He Saved Me, Loved Me, Wanted Me

XVII.

“Don’t peek until we say,” I heard Lacey say.

“I unfortunately trust myself in you,” I told her. She was the one who was given the job of covering my eyes. We went up a couple stairs, and I heard a door open. I heard the light switch flip on, and Lacey’s hands moved down from my eyes. I opened them and was bombarded.

“SURPRISE!” everyone said. More people were in waiting around the mound of gifts. Zina was there, along with every one’s mothers. I hugged them all, especially Zina. I had missed her.

“Why was it this late?” Zina asked me.

“I have no clue,” I responded with a laugh.

“Wow, look at you,” Kim, Colonel Sander’s Mom said to me, rubbing my stomach. I’ve grown used to it. It feels really good when Brian’s doing it, though. Suzy and McKenna were there, too. I hugged them and said hello.

“Are you surprised?” Val asked with a smile.

“About the surprise baby shower? Just a tad,” I said with a laugh and thanked her with a hug. We were at Brian’s parent’s house, and Brian Sr. was nowhere to be found.

“Where’s the Sr.?” I asked.

“He’s meeting Brian’s group wherever they’re going,” Suzy told me.

“They couldn’t even tell me?” I asked her.

“Nope.” We both laughed.

“Can we have cake now?” McKenna asked impatiently.

I laughed and pulled her into me.

“Sure we can. I’d love some.”

I’m happy this wasn’t some out of control, wild party night considering who some of the people I hung out with were, but I was pleasantly surprised that they had helped plan a baby shower for me.

Suzy pulled out a large cake into the dining room saying ‘Congratulations,’ on the top. Across the walls there were banners and balloons saying ‘It’s a boy!’ or ‘Welcoming Ian Lucas Haner soon,’ somewhere. I loved it.

After cake I opened all my presents, and let me tell you, these people were spoiling me. I got various bottles, toys, clothes. Michelle even designed a little onesie saying ‘My daddy rocks better than yours.’ It was too cute. I cried when I opened the little booties Val got me, as I did when I saw the expensive rocking chair Leana had bought for me. It was placed in the garage meticulously and we had to move out there to see it.

“Thank you so much, you guys, I couldn’t ask for anything more,” I told everyone. They all said ‘You’re welcome’ in their own way.

Soon the night had come to a close and it was time to go home to Gena’s. Tomorrow, I’d get married.