Status: Finished

The Tiniest Lie Rips Out Your Whole Soul

Chapter 17: Truth

I sat in the living room of the bureau. It was empty because everyone was off in training. I was thinking of Matthew. His kiss had stunned me. I never thought I could feel like this. Yet, I felt like something was missing. A missing piece of the puzzle.

I played with my fingers as I thought about everything recently in my life. I woke up about a hundred years into the future as a vampire, a powerful one at that who has one of the most complicated lives EVER!

I missed my life. Knowing that Olivia, my baby sister and James my baby brother were dead and that Jacob was evil and Daniel was old didn’t help my situation. Why couldn’t I have a simple life?

Now, instead of complaining I’m going to start looking for a way to solve all of my problems. First things first, I have to get Jacob back. That meant I would have to learn everything again. It could take months, but I just wanted to have my brother back.

It’s probably my fault he ended up in Edward’s grasps.

I felt the couch rise and I looked over and saw Allison.

“Oh, hey.” I whispered, I still remembered she lied to me about my whole family being dead.

“I’m due in three weeks.” She said as she rubbed her stomach. I looked over at her. Kids, I wished to have kids too, but can Vampires get pregnant?

“Are you a vampire, Allison?”

She looked away from her stomach and to me. She grinned but shook her head.

“I’m human, well, not for long, Matthew is going to change me as soon as I give birth… it’s a boy you know.”

I smiled. “What are you going to name him?”

“His father’s name…” We locked eyes as she said. “Matthew.”

She saw the twitch in my eyes and I almost gasped in surprise. Instead I just looked over at something random in the room.

“Congratulations… to the both of you.” I said through gritted teeth.

“Thank you, I bet he’s going to look just like Matthew, black hair and blue eyes.”

She was practically stomping on my heart. I managed to smile as best I could. Why didn’t Matthew tell me? Wait… he’s married.

“You and Matthew are married?” I tried to sound as casual and sincere as possible.

She shook her head and I almost sighed in relief. “We’re engaged.” She took my breath away. “Wedding is coming up soon.” She giggled.

“Yay.” I said weakly. “Why did you lie to me Allison?”

Allison froze and then sheepishly smiled at me.

“My whole family isn’t dead; Daniel and Jacob are still alive.” I narrowed my eyes at her I saw fear flash through her eyes.

“Well, Jacob might as well be good as dead, don’t you think?” She smirked and I raised my hand out of instinct to slap her but then I caught a glimpse of her stomach and put my hand down.

She was covering her face instead of her stomach. Something told me she would be a bad mother.

“You had no right to lie to me like that; I never did anything to you.”

She scoffed. “You… you have done a lot to me you just don’t remember.”

“Tell me what I’ve done to you, because so far all I’ve been is nice.”

“You have his heart.” She screamed in my face and stomped away fuming with anger. I stood there dumbfounded, who was she talking about? I don’t have anyone’s heart.

I exhaled deeply and rubbed my face hoping to wash away some of the stress. My training with Matthew would start tomorrow morning and we hope that with training it would spark some memories because he told me that I would spend most of my time training to defeat Itachi.

My old self and I have the same goal, take down Itachi and get our brother back.

On the morning of the training I waited patiently for Matthew in the training room. I saw the weights and all that crap. I wasn’t sure if I could life those heavy things but being a vampire means having super human strength.

The door opened and he was wearing sweat pants and a tank top shirt that showed his pale skin and well formed biceps. I forgot how to think and breathe for a couple of seconds. Then I remembered he was going to be the father of someone’s kid and that brought me back to the cold and hard reality.

He clapped his hands, unaware that I knew of his child, and smiled at me.

“You have a big day, so… let’s starts with some basic stretching.”

I copied his every move as we stretched. He told me we would be running around the forest for a couple of minutes. He took out of his pocket a device. It was a small square. He extended it to me and I took it with curiosity.

“What is this?” I asked as I examined it.

“It’s called an I-pod shuffle.” He explained. I raised an eyebrow.

“Uh, am I supposed to know what that is?”

He chuckled at my ignorance. I didn’t think it was funny at all. I lost ALL of my memories for Christ’s sake! I playfully glared at him.

“Fine, go ahead and laugh at my amnesia.” I rolled my eyes, my arms crossed at my chest and I tapped my foot impatiently.
“Sorry, love, it’s just, you used to take this wherever you went.”

I hated how much I loved to hear him call me ‘love’ or ‘pet’. I growled.

“So, how does this… shuffle work?” I asked. He took it from me and pressed the sideways triangle and it started out with a soft tune that turned really loud.

I yelped and took the earphones out. Matthew stifled a laugh.

“What was that?”

“Your music.”

“I listened to that?!” I exclaimed shocked.

“Well, you like the lyrics of the song, here try this, it’s called ‘Audience of One’ by Rise Against.”

“Rise Against what?” I raised an eyebrow cautiously.

He grinned. “It’s the name of the band.”

I hesitated as he offered me an earphone to listen. I figured I could trust him and I took the ear phone and placed it.

The beat was great and it caught me the second I heard the singer sing. He had so much passion in his voice.

“—In the years of wet cement, the days blurred into each other, though everything seemed clear. We cruised along at half speed, but then we shifted gears. We ran like vampires from a thousand burning suns, but even then we should have stayed…” My lips moved along with the song. I didn’t even know I knew it so well.

“It’s a good song.” Matthew snapped me back.

“Oh, yeah, I love… Rage Against already.” I grinned.

“Rise Against, not Rage.” He corrected.

I shrugged. “Close enough, right?”

He nodded. “Let’s get started.” He clipped the shuffle to short sleeve and then he took me outside the forest and we ran side by side.

I concentrated on the songs and once again found myself singing along as if I’ve known these songs all of my life. Some of the songs I recognized from my time, mostly ‘Swing’ songs. When Matthew and I stopped I was a little out of breath.

He walked me back to the training room where he made me do the same hit over and over again until it looked flawless, which didn’t happen.

“Well, we’re done for today.” He said. I nodded and headed out the door without another word.

He was at the door with a confused look.
“What’s wrong?” He asked concerned.

“Nothing.” I lied. He studied me and exhaled.

“What is it? Tell me.” He insisted.

I glared at him. “Why did you fail to mention that you’re going to be a father?!”

His eyes grew wide and then narrowed.

“Allison.” He summarized in one word.

“I knew she was pregnant, I mean she’s as big as a whale, but I didn’t know it was yours!” I screeched.

“I was going to tell you, but… there are some things I can’t say.”

“Yeah, sure, I guess, let me go now.”

“No, yes, Allison is pregnant and I’m giving the baby my last name, but it’s not mine.”

My eyes widen like saucer. “WHAT?!”

“It’s Edward’s. I can’t say more because it’s sort of her secret.”

“Why does she keep lying to me?” I asked astonished. How could she be so evil?

“Because you have my heart.”

I thought about what he said and connected it to what Allison said. She was mad at me because Matthew loved me and not her. She was just jealous. But I couldn’t deny a baby to have a father; I know how hard it is to grow up without a father figure to be around.

“What happened to my dad, Matt?”

I felt his body tense.

“I’ll tell you when… you’re ready.”

“I know he’s dead, but… how did he die?”

“Like I said, when you’re ready I’ll tell you, not now, you’re not ready to hear the truth.”