What Happens Under The Sun

Chapter Seventy-seven

Tom scooped me up into his arms and threw me over his shoulder.

''What are you doing?'' I laughed.

''Carrying you.'' He replied simply but I could hear the smirk in his voice.

He closed the door and started to walk. I watched from behind as we left the living room and I was quick to assume we were going to the bedroom. Oh how right I was.

''Why are you carrying me like this?'' I asked as he closed his bedroom door.

''Because,'' he paused to drop me on the bed. ''Otherwise you might have escaped.''

''Yea, cause I'm just running for my life here.'' I said playfully, propping myself up on my elbows.

''And it makes me feel like a caveman.'' He added with a wink and I burst out laughing.

''You're such a dork!'' I laughed.

''Don't tell anyone.'' He said with a smirk. He leaned down and kissed my gently.

''My lips are sealed.'' I murmured against his lips.

''Oh!'' he said, suddenly standing straight up. I furrowed my eyebrows.

''Bill and the guys will probably be wondering where I am.'' He said.

''They'll think you went home with some girl, no big deal.'' I told him.

''But I don't want Bill to freak out and come in here looking for me, he's such a mother sometimes.'' Tom said. ''I'll just be a minute.'' And then he left the bedroom, closing the door behind him.

What to do now? He had left me alone in his room in a soaking wet dress. I decided I was going to change.

I got up and unzipped the back of my dress. I peeled off the wet fabric and shivered slightly. Because of the style of the dress, I hadn't worn a bra. So now I was in Tom's room, in my underwear, alone. That had to be some kind of world record.

I went to his closet in search of something to wear, he had to have something. As much as I would have loved to stay naked, I was far too cold.

I put on one of his black t-shirts and it came down to the middle of my thighs. I hung my dress over a chair and climbed back onto the bed. I sat by the headboard with my legs crossed and nothing but his t-shirt on.

I felt so comfortable in just his shirt, and it had very little to do with the fact that the thing was like a muumuu on me.

I felt comfortable, I felt relaxed, I felt like I could be myself. I knew that not all of that came just from wearing his shirt, but from being with Tom himself. That was how he made me feel.

''I left him a-whoa.'' Tom said, stopping mid-step as he walked into the room.

''I changed.'' I said with a smile. He crossed the room and sat beside me on the bed.

''You look beautiful.'' He said softly, brushing my cheek with one hand. I felt the colour change in my cheeks as I blushed and he smiled. I didn't think he'd ever made me blush before. He gently pressed his lips to mine and then stood up.

''Where are you going?'' I asked.

''I'll be right back.'' He assured me.

Tom disappeared into the bathroom attached to his bedroom. A few minutes later he came out with much less clothing on. He was wearing some track pants that sat low on his hips and I bit my lip slightly as I looked over him. He smirked as he came back to the bed and laid beside me.

I cuddled right against him, draping my right leg over his waist, and he wrapped his arms around me.

''Tom?'' I said quietly.

''Hm?'' he replied, lightly brushing his fingers up and down my thigh.

''I'm sorry.'' I said, looking down at his torso as I spoke.

''Sorry for what?'' he asked.

''Sorry that I didn't admit how I felt sooner, sorry that I forced us to deny our feelings, sorry that I pushed you away because I was afraid to let you get too close. Take your pick.'' I said and to my surprise, he laughed lightly.

''That's the crazy part about the whole 'being in love' thing,'' he said, turning my face towards his by my chin. ''You can forgive the person you're in love with no matter what.''

He kissed me softly as he twirled a strand of my hair idly between his fingers. I pulled away with a sigh.

''I love you.'' I said. We said it a lot, but it was like we were trying to make up for all the times we'd kept silent about it, all the times we'd denied it.

''I love you too.'' He replied. ''And I'm glad you're here to stay this time.'' I smiled.

''I'm glad I'm here too.''

''I'm glad you finally got the balls to admit how you feel, even if you did sort of scream it at me.'' Tom said with a smirk.

''It's not my fault I caught you scamming on some skank!'' I retorted.

''Well it's not my fault you didn't call dibs on me sooner.'' He said, a smirk still in place on his lips.

''And it's not my fault you have your head so far up your ass that you couldn't see how crazy I was for you.'' I said playfully.

''I'll give you crazy for you!'' he said and started to tickle me.

''Stop!'' I laughed wildly.

''What's that? I can't hear you over all of this laughter.'' Tom said as I tried to push his hands away.

I gave up on trying to push him away and instead, pulled his lips to mine. The second my tongue broke his lips, the tickling ceased and he was all business. He kissed me deeply, meaningfully, like he'd never done it before and this was his last chance.

A few minutes later and he pulled away. Both of us were a little out of breath as we resumed our previous position with one of my legs draped over Tom's body.

The feeling of Tom tracing shapes on my leg was soothing. It was quite late and I could feel my eyelids getting heavy.

''Kate?'' he said suddenly.

''Yea?'' I replied.

''Would you mind if I kept you?'' he asked. I cracked a bit of the smile at the phrase, but my heart beat a little faster at its meaning.

''Tom, I've always been yours.''