Learn to Spell, God!

If We're Keeping Score

Johnny’s POV

So here we are again, back on the move. I’ve lost track of the dates officially now. Apparently we’re slightly behind our travel schedule because of what happened, and thus we miss a night in a hotel. But no one minds or at least they won’t let on that they do. It’s probably best that we’re all together for now, for security. I think Brian’s quite thankful that we’re not separated by hotel rooms; taking care of Sophie isn’t going to be easy for him. It’s like he’s become a parent over night, what with all the medication she’s taking to help her jaw. She’s also now got post traumatic stress and she can’t sleep because she keeps having nightmares.

“J-Johnny?” Danni whispered in my ear, trying not to draw the attention of the others to us. “I’m worried, about Sophie. She’s all depressed now. But she wasn’t when we were at the hospital.”

I gripped her hand tightly in mine.

“She got raped, had her jaw broken and aborted a pregnancy. I think she’d inclined to a little bit of negativity.”

“Yeah I get that, but she’s never been like this before. It’s just weird for me.” I rubbed circles on her legs through the denim of her jeans, unsure what to say to comfort her.

“Can I ask, why are we still watching this when Sophie’s spark out not even ten minutes in, after hitting people endlessly with that god forsaken whiteboard so she could watch this film?” Matt grumbled.

“Dude! He just went and fuckin’ farted in the guys face!” Jimmy’s face creased with laughter and he doubled up in his chair.

“I think that answered your question, Matt. Jimmy wanted to watch the film too.” Brian forced a smile in Matt’s direction.

Matt had a point though; none of us really enjoyed the idea of watching ‘Alvin and the Chipmunks’ but Sophie had bullied us into watching it. I don’t think her pain killers had kicked in when we had decided to dispute her choice. And now, she was curled up in Brian’s arms, fast asleep. At any rate, she’s finally managed to fall asleep.

We continued to watch, and even laugh at, the film. It was pretty good, for a kid’s movie. Not to mention seriously funny! It’s amazing how movies can get away with putting so many innuendoes in, despite the fact it’s aimed at kids.

The bus was practically rocking with laughter as the film finished. It’s a wonder we didn’t wake Sophie up. Pippa had asked whether we should wake her when we’d all eaten lunch. However, Brian had quite explicitly said no to this idea. Obviously thankful that Sophie’s new found slumber would lighten her mood later on. I’m almost certain he was trying to postpone having to talk to her too.

*

Brian cleared his throat nervously, breaking the silence which had been standing for some time now. Danni was asleep, using my shoulder as a pillow, and I was doing my best at pretending t be asleep; I wanted to know how Gates was going to tackle this problem.

“Urmmm . . . Sophie?”

I opened my eyes slightly, ready to measure her reaction to what he had to say. Her head was set at an angle, obviously waiting for him to continue.

“I, I need to tell you something. It’s kind of important.”

Sophie held up her hand to pause him. She disappeared into the kitchen and I heard the fridge open, then close, followed by a cupboard doing the same.

“Johnny if you’re pretending to be asleep just to eavesdrop in on this, I swear to God I’ll . . .” He trailed off, but I could still feel his stare on me.

A smirk was pulling on the corners of my mouth. I couldn’t stop myself as a shit eating grin pulled its way over my face. Brian growled slightly at this. I opened on eye completely to see his face burning with rage. Someone was a little bit pissed off with me, evidently.

“She won’t care, Bri. She’s gonna understand.” I reassured him. He didn’t look too soothed by my words, but I know I’m right.

As if on cue, Sophie returned with a glass of something. I’m guessing she’d gone and had her medication and was now just washing the numerous tablets down. She sat, replacing the drink with her whiteboard and scrawled something on it.

Sorry, needed drugs. My jaw is killing, and my hand’s hurting from writing.

She forced a small, apologetic smile.

“It’s fine, really. I . . . I need to tell you something about the other night.” A look of horror proceeded to work its way over Sophie’s features. “You know it was Alex . . . Alex Varkatzas who did that to you. Well, it wasn’t . . . it’s my entire fault! Last year I had a big domestic with Michelle and, I slept with Varkatzas’ girl. He never forgave me and now . . .” He broke down into tears.

Sophie shuffled along the chair towards him. She lifted his face from his hands, staring intently into his eyes. After a moment, Brian cringed away from her, leaving a scowl on her face. She popped the lid off the pen and wrote something, a very long something by the time it was taking her. She then continued to hit Brian’s arm and get his attention. Brian ignored her and stood. This time she got really mad.

“Brian Haner! You sit your arse down on this fucking sofa and you damn well listen to me!” As soon as the words left her mouth she crumpled. Speaking was not the best idea she’s ever had.

I was through pretending to be asleep now, and my mouth hung open at the fact she had actually spoken. Brian too was stunned, frozen half turned to the door. I regained conscious thought first and jumped over the coffee table to Sophie’s side.

No damage done. Do me a favour Johnny and tape my mouth shut please.

Always with the humour, even after everything.

I’m in love with a man-whore.

That was very true. I heard Brian laugh weakly before coming and taking my place in inspecting Sophie. She wriggled her face out of his hands, throwing her own around his middle. Her compassion shocked him; he’d obviously thought he was beyond forgiveness this time.

“Ow!” Brian yelled. Sophie had hit him over the back of his head, with the whiteboard.

You dare ever ignore me again and I can promise I will invert your penis.

Even I gulped as I read the last message. Danni had woken and was quaking with laughter on the sofa, apparently amused by the threat posed by Sophie.
♠ ♠ ♠
A little summut for those creative types.
It'd be a great favour if you'd read tht journal ^^

Anyway, slightly not-so chapter. It's a tad bitty. The next one is so much better.
And I know this cus it is virtually finished now.
5 comments for the next one (Y)
In tht time I shall finish it, and write my third one.

xxx