‹ Prequel: A New Playing Field
Sequel: Crawling Back To You

Lucky I'm In Love With My Best Friend

(Un)Happy New Year

Image

Megan's POV

“Three…two…one…HAPPY NEW YEAR!”

Noisemakers were being blown, hugs were being passed around, screams were coming from the mouths of all my friends. I observed what was going on and plastered a smile on my face. I didn’t want my friends to think anything was wrong, even though everything was wrong.

Nick didn’t even want to talk to me. If Nick and I are not on good terms, I emotionally, physically, and mentally do not feel well. Tara was the only one who knew the happiness and excitement I was portraying was a lie. She was in the room when I had the conversation with Nick on the phone. She knows what happened.

I felt my phone vibrating. I secretly prayed in my head and in my heart that it would be Nick texting me, telling me that this was just one big misunderstanding. Telling me that everything was fine and this was no big deal. It only took me a few seconds to realize that idea that I had was a fantasy and far from reality.

1 Received Text Message: Joe Jonas
12:12 am- Happy 2009, Megan! How are you doing?
1 Sent Text Message: Joe Jonas
12:14 am-You too, Joseph! How am I doing? Horrible. How are you doing?
1 Received Text Message: Joe Jonas
12:17 am- I’m pretty good. Just got off the phone with Pamela! But that doesn’t matter right now. Nick is miserable.
1 Sent Text Message: Joe Jonas
12:20 am- Nick hates me right now. Imagine how I feel. Is he still pissed?
1 Received Text Message: Joe Jonas
12:22 am- I’m not going to lie to you because I love you. Yes, he is very angry.
1 Sent Text Message: Joe Jonas
12:25 am- Well this sucks, for lack of a stronger word. I’m an asshole.
1 Received Text Message: Joe Jonas
12:27 am- You are definitely not an asshole, Megan. I never want to hear something like that come from you again, got that missy? I’m really sorry, but I gotta go. I’ll talk to him. Stay strong.
1 Sent Text Message:Joe Jonas
12:30 am- Making no promises, but I will try to. Thanks Joe.

I slipped my phone back into my pocket and went upstairs to Kelly’s room. I needed to get away from the party and just be by myself. I laid down in Kelly’s bed and stared at the ceiling. I could hear the loud music pumping through the house and the periodic bursts of laughter. I wish I could be happy, but I can’t. Not with Nick mad at me. I lost track of time and my eyes couldn’t take it anymore. I eventually drifted off to sleep.

The Next Day

“Hi Meggy!” Frankie said, engulfing me in a hug.

“Hey Tank,” I said quietly.

When I met up the Jonas’ in the terminal, Nick didn’t say anything. He didn’t even look at me. Not once did he connect with my eyes, which were constantly on him. I took a seat in the waiting area next to Frankie. Being in Nick’s presence and not speaking to him was literally breaking my heart inside my chest.

“Hey kid,” Kevin said, taking a seat next to me.

“Oh, hey Kev,” I said, looking up from my magazine.

“How are you doing?” he asked. I looked at Nick, who had his iPod in and was reading a book.

“Eh, I could be better,” I finally replied. Kevin looked over at Nick, and then back at me.

“He’s in the same boat, just do you know.”

“He won’t even look at me. This sucks.”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

“I just wish I could take it back. I should have met up with you guys. I was with my friends all weekend. I saw Nick like once.”

“I see your side of this. I do. You were in a rough position. But Nick could have said something about wanting you to come to the city. That is on him.”

“Yeah, but the decision is on me.”

“Things are going to be okay. They always are somehow with you two.” I nodded as Kev leaned in to give me a hug. “I’m going to go call Dina before we leave. We’re boarding in a few.” Kevin took out his phone and walked away.

“Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen. At this time, we are boarding all first class members on flight 1105 with direct service to Los Angeles.”

“Meggy, will you sit next to me?” Frankie asked as we walked down the jet way. I glanced over at Nick, who didn’t even look up. He wasn’t going to protest it. He didn’t want to sit next to me. I fought back the tears that were building in my eyes and sighed.

“Sure Frank.” Frankie cheered with excitement as I continued to break inside. Frankie and I took our seats in first class. Nick sat behind us with Kevin.

We were somewhere over the Midwest when Frankie got up to go to the bathroom. I stared at the window at the white clouds we were soaring over. I thought about the boy sitting behind me, the boy I love, who won’t even speak to me. I felt someone sit in the seat next to me. I assumed it was Frankie, so I continued to stare out the window, alone with my thoughts.

The person next to me hadn’t said anything. If it was Frankie, he would ask me to play some kind of game with him. I mustered up the courage to turn my head to my left. It wasn’t Frankie. It was Nick. He sat in the seat looking at his hands in his lap. Neither of us said anything. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know what to say.

“Say something,” Nick finally said.

“Oh. Um.” I paused. I was trying to formulate my thoughts into words.

“Um?”

“You caught me off guard. I didn’t really think you wanted me to talk to you.”

“I was pretty angry, Megan. I didn’t want to say anything I would regret. So I just took some space.”

“Nick, I’m really sorry. I don’t know if that’s enough, but I truly am. If it makes you feel any better, I had a horrible night.”

“How is that supposed to make me feel better?”

“Well, it’s not like I was out having a grand old time. I missed you. I made the wrong decision. I’m a jerk and I’m sorry.”

“Meg, you’re not a jerk. Don’t ever say that. I understand I put you in a complicated position.”

“I was miserable last night, Nick.”

“So was I.”

Our row fell silent again. His hands rested in his lap while my hands rested in mine. Thoughts were running crazy through my head. By the look on Nick’s face, I could tell his mind was not at rest either.

“Three times,” I finally said.

“What?”

“In the last week, we have fought three times.”

“What’s going on with us?” Nick questioned.

“I don’t know.”

“We can’t keep doing this to each other.”

“It’s not healthy," I agreed.

“Well, what should we do?” Nick asked.

“What is there to do?” I asked back.

“There are two options.”

“One of those two options I will not consider.”

“I was hoping you would say that, because I won’t consider it either. I don’t know where I’d be without you, Megan. Honestly. It sounds stupid, but whatever, it’s true.”

“I feel the same way. I need you, Nick.” Nick lifted his arm and slung it around my shoulders. I smiled and cuddled my body up to his.

“Hey Meg, no more fights, promise?"

“I promise. Do you promise?"

"Of course I promise."

"I love you, Nicholas.”

“I love you too, Megan.”

I shut my eyes. Feeling the warmth of Nick’s body and the comfort of Nick’s arms, I drifted to sleep for the rest of the ride to California.
♠ ♠ ♠
aww.

comments&subscribe!

happy 21 kevin jonas! :]