‹ Prequel: A New Playing Field
Sequel: Crawling Back To You

Lucky I'm In Love With My Best Friend

Priority

Image

Nick’s POV

“You guys have to be at TRL at 9:30 and you’ll be there until 1 am ish,” Dad informed Kevin, Joe, and me. It was New Year’s Eve and we were all excited. Times Square is the best place to be on New Year’s. Hands down.

This New York&New Jersey trip has been going very well. Yesterday, my brothers and I went to Megan’s hometown. We met Kelly and Lizzy, Megan’s closest friends after Tara, along with a bunch of other girls and guys. We saw the house Megan grew up in, the schools she went to, and the spots around town where she hung out.

Her town is really nice and her friends are awesome. They treated us like Nick, Kevin, and Joe, normal guys, not like the Jonas Brothers, the Disney hit sensation. Kevin, Joe, and I always appreciate it when people look passed our last name.

I was completely and utterly ready to spend New Year’s with Megan. Everyone always talks about who they are going to kiss when the countdown hits zero and the New Year begins. Well, I’ve never had one of those moments before. This year, I will, and I can’t imagine sharing the moment with anyone else.

When we were released from our meeting to hang out at the hotel, I called Megan to figure out her plans—when she was coming into the city, how she was getting here, stuff like that.

“Hey you,” Megan answered.

“Hey Megs, how are you doing?”

“Fantastic! I love it here, Nick! Thank you again for bringing me back.”

“You’re welcome again, babe. What are you up to now?”

“Tara and I are in the kitchen making a snack.”

“You’re not baking, are you?”

“Shut up! I’m a good cook!”

“Most of the time. Do I have to bring up the cookie incident?”

“No, you don’t. And that was just one time.”

Megan laughed at herself. I knew she was replaying what happened in her head. I laughed with her. Well, more like at her. She burnt those cookies to a crisp. Not only were they burnt, but they were flat. Megan only put 1/4 cup of flour in, not 2 1/4 flour in. So the cookies didn't rise. If Megan didn't tell me they were cookies, I wouldn't have known.

“So how are you, stud?” she asked.

“Pretty good. We just got back to the hotel so now we’re just relaxing. It feels great.”

“Isn’t relaxing the best?”

“Of course. I would rather you be here relaxing with me though. I miss you.”

“When was the last time I told you that you are the cutest boy in the world?”

“I can’t remember.”

“Well you are, and I miss you too.”

“So what are your plans as of now? When are you coming?”

“Coming where?” Megan questioned.

“The city.”

There was pure silence on the other end of the phone. I pulled the phone away from my ear to see if the line was still connected. Maybe I lost her? As I noticed the time count increasing, I realized Megan was still there.

“Meg, are you there?”

“Yeah I’m here. But…why would I come into the city?”

“Why? Because I’m performing here tonight.”

“I know that.”

“I have to be here. I can’t leave.”

“I know that too. But I didn’t know that I was expected to come,” Megan said quietly.

“Megan, I flew you out here with us, yeah, so you could see your friends, but also so we could spend New Year’s Eve together.”

“I’m sorry, Nick.”

“That’s okay. It was a misunderstanding. So when are you coming?”

“I’m not coming, Nick. I can’t.”

“What do you mean you can’t?” I responded sternly.

Her words shocked me. Those were the last words I expected to hear. In my head, Megan was thrilled to spend New Year’s with me. Aren’t you supposed to be excited to spend nights like these with the one you love? I was getting upset. I was letting my emotions be known to Megan through the tone of my voice.

“Kelly is throwing a party at her house because I am here. I have to go. I can’t NOT go to a party being thrown for me.”

“So you are not going to spend New Year’s Eve with me, your boyfriend.”

“I’m sorry.”

“Megan, I want you in the city tonight. You should really come to the city tonight and spend this with me.”

“I think you’re being a little selfish,” Megan spat with some attitude.

“And you’re not being selfish?” I spat back, with even more attitude.

“Alright, so we’re both selfish and we’re both stubborn. Look Nick, I’m sorry, but I didn’t know you wanted me to meet you in the city. You should have said something.”

“I didn’t think I had to tell you. I figured you would want to, but clearly my assumption that you’d want to spend New Year’s Eve with your boyfriend was ridiculous.”

“I want to be with you, Nick. But there’s only so much time I can spend with these people. I haven’t seen them in six months and I only have so much time with them. I get to be with you every day.”

“Yeah, you see me every day. I guess I’m not really that important.”

“Nick, stop.”

“No it’s okay. You’re right, I’m not important. I’m just the boy you’re in love with.”

“Please, Nick.”

“You know, you’re really showing priority right now.”

“That’s not true.”

“It’s not? Could have fooled me, then.”

“What do you want me to do, Nick?”

“I want you to come to the city and spend New Year’s with me.”

“Well I can’t do that. What else do you want me to do?”

“Nothing. I only want that one thing and you’ve already made your decision quite clear.”

“Nick, you don’t understand.”

“If I’m supposed to understand why someone would not want to spend one of the top three most romantic nights of the year with the one they love, then you’re right. I don’t understand. I’m just never going to get it.”

I took a pause to see if Megan had any type of rebuttal to. Any type of response. Any change of heart or mind. After a few seconds, she hadn’t made a noise, so I continued.

“I’m not going to lie to you. I’m pretty pissed about this. So have a great night, Megan. Happy New Year.”

“Nick, wait,” I heard Megan say as I pulled my phone away from my ear.

I hung up before I heard anything else. I put my head against the headrest of the bed and shut my eyes. I heard a tapping coming from the door, so I opened one eye and looked up. Kevin was leaning against the door frame, one ankle crossed over the other, both arms crossed over his chest.

“Do you want to talk about it?” he asked.

“Megan decided to spend New Year’s with her friends, not me. I was looking forward to spending it with her. That’s half the reason I flew her out here with us.”

“And what was the other half?”

“To see her friends.”

“Nick, put yourself in her shoes for a second. Look at the place you put Megan in. Think about the decision she had to make. Spend New Year’s with her best friends who she hasn’t seen in months or spend New Year’s with the guy she is in love with.”

Kevin was right. Kevin is always right. But Megan made her choice very clear. Megan didn’t want to spend tonight with me. With the way she just acted on the phone, I wouldn’t be surprised if the thought didn’t even cross her mind. The dreams I had of ending 2008 and starting 2009 were shot down by Megan’s words. Being in a fight with Megan is the last thing I thought would happen on New Year’s Eve. Talk about starting off the year on a good note…

“So here's to the love, the love that we had.
Here's to the time, the good and the bad.
Here's to the ones you never forget.
Here's to the year that we had.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Song credit: "New Year Resolution" by Graham Colton :]

oh boy..what to do with these two.

Comment&Subscribe. :)

P.S. I just started another story called "You Just Don't Know It."
I'll still be updating this one. No worries! But you can go check that one out too if you want.

Thanks :) <3