Something Better

Chapter 3

Joe's P.O.V.

"How about this one?"

I just grunted. Then the lady went over to a different case.

"This one is our newest arrival. I think she'll love it."

Again, I responded with a grunt. Nick threw his hands in the air beside me.

"Joe! Oh my God, just pick a freaking ring and let's go! We've been here for almost two hours, looking at every jewelry store they have in this freaking mall. And you don't like any of the rings they've showed you. Ahh!!" He stormed off and slumped in a chair inside the jewelry store.

I turned away from the tired looking lady and looked at Nick. "Nick, it HAS to be perfect. I don't want to settle for just a beautiful ring. It has to be amazing. So amazing that she's going to sit there and stare at it for the rest of her life."

Nick just rolled his eyes and looked at the ceiling. Kevin was no where to be found. He left us a while ago to go find a wedding present for Kristen. Yeah, their wedding is only in a few weeks.

I did feel bad for Nick, though. I had been forcing him to come with me from store to store to find the perfect ring for Alyssa. I am going to ask her to marry me.

I sighed and looked back at the lady. "I'm sorry. I can't find anything here." I started to walk over to Nick.

"Wait!" She called.

I turned around to find the lady staring at me with a huge smile across her face.

“I think I have just the ring for you.” She started walking out from behind the counter. Nick groaned beside me.

“Dear Lord, please no more looking. I’ve had enough for today. There is no pleasing Joe.” The lady walked over to us.

“No. I’m positive you’ll find this ring to be the most amazingly perfect ring you’ve ever seen. The ONLY amazingly perfect ring you’ll ever see.”

I suddenly became very interested in this amazingly perfect ring. I furrowed my eyebrows together. I looked behind me and saw Nick was still sitting in the chair.

“Dude, get up and let’s go.” I tried pulling on his arm a little bit.

“No way. I have been following you for the past two hours, going to every mall and jewelry store there is in this freaking state! And now, I just want to relax.” He glared at me.

I let go of his arm and softened my stare at him.

“Nick, look. I’m really sorry. You’re right, it’s selfish of me to drag you everywhere I go when this doesn’t even involve you. But… I can’t help it. I want what’s best for Alyssa. I want to give her everything. If I could, I would buy her the world. You have to at least see where I’m coming from. Don’t you want to give Rachel more than she dreams of?”

My voice was soft as I tried to make him understand where I was coming from. My whole life revolves around Alyssa. Everything I do, it has something to do with her. I’m ready to spend the rest of my life with her. She’s carrying my child. Just Alyssa and the baby are all that matters to me right now.

Nick looked back at me, his eyes also softened. A smile spread across his face.

“Let’s go check out that amazingly perfect ring.” He said.

I smiled wide and started jumping up and down saying, “Thank you, thank you, thank you!”

He just laughed at me and we followed the lady into the back room. She was smiling wide as well.

When we were in, she closed the door behind us and flicked on a light. The room was good sized. Not too big, not too small. It almost looked like a shed with boxes everywhere. There was a small space in the middle of the room that didn’t have any boxes. The lady led us there and she started searching through numerous boxes.

“Ah, here it is.” She brought out this medium sized box, as if it was holding a bracelet, but a square instead of a rectangle.

“This piece of jewelry isn’t even up for sale yet. They wanted to put it on the market, but it’s so expensive they don’t think it’ll get a lot of sales. I could get in big trouble for selling it to guys, so you have to promise you won’t tell anyone where you got it.” She looked serious.

“Agreed.” I said a little too fast. I didn’t care. However expensive it was, Alyssa is worth it.

She nodded and opened up the folded brown box. Inside was a little styrophone box. She took the top off and Nick and I both gasped at the same time. It was the most beautiful ring I had ever seen in my entire life. And probably the most beautiful ring I will ever see. It was perfect for Alyssa.

“How much?” Nick asked for me. As I was at a loss for words.

The lady breathed in through her teeth, making a hissing sound, and said, “11, 050 dollars.”

I think I just heard my wallet scream.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey sorry it took so long for this chapter to come out. I have been really busy lately. Blame school. Anyway, enjoy!!
SIX STARS ALL READY!!!!! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!!!

:)