Learning to Fall

Looking Through A Mirror

I tried to fight him off but he grabbed me and pinned my arms behind my back making me yell out in pain. I heard a car roar out of the parking lot and out into the street. Jeff pushed me onto the ground out of the way of the car. I looked up to see Nonnie was in my car and had pushed the passenger side door open.

“Get in!” She yelled.

I got up feeling bruised and tried to hurry to the car but I was grabbed from behind. Vampires have that ability to be super fast. I heard Nonnie scream as glass shattered.

“Nonnie!” I yelled as I saw a vampire pull her out of my driver side window.

“Let me go!” She screamed trying to fight off her attackers.

“Let her go! It’s me you want.” I said as Jeff spun me around to face him.

“Alex!” I could hear Nonnie struggle.

“Oh, I want you but your friend can be an added snack for later. I’m surprised you would be out here at night after knowing that we exist.” Jeff snickered as Nonnie tried to scream for help but there was no one around.

I hoped that if he bites me that it is quick. I just wanted to die. I did not want to end up like Jeff and if he tried to turn me, I was not going down without a fight. With five vampires and just two humans, it didn’t look good.

“I’m so sorry Nonnie.” I said.

“You should be.” Jeff replied in my ear. Then he moved down to my neck and started to kiss it.

“Enough!” I heard a female voice say out of the group.

“But boss, you said I could have her. I told you where we could find her. I want Alex. We were meant to be together.” I saw Jeff say as he appeared frightened.

“Oh you will have her when I am done with her.” The female vampire said approaching me. I watched as she took her hood off. I gasped as the vampire looked almost like me. Then it dawned on me that she is the same girl that has been haunting my dreams. It was sort of like looking through a mirror only there were slight differences.

“Who are you?” I asked suddenly not afraid. There had to be some sort of connection between us for her to invade my dreams and then I suddenly remembered the day I was with Martin in the park and one of the vampires called me boss. Now I know why.

“I’m someone who doesn’t like dreaming of someone who looks like me.” The female vampire snarled.

“Boss you two could pass for sisters.” One vampire said.

“That’s funny I don’t remember having a sister in my human life.” The female vampire laughed. “Did you have a sister?” She asked.

“No. I was an only child.” I said still in shock even though I knew I should try to fight my way to safety.

“What do you want with me?” I asked.

“I want to know why you are in my dreams. I find it interesting yet annoying at the same time. Before I let your Jeff here make you one of us, I have to have answers so use what’s left of your time wisely.” She laughed.

“Did you kill Jeff?” I asked.

“Alex what is going on?” Nonnie asked confused and scared.

“You are being held by vampires. That is what is going on!” The vampire holding Nonnie hissed as he flashed his fangs. Nonnie screamed and I could see the look of panic in her eyes.

“I did kill him only because I dreamed your memories and couldn’t get him out of my head. It made sense to find him and kill him so that he could lead me to you.” The leader replied with a wicked grin.

“I don’t know why you have my memories. Why do I dream of yours? You loved someone once. I could see it yet you gave up and became a monster.” I replied feeling angry.

“My, my, I would watch that tongue of yours. I guess we are even. Vampire takes my love away and turns me into one and then I take your love away that is going to make you a vampire. Maybe now once you are among the undead you will be out of my head.” The vampire shook her head laughing with her fangs showing.

“Bored now.” She added starting to walk away.

“What? No!” I screamed trying to break loose and Jeff leaned in to bite me.

I heard a screeching sound and looked to see a van stop in the middle of the road. Jeff held me tighter and moved away from my neck to see what the commotion was about. I saw four figures rush out of the van and I knew Martin had found me.

“Sara?” Martin replied in shock. He knew her?

“Get them!” Sara yelled as Jeff pushed me hard into my car. I tried to break my fall but I hit my head on the door then everything went black.