Tomb Raider: The Midnight Stone

Chapter Two - The Salt Sea

LOCATION - Australia - The Salt Sea
Surfacing, Lara gulped several times; revelling in how cool and crisp the air tasted in a parched mouth. Leaning back against the water, she marvelled at how clear; yet deep, the pool was, giving it the appearance of a basin of liquidised crystal. Cupping some in her hands, she splashed it on her face; waking herself up after the long tire-some flight.
Laying back completely, she submerged her head under the surface; then playfully flipped her hair up again, letting it cascade down her back. Heading for a rock ledge on the opposite shore, she speedily ploughed her way through the pool; with strength only an athlete could muster.

Heaving herself up onto the stone platform, she yelped at how hot and sharp the salt upon it was underneath her fingertips, in contrast to the calming pool she had just leaped out of.
Sighing heavily, Lara glanced at her destination; the Temple Of Fire. Utterly in awe of the formidable structure, Lara jogged towards the large double doors; a glittering object catching her eye. On closer inspection, Lara discovered that the twinkling object which had captured her attention was a raised half-crescent obelisk, laced with diamonds.
Smiling, Lara glanced upwards; to the tops of the large stone columns framing the locked doors. She'd encountered these type of puzzles before -she had to press two raised stone designs on either side of the temple, before making her way back to the ground again and pushing the beautiful half-crescent in place; thus opening the closed doors and solving the puzzle.

Wasting no time, Lara leaped energetically at the left column; squeezing her thighs tightly against the ridged rock for support. After a few well-timed jumps to the top of the column, she faced backwards to behold a thin stone ledge; underneath the first part of the puzzle. Lara jumped to grab the ledge, hauling her tired body up onto it before pushing the first switch into the wall roughly; creating a loud 'clunk' sound.
Cursing the blazing sun above her, Lara leaped to an adjacent ledge. She felt so open to the sun's wrath up here, as her sun-burnt skin confessed. Looking at the raised stone switch in front of her, Lara pushed at it, before back-flipping off the ledge to grab a crack in the column lower down.

Letting go, Lara dropped down onto the burning salt, racing towards the sparkling semi-lunar obelisk jutting out the doors. Throwing her weight against it wearily, Lara relaxed as she heard the satisfying 'clunk' sound again from deep inside the temple; before stepping back and watching the great stone slabs which acted as doors swing outwards ominously.
Lara slowly walked into the temple's cool interior, thankful for it's soothing effect on her burnt skin. The room before her was dark and small, and a large door was five paces in front of her ; inscribed with symbols.

Looking to the left, Lara walked towards the wall; interested by small etchings in a foreign language. Placing her hand upon the cut rock, she traced her fingers over the letters; speaking aloud the warning which was described there:

"Go back stranger, swift and fast
Or your breath could be your last
If you're brave and stout of heart
Search four of fire, not of art".

A loud voice boomed from her headset, startling Lara momentarily.
"What's up Lara?" questioned Zip inquisitively.
Stepping back, away from the wall and into the centre of the room again, Lara replied, " A cryptic message Zip, or riddle, as you might call it. It mentions fire and art, and doesn't really seem to make much sense at first glance; as riddles inevitably do, it's custom" she smiled. Pausing for a moment, she added " I think it has something to do with those symbols over there".