” He joked. “I hadn’t noticed.”

I could feel the hurt seeping into my eyes. I knew he didn’t like me, hate me even, but I always thought he’d acknowledge the fact that I am a girl. I mean, come on. I have boobs, I have girlie long hair. So which part of me didn’t look like a girl?

He must have noticed how I was feeling, because guilt instantly began pouring over his features. “Oh shit… I… But you… Damn it. You know I didn’t mean it, right Ash?” His voice was mostly filled with panic, and I knew why.

Harvey is pretty protective towards me. Understandable, because our moms were best friends and we’ve known each other since we were born. He was like my big brother. Not to mention the fact that he is built! Harvey would probably have hit him if he crosses the line and hurts me- physically or emotionally.

I started to laugh. His expression was priceless. Combined with the panic in his voice, the moment was priceless. I turned to look at Harvey.

Harvey was probably glaring at him. I mean, that was the only reason why Kent would apologize. But surprise, surprise. Harvey was listening to his Ipod.

So why would he apologize if Harvey wasn’t even paying attention to us? Oh right. Gentleman. But there was something else in his voice, besides panic. I wasn’t too sure what it was though. Worry? Concern? Something along those lines.

“Ash, you okay? I really am sorry if I hurt you. I didn’t mean it. You can do me back. Free of charge. I won’t disturb you back, even.” He comprised, still looking guilty.

I smiled at him. My first real smile towards this guy. “Nah, it’s okay. But thanks anyway.” And he grinned back! Not just any grin. It was THE grin!

“Hey guys.” Dustin began, his voice demanding attention. “You guys wanna come over tomorrow night? My parents will be out of town, but I’m not really in the mood for a big party. So, you wanna come and hang out anyway?”

Everybody agreed. Dustin’s crib was like the coolest one ever. His parents are like filthy rich. So whenever he holds a party, you can bet he doesn’t disappoint.

“Coolio. Come over the house at abouts eight, yeah?”

We nodded to what he just said. Little do I know, that that party would be the turning point of my life.