Status: Completed!

Caught up Between Two Loves

Chapter Sixteen

I knew I was alone in this since the guys were busy. I rubbed my right cheek while driving around town. It helped me to think clearly. I glanced at my watch and saw that I had seven hours till our date. I had to be done by then or at least an hour early. I was going to do something I wouldn’t dream of doing and that’s heading to Manchester alone without the team. I groaned not wanting to do it, but I had to for Rachel. The first step was to call Ferguson. Oh how delighted he would be when he’ll hear my voice. Don’t ask how I got his number, that’s a long story and time’s running.

I reached for my cell and dialed the number. Of course, it wasn’t his personal line just the number of his office. After a few rings, the secretary answered. “Hello?”

“Hola! Is this Sir Alex Ferguson’s office?”

“Yes, how may I help you?”

I took a deep breath before asking hopefully “Is there a possibility that I could meet up with him in an hour maybe two?”

“I’m sorry, sir. Sir Alex is really busy this week. Would you like me to arrange the meeting for next week? He’s free on Tuesday.”

I punched the steering wheel and shook my head. There had to be some way to get a hold of him. “This is really important. It cannot wait till next week! I demand to see him today!”

The secretary started to apologize that there was no way then suddenly stopped. I furrowed my eyebrows wondering what had happened. Other voices were heard, but it wasn’t clear. “Hello?” I said getting impatient. If she wasn’t going to let me see him then I would have to go and see him myself.

“Who am I speaking to?” It was the secretary again.

I couldn’t let out my true identity and was a little surprised that she didn’t recognize me. I tried to maintain a low profile not wanting the press to find out about it. I knew that eventually they would, but still I was trying to avoid that as much as I could.

“Sir? Hello?” Now it was my turn not to speak. I stayed silent for a moment and was about to say something, but was interrupted by a manly voice.

“Who’s this?” I recognized that accent to belong to the man I wanted to see. His tone revealed that he was pissed.

I cleared my throat and said “Hello, sir. Um, it’s Fernando Torres.” I waited for a response nervously. I wasn’t sure what his reaction could be.

“Torres?! You wanted to see me?” I smirked at his surprised tone.

“Yes, sir. I wanted to discuss a matter with you and asked for your secretary to arrange a meeting in an hour or two, but…” He cut me off.

“Never mind her. Once you get here I’ll make sure that you’ll be sent to me immediately.”
“Thank you! I’m on my way. And one more thing, sir…Mind keeping this out of press sight?”
“I’ll try, but I’m not promising anything.”

After we said our goodbyes I hung up and was on my way to Manchester. There was no traffic, so I would get there in 45 minutes. Halfway there, I got a call from Rachel. I had forgotten to tell her what time to get ready.

“I’ll come by at around 6:30 or 7. Sorry, I forgot to tell you.”

“It’s alright, love. I’ll see you then. I love you.”

I grinned. “I love you too!”

I sighed hanging up. Truth was, I wasn’t sure how she would take what I was about to do for her. And now, the second step was to meet the boss. I was really nervous while parking at Old Trafford and hoped to God that I wouldn’t bump into any of the players, especially Cristiano. Oh the things I would do to that guy once I lay my eyes on him!

My fists clenched involuntarily. I calmed down walking up to the receptionist. She was in shock and noticed a light shade of pink forming on her cheeks. Though she may be attractive, but my heart already belonged to someone else. The woman made a call then told me the direction to Ferguson’s office. I nodded thanking her and made my way there.

While walking, I couldn’t help but glance at the walls. I had never been in that area before. There were pictures of many passed players of the club. I had to admit that I looked up to a few of them. Finally, I made it to his office. I knocked and heard a ‘come in.’ I took a deep breath and entered.

There he was, the man of the hour in his chair behind the desk. Ferguson stood as I extended my hand. “Ah, Fernando! So nice to see you.” He shook my hand.

“A pleasure, sir. Thank you for agreeing to see me in a short notice.” I smiled lightly before sitting in front of him.

“It’s no problem. Now, I’m a little surprise that you asked for an appointment and frankly I don’t know what you need to see me for…Did you want to be signed here?” He asked jokingly.

