Learning to Fall

Date Night

Night fell and I was debating on whether I wanted to call it a night and hit the bed early, or sit near the fireplace and read a good book. I wanted to take my mind off the offer my boss had given me. Part of me wanted to leave this city and start fresh but part of wanted to stay. I felt like I was being held back by my feelings for Martin. I didn't know what to do or how to tell him or even if I should tell Martin that I might be leaving for Paris, France.

I decided on reading a book tonight and pushed those thoughts away. I started to head into the study which used to be my dad's home office but I didn't get to make it there. There was a knock on the front door. I looked out the window to see Martin was standing outside.

"Something wrong?" I asked opening the door slowly and wondering what brought him to my house tonight. I wasn't complaining but after our conversation last night and the way things were heating up, I think we both needed a breather to decided how we were going to take things.

"Am I not allowed to come visit you now?" Martin acted hurt.

"No, no. I just thought...nevermind." I said motioning for him to come in. "What's behind your back?" I asked laughing as I could tell Martin was trying to keep something from me.

"These are for you." Martin smiled handing me a bouquet of red and white carnations.

"Martin, they are beautiful!" I said grabbing the bouquet and smelling them. "I need to put these in water fast." I said taking off into the kitchen.

"So what are your plans for tonight?" Martin asked.

"I was planning on reading a book tonight, why?" I asked. "Wait, are you asking me out on a date?" I smiled.

"Maybe. I saw that there were a few movies out at the cinemas and I haven't been out in...well lets just say a long time. I wanted to know if you might be interested in going to see a movie with me. You can call it a date. Our first official if you want." Martin grinned.

"I...I don't know. Is it safe? I mean there are two vampires out there wanting my blood. I thought you warned me not to go out at night." I pressed.

"That was alone without me or one of the other guys. Trust me, I can protect you." Martin replied as he quickly was standing behind me now with his arms resting on my shoulders.

"Then I accept." I said. "On one condition." I grinned.

"What's that?" He answered.

"You pay for my popcorn and coke too." We both laughed.

The movie was great and afterwards Martin drove me home. He walked me to the porch where we talked with the porch light our only light. "Thank you." I said as we sat on the porch swing I had installed a year ago.

"No, thank you for making me feel alive again." Martin said making my heart skip a beat. We both leaned in and kissed each other until we started to make out. Those words of my boss were still in the back of my mind and I knew I had to tell Martin I might leave for Paris before things got really serious.

"Martin." I said breathlessly pulling away from him.

"What is it?" He asked.

"I need to tell you something important." I replied.

"Ok. Is it bad news about something? Jeff hasn't came by or haunted your dreams without you telling me has he cause I..." Martin trailed.

"No, no! Nothing like that its just that today I went into work and..." I got cut off as Martin said, "Excuse me for a second."

"Hello Paul. What do you want. I am kind of busy right now." Martin replied as he answered his cell phone.

"I see. Well I will be there in twenty minutes." Martin said.

"Everything alright?' I asked worried that something might have happened to one of his friends.

"No, everything is cool but I have to get back to our place. Work calls. I'm sorry I have to leave." Martin said.

"It's perfectly fine." I smiled wishing he didn't have to leave.

"What is it you wanted to tell me?" Martin asked as he got up off the swing.

"It was nothing. Nothing at all." I said as I opened my front door.

"Night, Alexandra." Martin replied as he kissed me one last time and I watched him take off into the night.

Now what was I going to do? That kiss and tonight was wonderful. I can't tell him. I won't. I think I am meant to stay here. Paris can wait. I think my heart belongs here. Besides I don't want to hurt Martin.