I Hope to God He Was Worth It

High School

Image

---

"Get up, Kay!" I heard Brendon say as he shook me.
"Get out and maybe I could!" I screamed back as I heard his footsteps leave my room.

I woke up with my head aching and my hair in knots as I headed to the bathroom.
I got out of the shower feeling refreshed and put on a new thick line of black eyeliner. I slipped on my white dress shirt and squirmed into my light blue skirt and put on my light blue vest.

"Can I use your eyeliner?" Ryan asked as he leaned again my bathroom door frame.
"Sure," I said as I threw my eyeliner at him.
"Why do you do that? Wait, let me rephrase that. How do you do that?" I laughed as he drew vines from his eyes to his cheek.
"Fashion Statement," he laughed as he searched for my eyeliner sharpener.
"Can I do it on you?" he asked me as he brought the eyeliner pencil to the side of my eye.
"Uh, sure," I said as he began to draw on me, perfectly.
"I think we need some bling to show that off," he laughed as he pulled out a box of gold, fake jewels.

He gently placed three of them on the side of my right eye.
He smiled at his creation and turned me around to see myself in the mirror.

"If you don't like it, you could rub it off if you want," he said as he scuffed his shoes on the ground and looked away embarrassingly.
"No, I love it," I said comfortingly as I headed out of the bathroom to find my backpack.
"We can be look-alikes today," Ryan laughed slightly as he linked his arm with mine.

Brendon soon came out of his room and linked his arm with my other arm, and we headed down the stairs which lead to the cement path and went all the way to school.

---

"Why do you do that with your make-up?" some girl asked Ryan with a disgusted look.

Ryan just ignored her, and we all went towards the sports wing, according to the school map.

"Look, football tryouts today," Brendon pointed out from a flyer.
"Are you trying out, Bren?" I asked with a quirked eyebrow.

He was never much a sports person, especially football.

"Nope, but I am," Ryan said with a grin as he looked down at his duffle bag with cleats and various things.
"Oh, what are you exactly going for?" I perked up.
"Quarterback," he said triumphantly as we made our way to the science wing, my first class.
"See you at lunch, Kay," Brendon said as he waved at me, and I entered my almost empty classroom.

I threw my backpack down at the back of the classroom, earning looks before the bell rang.

"You must be the new junior. I'm Derek," a guy with black shaggy hair, a lip ring, and green eyes said as he took a seat next to me.

He looked almost exactly like me, minus the lip ring and short hair.

"Kayley. Are you going to try out for football?" I asked randomly.
"Yea, running back. But, I might have to be out for the season. My heart is causing a lot of damage," he sighed.
"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Are you paying attention at all?" I asked randomly yet again.
"Uh, nope," he laughed lightly.
"How long have you been here in Las Vegas?" I continued on with my random questions.
"All my life that I can remember," he answered as he took down some notes.
"I just moved here. Apparently," I laughed lightly too as I also took down some notes from the chalkboard.

Yea, Las Vegas is so old school they have chalk boards.

"Do you want to come watch football tryouts after school?" Derek asked me when it was time to leave for second period.
"Sure, my other friend, Ryan, is trying out too," I said as I started to put my binders back in my backpack.
"Alright, I'll see you there," he smiled at me as we parted our ways down the halls.