‹ Prequel: A New Playing Field
Sequel: Crawling Back To You

Lucky I'm In Love With My Best Friend

Game Time

Image

Nick’s POV

I sat down in my seat with Frankie to my left and Joe to my right. The rest of the row included Pamela, Dina, Kevin, Mom, Dad, and Big Rob. We all sported our Gibson #13 t-shirts proudly as we felt the excitement of the stadium. We were surrounded the friends and family of Megan’s teammates. I knew exactly who belonged to who because everyone had shirts on of who they were supporting.

I was excited to finally see Megan play live. For Megan to actually see me cheering and clapping for her while she played. The field was empty, except for the referees and the training staff. The announcer spoke into the microphone welcoming everyone to the Home Depot Center.

“When’s Meggy coming out?” Frankie asked me.

“I’m not sure, Frank. Probably in a minute or so.”

“Ladies and gentlemen, your United States women’s soccer team!” the announcer yelled into the microphone. The team came out of the tunnel in two lines. The entire stadium rose to their feet.

“I see Meggy, Nick! There she is!” Frankie yelled.

I smiled at his excitement before looking to the field. Megan was running next to Heather. When she reached the bench, she ran over to a bag and grabbed an orange pinny. As she stood up, she looked over at the section. Her face lit up with a smile and she waved. The entire Jonas contingent, in addition to the Gibson contingent, cheered like crazy. I blew Megan a kiss. She flashed me that smile that makes me melt, and ran back to her team for warm ups.

After warm-ups and after the English starting lineup, the announcer began introducing the U.S. starters. I recognized all the names being said. Megan had mentioned all these people to me, although I haven’t met most of them. Following the lineup, the national anthems of both countries were played.

“Ladies and gentlemen, please give a warm welcome to some special guests we have in the house tonight, the Jonas Brothers!” Joe, Kevin, and I looked at each other. We weren’t expecting this. The three of us stood up out of our seats and waved to the crowd as they cheered for us. I looked at Megan. Her hands were over her head, clapping along with the rest of the stadium.

The players took their respective positions. I rested my elbows on my knees and my hands under my chin. The ref blew the whistle, and the game started. I knew I would love watching Megan do what she loves for ninety minutes.

Megan’s POV

Post-game showers always feel the best. I let the warm water hit my body like a massage. We won 3-0. I was so happy that Nick and his family were there to watch. I even scored a goal and winked at Nick after scoring it. I got out of the shower and went to my closet to pick out some clothes. After throwing on a pair of dark jeans and a red v-neck, I ran downstairs.

“All clean,” I announced, as I entered the kitchen, finding Colin and Nick sitting at the island in the center of the kitchen.

“Thank God,” Colin joked. I lightly punched him in the arm before turning to Nick, wrapping my arms around his neck and placing a light kiss on his cheek. I turned towards the refrigerator. After soccer, I tend to eat, a lot, to regain energy.

“I should probably get ready,” Colin said.

“Oh Col! I forgot! Tonight is the big date with Valerie!”

“You forgot? Do I have to remind you that you have to pick us up from the movies?”

“Uh, not anymore. Nick, don’t forget that we have to go pick up Colin and his date at the movies later,” I repeated. Nick just laughed at me.

“Who is this girl, Colin? What’s the deal?” Nick asked.

“No deal yet. I just really like her. We flirt a lot in school, so I asked her on a date.”

“Atta boy,” Nick replied, giving Colin a high-five. I rolled my eyes at the typical guy behavior.

“What are you going to wear?” I questioned.

“You would ask me that. You’re such a girl,” Colin said.

“Yeah, that’s probably the thing I like the most about her,” Nick said, with a little chuckle. I laughed at him as Colin smiled, shook his head, and left the room.

“He really likes this girl. He talks about her a lot. Valerie said this and Valerie did that. I hope she’s legitimate.”

“What do you mean?”

“Colin’s been…used before. He dated this girl in Jersey. After a few months, he learned that she never actually liked him and she used him to get back at her ex-boyfriend, some kid that Colin never got along with. So her dating Colin made him angry, which was her plan.”

“Are you serious? That’s terrible.”

“Yeah. Ever since then, I just get nervous when he gets into a girl. I just have this gut feeling, you know? Something just doesn’t feel right about this Valerie. I just have this shady feeling. I don’t really know how to describe it. We’ll have to see I guess.” Nick didn’t say anything in return. He just sat there and watched me eat my dinner.

Colin came back downstairs twenty minutes later. He was wearing a nice pair of jeans and a white button down shirt with green stripes. The sleeves were rolled up to his elbows, Nick style. I could smell his cologne as soon as he stepped into the kitchen.

“Hey Col, do you need a new bottle of cologne?”

“No, why?”

“It smells like you used the whole thing.”

“Are you serious?” Colin asked concerned, lifting the shift off his chest to take a whiff.

“Chill back, Colin. I’m kidding.” Relief came over Colin’s face and body after I said that. I laughed to myself. “When are you being picked up?”

Colin took a glance at his phone before responding, “Any minute.” Colin walked to the counter. “So really, how do I look?”

“You’re lookin’ fly. You’re definitely a Gibson.” Colin smiled. Colin’s phone began to vibrate in his hand. He opened the new text message and smiled.

“She’s here. Gotta go,” Colin said, giving me a hug.

“Text me when we should leave.”

“I will,” Colin said, giving Nick one of those guy high-five hug things. Colin grabbed his wallet and a jacket and headed for the door.

“Have fun! Love you, little bro!” I yelled as Colin exited the kitchen.

“Love you too, big sis! Later, Nick!” he yelled back. I smiled at Nick and he smiled at me as I went back to my dinner.
♠ ♠ ♠
i'm going away until monday, so just wanted to give you one last chapter until then.

comment&subscribe.
thanks! xoxo.