Learning to Fall

Shattered Reflection

“I’m…I’m sorry. I didn’t mean for it to fall. I fell into the dresser which knocked the picture off.” I said still in shock over what I had done. I knew it was an accident but there was no excuse. I got up too fast thinking I could stop Martin from leaving knowing that I still had a slight head injury, which resulted in me stumbling hard into his dresser. I saw the picture frame start to fall but it was too late for me to catch it. When the glass shattered I had cut my fingers some.

“Alexandra, step away from the glass.” Paul replied looking worried. When I didn’t reply or move he picked me up in his arms and carried me to the bathroom and sat me down on top of the toilet seat.

“The glass...?” I got out thinking that I had not even been able to see the picture I had damaged.

“We will worry about the glass after I clean up your wounds.” Paul said getting out some peroxide, Neosporin, and bandages.

“Martin is going to be mad at me. Heck he already is I think.” I said.

Paul had me run my fingers on both hands through cold water to help numb the pain. Then he replied, “This is going to sting a little.” Paul then poured the peroxide over the cuts to boil out any germs that may have gotten into the skin.

“For these little cuts you received, they sure did bleed a lot. It’s not too serious.” He laughed. “I’m glad Martin wasn’t here though to smell the wound.” Paul replied as he finished fixing me up.

“You want to tell me why Martin stormed out of here? I’m not going to be upset or judge you Alex. I just want to know what is going on.” Paul said concerned.

“I’m sorry. I don’t even know where to begin to tell you.” I sighed looking at my few bandaged fingers. “Thanks.” I smiled. “I did bleed a lot for some small cuts.” I laughed changing the subject.

“Just remember that you owe me now.” Paul joked.

“Oh, is that so?” I replied smiling.

“I seem to remember a girl I took home tonight whose name starts with an N and ends with an e. Sound familiar?” Paul asked.

“Nonnie? Nonnie!” I said getting up.

“Hey, calm down. She is ok. Just a little shaken up but Nonnie is fine. I took her home and Martin made her forget about tonight.” Paul explained.

“Ok, so if she is fine, how do I owe you?” I asked suddenly intrigued.

"Well you see, once in the car Nonnie was starting to figure out things, she became kind of cool with the whole vampire thing and I sort of let is slip that she was beautiful, cause I was thinking it in my head…” Paul didn’t get to finish.

“Wait, you were supposed to be taking my best friend home and you started hitting on her?” I replied making it sound as if I was upset when I was really only messing with Paul.

“No, I mean yes, no!” Paul answered. “It wasn’t like that. She is beautiful but it slipped. Ah crap. I have dug myself a hole haven’t I?” Paul replied.

“Yes you have.” I smiled.

“Well anyway we got to talking and found out we have many things in common. She even told me she liked my lip ring.” Paul said grinning to himself.

“Oh, that’s ok. Nonnie is attracted to almost anyone with one of those. Nothing personal.” I replied trying not to laugh.

“Way to burst my ego. Anyway Bryan followed me in your car because we had to take Nonnie’s car home with her so he got impatient as Nonnie and I sat and talked in her driveway so he honked his horn. I walked Nonnie to her front door a little upset that Martin told Nonnie that she would forget everything after I snapped my fingers. So Nonnie said something like how she is with a cute guy and won’t remember it so she kissed me.” Paul grinned. “And it was a good kiss too.”

“No way! Nonnie wouldn’t do that!” I said.

“She did. Bryan saw it.” Paul proudly said.

“So let me guess, you liked the kiss but since Nonnie wouldn’t remember you kissing her you want my help in hooking you two up.” I said.

“Yes but get it right. She kissed me first so I know she had to have been feeling something. Your job is to help her find that spark with me again.” Paul grinned.

“I don’t know.” I said realizing I had enough on my plate to worry about.

“Please?” You know I wouldn’t hurt her and I would only protect her.” Paul said as we left the bathroom and headed back towards Martin’s bedroom.

“I’ll think about it.” I said as Paul left to find a broom to sweep up all the glass.

This time I carefully bent down and took a hold of the picture out of the broken frame it used to sit in. Once again it was like a mirror reflection. In the picture was a happy, smiling Martin with his fiancée Sara.

“Hey after we clean up the glass…” Paul said coming down the hallway with a broom and dustpan.

“Paul, tell me about Sara. I want to know everything.” I said.

“Well, I don’t know.” Paul said taking the picture out of my hands. “I think Martin should be the one to tell you about her.”

“Well, Martin isn’t here and I want to know. I want to know how they met, how she died (even though I already knew that answer, I wanted to hear it from Paul), and if he will run back to her.” I said staring at a confused Paul.