Status: Finished

The Tiniest Lie Rips Out Your Whole Soul

Chapter Two: Old Friends

As I waited in the new lobby of the new headquarters of the bureau, I closed my eyes and tried to remember the last time I stood here and it came to me quickly. His eyes on mine, his right knee on the floor and on his open palm a box that held a ring. But as the beautiful memory processes in my mind, it is taken away by a sound… Kaboom! It was the sound that changed my life for the worst.

“Ms. Johnson?” A human called for me, he was wearing a suit and he was nervous because he knew what I was.

“Yes?”

“He’s ready to see you now.”

“Thank you, Mr.…?”

“Smith, John Smith.” He said quickly, he was clearly nervous because his heart was accelerating.

I rose from my seat and walked across the lobby and as I walked he thought of how graceful I moved. He was clearly not familiar with vampires because he gawked at me, which was something I was totally used to by now.

Mortal men gawked at my “beauty”. He thought I was perfect. Once I was in front of him he held his breath.

“Are you going to take me, Mr. Smith or are you going to gaze at me?”

He cleared his throat and mentally slapped himself.

“My apologies… I’m just not used to… to um—“

“Meeting vampires?” I finished for him and he only nods. He turns red as he turns his heel and begins to lead me to the library which is where I was going to see an old friend of mine.

I was surprised to hear he was still alive. He’s at least eighty-seven years old, like me. I turned eighty-seven a couple of days ago and yet I still looked the same as eighty-years ago when I was actually seventeen years old.

He led me down a hall with many metal doors and some were opened and others were shut. The ones opened showed all kinds of creatures being examined. I didn’t bother to look because it was normal to me when I had lived here fifty years ago.

John Smith kept glancing over his shoulder.

“Am I going to slow for you, Ms. Johnson?”

“No, it’s fine, John.” I said, I backed it up with a smile and like all men his heart skipped a beat.

He came to a halt in front of medium size wood doors. He opened one and gestured his hand for me to go in. I walked past him and entered a library. Classical music was playing and on the right side of the library was a glassed tank and three podiums were in front of them, each with an opened book.

“He’ll be here any minute.” He bowed his head.

“John, relax… I’m not going to hurt you.” I half-laughed. He chuckled nervously.

“O-okay.” He stuttered.

“Evening, Emilia.” A sweet and calm voice called from behind the glass tank.

“Evening, Abraham.” I walked towards the tank. He bowed his head and I did too.

“It is a pleasure to see you again.”

“Same here, Abe.”

“Is that you, Emily?” I turned at the sound of my name and was a bit shocked to be called ‘Emily’ again because most of the time I was used to being called Ms. Johnson or my full name.

“Nicholas,” He looked so… old. His hair was entirely white and wrinkles everywhere but his brown eyes still shined as ever. I walked over to Nicholas and hugged him very gently because I was afraid of breaking him---because I could. “You look… older?”

We both laughed.

“Ah, Emily, you still look the same.”

“Yes; immortality tends to keep you young forever.” I joked.

The door opened and four entered the library, I only recognized three of them: there was Hellboy, Liz, and my brother Daniel, he was also gray haired and he had wrinkles. The last time I saw him he was around fifty or sixty, now he’s around seventy-something. The other person was a human. He looked scared as hell; he wore a suit.

“Emily!” Daniel came to me and I hugged him like I hugged Nicholas, very careful so I didn’t break him. “My goodness, you look so… young!”

We both laughed.

“Thank you, Danny.” I half-smiled; I heard HB think something and I looked at him. “I’m eighty-seven years old.” He was thinking how old I was.

Liz smacked his chest with the back of her hand.

“Rude thing to say, HB.”

“I didn’t say anything.”

“Abe.” He was coming in with his breathing device.

“Emily.” He gave me a nod.

“Agent John Myers.” The mortal stretched out his hand. I looked at it for a second before taking it and shook his hand.

“Agent Emily Johnson. How long have you been working here?”

“Two years.”

“And you follow HB around?”

“Hey! What is that suppose to mean?” HB barked and I chuckled.

“I’m here for business, anyways.” I ignored HB’s question and looked over to Nicholas who was suddenly serious.

“Right, let’s get to it.”

“He doesn’t know I’m here, right?” I asked Nicholas as everyone else went to a long rectangular table that was at the other end of the library.

“No, he’s on another mission in Mexico, Emily.” Nicholas rolled his eyes. He looked like he wanted to say something else.

“Do you want me to read your mind? You have something to tell me.”

“It’s more like advice.”

“What is it?”

“I think you should talk to him.”

“Why?” I asked hardheartedly.
“Because you need to talk things out with him, that’s why!” Nicholas hissed. “You left him without a warning, Emily, he deserves an explanation—“

“He knows why I left!” I raised my voice; I knew we had everyone’s attention.

“You still left him. Do you have any idea what that did to him?”

I scoffed.

“Yeah, and it was so easy for me to leave him behind.” I used my best sarcastic tone to get my point across. “We’re not talking about this anymore.” I ordered.

“Yes ma’am.” He nodded, I felt bad for almost yelling at him, but I didn’t want to bring him up.