I Hope to God He Was Worth It

The New Derrek

Image

---

The next day at school I avoided Ryan, at all costs.
I basically hung out with Derek, whom kept saying he was sorry for the previous day.

"Derek, for the 100th time, I don't care about yesterday!" I said as I threw my hands in the air.
"Alright he sighed as we both headed into an empty boys locker room.
"I have to tell you something," Derek said as he sat down on a nearby bench.
"Okay," I said as I sat next to him crossing my legs waiting for him to talk.
"I have to stay out of school for a while. This means I will have to quit the football team," Derek sighed as he held his head in his hands.

Suddenly a light bulb went off in my head, having a crazy idea with the greatest plan.

"Have you told Mr. Rawl yet?" I asked out of curiosity.
"No, why?" He asked as I smiled brightly.
"Alright, after I tell you this crazy yet brilliant plan please take it into consideration." I said with a pleading look.
"Okay?" He said in confusion as he directed all of his attention to me.
"I want to be you," I said.
"Elaborate please?" He asked.
"You said Mr. Rawl doesn't know you have to quit the football team and miss school for a while. I want to play your position on the football team," I stated.
"Why should I trust you with a position that makes our football team the best in the league?" Derek asked with suspicion.
"I, of all girls can be a running back. I can even pull off being you. As so, hi I'm Derek I play running back on our football team," I said as I held my hair back and talking in a deep voice.
"Haha, alright then. Give me two reasons why I should let you be me," Derek said as he put his feet up.
"You're enjoying this aren't you?" I asked as I stood up with my hands on my hips.
"Maybe," He laughed gently as he put his hands behind his head.
"I love football as much as you, maybe more. Also because of, Ryan," I mumbled the last part as he smiled at me.
"I heard you right," He laughed.
"So, yes or no?" I asked him as I sat next to him on the other side of the bench where his feet weren't.
"Fine, but I have short hair," He said as he played with my hair.
"I can fix that, after school." I laughed as I swatted his hand away from my hair.
"Sure, but another little glitch, well two," He stated.
"What now?" I asked him.
"I have a lip ring and he might check how I'm doing in school, which I'm not going to be in," He said as he pointed to his lip ring and held his hands out to the side.
"Can't have jewelry on while playing any kind of sport and dirty little secrets can cover anything," I said as I winked at him.
"Alright, I'll be at every game watching from afar." He smiled at me as I jumped on him, hugging him.
"Why do you want to get to Ryan so badly if you've been avoiding him all day?" Derek asked as I laid my head on his shoulder.
"I, really don't know," I said as I went through my head a couple of times thinking for a reasonable answer, but that's all I could come up with.
"You should get going, to do that haircut. Plus your brother might be suspecting something," Derek said as he got up.
"Alright, see you after school tomorrow. I'll stop by and say hello to you," I said as I fixed the two straps on my backpack.
"Locker number is 24-48," Derek called as I waved him off when I walked out of the locker room.

---

"Just cut it all off," I sighed to the hair dresser as she gave me a weird look.
"Alright, I still get paid anyways," She mumbled the last part but I just rolled my eyes and she cut away like I told her.

After she was done I put my hoodie on and walked to my house.
I opened the door to see Ryan laughing about something with Brendon, but I didn't care.
I ignored both of there voices as they called my name and went into my room.
I looked into my mirror and redid my hair, making it look at least a little better then it did look and put my hood back on.

"Why did you just ignore us like that?" Brendon asked as he burst into my room.
"For reasons Brendon, not please leave," I sighed as I fell onto my bed.
"Tell me what's wrong and I will." He said as he jumped on my bed and laid next to me.
"Well...Nevermind," I said as I turned my back to him.
"Come on Kay, you can tell me anything," Brendon said as he rested his chin on my rib cage.
"Ryan kissed me last night. I also cut off my hair," I said as I inhaled deeply.
"That's why you were avoiding us at school? Let me see," Brendon said as he pulled my hood off revealing my short hair.
"Your hair is so awesome!" He nearly screamed as his hand went through it.
"Uh, thanks," I shrugged as I felt myself dozing off.

I felt a new pair of arms wrap around me and Brendon left the room.
I glanced at who it was and Ryan laid there smiling at me.

"H-Hi," I stuttered as I started to breath unsteady.
"I, meant last night." He said as he sat up releasing his grip from my waist.
"No you didn't," I sighed as I buried my head into my pillow.
"How would you know?" Ryan asked me as his voice got shakey.
"Because, no one loves me. I'm just a friend, someone who just stands in the crowd," I said as I abruptly stood up and started pacing the room.
"Kay, stop pushing me away for once. Let me love you for once," Ryan said as he stood in front of me making me stop pacing around.
"I can't do this," I sighed as I opened my bedroom door and shuffled down the staircase.

I really don't know why I'm pushing Ryan away, I loved him the same.

---

Today, I was scared shitless for football practice.
I had to be the runningback and Ryan was throwing the ball to me.
After school I hurried into the boys locker room before the were there and wrapped my chest up with some type of wrap I had from when I sprained my ankle.
Before I put my helmet on I ruffled my hair into place like Derek's.
The boys started to file in while I put on my cleats.

"Linsky, what are you doing here so early?" Ryan asked me as he slapped my shoulder.

It took me a while to respond because I forgot my last name was now Linksy.

"Oh, I thought I should come in and get a head start," I said in the deepest voice I could.
"Oh, alright," He laughed quietly as he started to take his shirt off.

I glance at him and sighed heavily.
I got up and left the locker room rather quickly heading out to the football field.
I don't want him to think Derek is gay.
Haha, gay.

---

"Linksky good job today son," Mr.Rawl told me as he slapped me butt.

How awkward, if he knew who I really was, my god.

"Shower time boys!" Mr. Rawl called as the boys and I headed in to the shower room all muddy and sweaty.

Good thing about being on the football team, you aren't made fun of for sweating a whole lot.
Shit, showers, nakedness!

"I have to go Mr.Rawl, family meetings and stuff, bye!" I said as I grabbed my back pack and clothes and ran down the street towards Derek's house.