Status: FINALLY FINISHED!

Do Mine Eyes Deceive Me...A Gorgeous Sadistic Vampire?

Twenty-Two: The Day Before

Image

The party was tomorrow. I would see and quite possible kick Harrison's ass tomorrow, if I was getting as good as Devlin told me I was.

We'd just finished our final training session. After the first day when I'd managed to clock him in the jaw with my foot, he realized what it took to get me going: Anger. He'd been patronizing and mocking me for the past three days, and I knew it was all in good nature, but it stung enough to fire me up.

I flounced into the kitchen, hoping from one foot to another, testing my balance and agility. My energy had still been growing. I knew I wasn't actually stronger or faster, but this energy added durability and stability that allowed me to pushy myself harder than humanly possible.

"We have to get you accessorized for tomorrow," Devlin said, placing his hands on my waist to settle me.

"I have to wear another billion-dollar dress that I can barely breathe in?" I asked, pouting but shuffling closer to him nonetheless.

Oddly, the two of us had been acting all coupley since the kiss. It hadn't gone as far as it had the first time, but flirty touching and illicit kissing had still been going on . . . and I wasn't about to complain. Devlin may not be my Harrison, but at least he wanted me.

"Actually, they made a dress for you already that should fit perfectly because they had your measurements from last time. They just have to do you hair and makeup and shit," he said eloquently.

"Oh," I laughed. "What does it look like?"

"It's red . . . that's all I'm telling you. I want it to be a surprise for you. I was a little bit disappointed though. This dress and the last one could've been more flattering," he frowned, looking into my confused eyes, and easily reading me like a book, even without the mind-reading.

"Why is that?" I cocked my head, unsure of whether to be complimented or not.

"They don't show enough of you off," he actually giggled. His hands came up to my shoulders and I rolled my eyes. "No, really - I tried to supervise a bit on this dress. It had to show off your divine collarbone structure, your tiny waist, your deviating bust, and your elegant shoulders. I would've been ecstatic with some navel display, too, but you're not supposed to look like a slut."

I snorted. "I think you might be a little biased. Especially if you think my waist is tiny. Are you kidding me? My hips are like kickstands if I ever fall over!"

"No. Stop it. I'll show you what I mean," he commanded in a no-nonsense tone. He placed two fingers on each of my hips. "If you calculate the proportion and distance from your hips, up to your waist," his hands moved again. "You'll realize that it all evens out perfectly for you."

I looked down and shrugged. "You're right," he said. "Less talking."

I rolled my eyes again but stepped in closer as he wrapped his arms tighter around my waist. I'd closed my eyes to peck him on the lips, but I felt a lock of hair graze my lips and felt pressure against a weak spot in my collarbone and I gasped in shock.

I'd certainly never experienced anything like that before! I daintily placed my hands against his irresistible chest and pushed him away unwillingly. I needed to talk with Harrison before things went any farther with Devlin and I.

A devilish grin broke out on his face despite having just been rejected. He shrugged and then carried me somewhere else in the house. I was worried it might be a bedroom, until I saw a gorgeous woman behind a leather chair.

She had glittering silver hair and red lips. I couldn't look away from her crimson eyes either. Damn immortals and their freaky eye color.

"Joan, meet Lanette," Devlin introduced. "She'll be doing your hair and makeup tomorrow."

I waved tentatively. Then, the woman left. Okay, that was strange.

Devlin laughed at my confusion. He always found amusement in my newb-ness to his world.

Then, I noticed that there was more in the room than just a leather chair and sink for washing hair. There was a small stage with a microphone.

"You can sing," Devlin stated. It wasn't a question.

"No, I really can't." I stuttered, horrified.

"I can make you sing," he smiled innocently, but I knew it was a lost cause. He was going to make me sing for him! I really didn't like to embarrass myself in front of devilishly hansom immortals, but oh well. There's a first for everything.

"Think of a song," he told me, helping me up on the mini-stage. Before I could even answer him, he'd stuck something in this big black machine connected to a stereo and I knew what I was going to sing for him.

Time on my hands since you've been away boy
I ain't got no plans
no, no, no, no.
And the sound of the rain, against my window pane
Is slowly, slowly driving me insane.

Boy, I'm going down
I'm going down
'Cause you ain't around, baby.
My whole world's upside down


A tear formed at the corner of my eye and I almost laughed at the irony. Devlin had a sad, knowing look on his face, and I knew. He understood.

Sleep don't come easy.
Boy, please believe me.
Since you've been gone, everything's going wrong.
Why'd you have to say goodbye?
Look what you've done to me
I can't stop these tears from falling from my eyes.

Oh Baby,
I'm going down.
I'm going down
'Cause you ain't around, baby.
My whole world's upside down.

You ain't around. Going down.
Ooh, Baby. I'm in love.
Going down. Oh, Oh, Oh,

I-I- I'm going down.
I'm going down.
'Cause you ain't around, baby.
My whole worlds upside down


I didn't want Devlin. Oh, God - I thought I had. I loved him, and enjoyed kissing him. But being in love with someone was so much more than that . . . not that I would ever know. The man I'd truly cared about that way had killed my family.

Going down, going down
Oh, babe.
Don't want believe.
If i cant give my love to you
I'm so blue.
Going down.
Going down
You ain't around.
Baby, baby.
Sorry, sorry, sorry, sorry.
What did I do wrong?
Please forgive me, baby, and come on home.
Going down.
Going down.
Going down.
♠ ♠ ♠
240 readers and 9 stars! *faint* I'm unworthy! I feel so terrible. I didn't update over break like I said I would! I'm sorry. I've got another paper due for my science lab report and I have to soon start on my notoriously long Young Author's book.

Anyway, I know I'm a horrible person for leaving it at this right before the big party! But if I get the chance, 23 will be out this weekend. I love you all. I hope you'll comment! It's always encouraging *wink wink*

♥MK

©Copyrighted