I laughed “No offense, sir but I’d like to stay in Liverpool for a while.”

“Understandable. So, tell me…What is it that you want?”

I let out a breath and started my story. “Well as you know Rachel and I are an item and she told me about the job you so kindly offered her. She was thrilled yet doubtful at the same time…” He cut me off quickly.

“You want me to take back the offer? I know that it’s hard on her, but think about her feelings before yours lad. I heard that she always wanted to work here.”

“I know, sir. Today she told me that she’s going to turn down the job. Don’t get me wrong, I was beyond happy but I still think that she’s making a mistake.”

“I see…What do you want from me then?” He asked curiously while leaning forward.

“I suggest that you don’t take no for an answer. I really want her to be happy and not regret her decision. I feel that I’m the one who’s holding her back.” That was part of the reasons she was going to turn down. I didn’t want to tell him that one of your star players upset my girlfriend and because of him she’s going to turn down the job.

“If she still turns it down? Honestly, my boy I don’t see how I can help you here.” He said leaning back in his chair.

What was I supposed to do now? He’s right, Rachel would still refuse. I had to think fast, time was running. Finally, I got it! “There’s still a few months left for the season to be over and I think that it’s best if she starts working next season. Maybe then she will agree to work for you after I do some convincing on my part.”

The manager seemed to be in thought and I knew that he couldn’t say no to my idea. I was right! “Good thinking, Torres. I’ll tell her that tomorrow in our meeting.”

I got up grinning and shook his hand. “Thank you, sir.”

“It was no problem, my boy. Listen…” He motioned for me to come closer and put his hand on my shoulder. “I underestimated you earlier and I apologize. I see that you want nothing but her happiness. It’s none of my business, but I hope that you two have a bright future together. You make a great couple!”

I blushed. “Thanks again. I’ll make sure to have a future with her.” Did I really just say that? Well it was true. It was still early, but I could see us married with children running around the garden.

I snapped out of my daydream as I exited the office. I was so happy for her yet why my heart was hurting? Yes, it would be difficult not seeing her everyday but it’s an hour away at the most so there shouldn’t be that big of a problem. The only problem was Cristiano Ronaldo. I never did trust him, especially around Rachel. That boy should think twice before laying a finger or even his eyes on her. I tried to picture how her life would be here at Manchester. It was a long walk till the exit and I had to occupy my mind with something.

For one, she would be happy and giddy working here. She told me about wanting to meet her heroes and I chuckled at that. It made her pissed and it took me a while to calm her down. Then there was that devil called Ronaldo. I was sure that Rachel would be annoyed seeing his ugly face every day, I know I would. He would make her life hell here! I know I was exaggerating there, but you never know. I bumped into someone, but neither of us fell. Before I could look up I apologized. And when I did, I regretted saying those three words and said quickly after.

“I’m sorry that I had to see your face, Ronaldo.” I glared at him and was about to say something, but he cut me off.

“Well, I’m also sorry to see yours.” Now it was his turn to glare back at me. We stood there staring at each other waiting for the other person to look away or at least say or do something. I was getting red by anger and wanted to beat the crap out of him, but restrained myself.

“What are you doing here? You don’t belong here, Torres! Did you just stop by to force Sir Alex into taking back his offer? Tsk tsk. Rachel would be so disappointed.” He smirked and my fists clenched ready to punch him, but they stayed still at my sides.

“It’s none of your business! Watch where you’re going next time.” I said before walking away. I didn’t want to cause a scene and start a fight. He had to have the last words.

“It is my business when it comes to Rachel, you should know this by now.” I turned around to see the smirk still plastered on his face and wanted so badly to wipe it off.

“What? Can’t take it when another man, a real man is in her life? I must stay she’s quite the catch and would love her to be mine and she will once she moves here.” Ronaldo was playing with my patience and it seemed to work. I still refused to respond and turned back.

“Pathetic! You can’t even stand for yourself. I don’t know what Rachel sees in you. You’re just a coward!” That had done it. I walked up to him and punched his nose hard before pulling my arm back. Soon after I left him there on the floor while he cursed holding his bloody nose. I smirked triumphantly and left old Trafford and headed back to Liverpool. My job here is done!