I'm an Agent of Chaos and I'm Sending a Message

"You've Prolonged This Long Enough"

The next morning I awoke to find the Joker sleeping peacefully next to me. Despite the events that had transpired last night, I had to smile and giggle at the image before me. Slowly climbing out of bed, I found his video camera and started record him sleeping. It was when he spoke I nearly died of laughter. "You know I'm still awake, don't you beautiful?" he mumbled as he looked at me through his dark makeup. I waved at him. "Come on sleepy head, wake up" I said, acting childishly just to make him smile. It worked because he chuckled and sat up. "Beautiful, why are you recording this?" he asked as I noticed he had taken his vest at some point in the night. "I have no idea, I guess I was just bored" I said as I turned the camera to myself and smiled before turning it off. The Joker just raised an eyebrow before he got up. The good nature of the atmosphere fell apart as I watched his gaze scan over the cuts and bruises on my body. "Beautiful…" he said before walking towards me. His expression was of worry and relief. His eyes, though, showed sorrow. I placed a hand on his cheek and smiled at him. "I'm ok now Joker. I'm ok, thanks to you and your gang" I said.

The Joker averted his gaze to the floor and I can say this, it was really weird to see the Joker acting like a shy child. He wouldn't look at me, he hardly spoke, but his posture, showed everything. When he finally spoke, determination was in his voice and his eyes. "No one will hurt you beautiful" he said. I gasped slightly because for once, the Joker had a kind streak going. "Did you mean everything you said last night?" I asked softly. His eyes widened and he stormed out of the room. I stood in my spot, even as the door opened. "Happy" I said softly. "How did you know?" he asked. "You're usually the first to come console me after things like this" I said as I walked over to the window. Outside I saw the Joker pacing furiously on the pavement. Only once did he look up at me and then his pacing got worse. I sighed and ran a hand through my hair. "Why is he like this? He's been weird ever since I returned" I said. Happy came over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder. "Kei, think about it this way. Boss, he's been worried since he let you go. The rampage started because he thought he would be able to conceal whatever it was that he felt, except it backfired. Everyday, whatever he was feeling for you grew and grew. He couldn't cope with it and let it out the only way he knew, by destroying things" Happy explained.

I wiped my eyes and continued to watch the Joker outside. "But how did the mob get involved?" I asked, never once removing my eyes from the Joker. "They witnessed the destruction the Joker caused, even agreeing that this wasn't 'normal' for the Joker and when they did their research, they remembered you. Figuring you had something to do with this, they went after you, hoping to control the Joker. Which led up to the Joker throwing you off the bridge. He wanted them to think you dead, that way you'd be safe. Now, obviously, they know you're alive" he said. "What does he feel for me?" I asked Happy. Happy sighed and stood next to me, watching his boss throw things around. "I don't know what he feels Kei, but obviously it's something big and it scares him. He's not used to feeling anything for anyone really, this is new" he said. "He told me he loved me before he threw me off the bridge" I said. Happy looked at me, incredulous at what I said. "But how do I know that it's true?" I asked. Happy shrugged and I could see him smile beneath the mask. "Last night, boss saw the van being followed. He didn't hesitate to come with Grumpy and I after you. Its safe to say he was pissed, royally pissed off. He went berserk trying to get you back" Happy said.

I turned to him. "Really?" I asked, not believing it. "Kei, his worry matched his rage. You could see both those emotions in his eyes, and when he found you, the scene before him sent him over the edge, but your safety became first priority. Even now, you can see he is angry with himself for allowing this to happen" Happy said. At this point, I was crying again. Dopey, who had snuck in, hugged me before turning me around and playfully shoving me to the door, where Chuckles and Grumpy stood. "Go talk to him. He'll listen to you…oddly enough" said Grumpy. I wiped my tears and rushed outside. Once out there, I saw the Joker hunched over, out of breath. Gently, I placed my hand on his shoulder and I felt him tense up. "Thank you…for coming to get me" I said. The Joker tensed up more. "Beautiful, you're mine. Remember that" he said, almost sounding like those words hurt him to say.

I stood there, stunned but not really caring. "You, you don't care about me, do you?" I asked. The Joker threw his head back and laughed. "Beautiful, you know how to make me laugh" he said, rounding at me with the knife. "Let me let you in on a little secret beautiful, I don't care about anyone" he muttered darkly, licking his lips. The look in his eyes scared me and I saw the Joker laugh. "Beautiful, are you scared? Is it the scars?" he asked. I knew where this was going and I tried to get out of it. "No, no beautiful. You've prolonged this long enough" he said, the wiry voice I had grown to love now scaring me. He raised the knife and then halfway up, he stopped. His dark gaze met mine and his world seemed to break there. A roar filled the air as I was thrown into the wall. "Why did you do this?!" he yelled at me. I couldn't answer so he came and stood over me. "Leave. Just leave now and never come back beautiful. Go live a normal life, a life without me in it" he said, growing depressed near the end of it. I didn't want to leave but he forced me to. Once far enough, I turned around and looked at him. "I know that this emotion is hard to deal with, but please, try. I…I love you and I want to stay with you, beside you" I said honestly.

The weather took this as a perfect time to rain and I saw the Joker pick his head up and look at me. "Whenever you feel like you can trust me, and yourself not to hurt me, come find me. I'll be at my apartment, I trust you know where it is" I said before leaving.

*The Joker's POV*

There she goes again, walking away from me. Her words, they made me stay rooted to my spot, though my heart was screaming at me to go after her. I took off after her and the wounds I had sustained from two days ago, opened up again but I didn’t care. All I wanted was her. Not soon after, I was standing in the doorway of her apartment in my normal posture. Her eyes not believing but she soon came to believe from the feeling of our lips coming together. Whatever was left of my makeup, ran onto her face. Once we pulled away, I saw her smile and I felt myself smile to match hers. "So, this is what you look like without the makeup" she said, touching my newly uncovered scars. I soon grew self conscious. "Don't worry. I find you handsome, with or without the makeup and with or without the scars" she said, before kissing both the scars. "You make me feel alive and I love you" I murmured to her, causing her to kiss me again.
♠ ♠ ♠
song of the chapter is 'Breathe' by Angels and Airwaves