Turn The Other Way

Merry Christmas!

The past couple months have been amazing, by far. I’ve been so happy, everyone I know has taken notice. Matt and I have talked every day for at least two or three hours when we can, and if not, he’s been calling me before shows, sometimes after. (That conversation ends when I tell him he needs to go to sleep.)

My wounds from surgery have heeled up nicely. Right now they are just deep pink scars that hurt if you poke them really hard. I’m still (yes) super excited that I am cancer and disease free. That, coupled with my much better relationship with Matt, has made my life complete heaven on Earth. There’s just one obstruction.

To my experience now, Christmas around here is hectic. I’ve spent the mornings over at Laura’s and Derek’s with them and Emma, and today, I’m going to take the red eye over to Huntington Beach to spend it with everyone else. This’ll be the first time I’ve seen him since we got back together. I need to talk to him. I don’t think long distance relationships are my thing.

“Thank you for the ride, Laura,” I said with a smile.

Laura laughed. “No problem. Good luck tonight, okay?” she said. I nodded and gathered a deep breath. Laura then hugged me tightly and I said goodbye to Emma.

“Bye sweetie,” I said, kissing her temple. “Auntie Lynn has to go to California, where it’s warmer.” I laughed as gave her tiny body a hug as she just babbled on. It still amazes me how her only words are versions of ‘ice cream,’ “Mommy, ‘ ‘Lynn,’ and ‘Kay.’

“Bye guys,” I said. “I’ll see you in a couple days.”

“Call me and tell me how everything goes,” Laura said.

"I will,” I said and hugged my carry on closer to me. I looked at them one last time and went into the portal that took me to the plane. This would probably be the longest flight ever.

I think I fell asleep on the plane, because the next thing I knew, the flight attendant was shaking me awake.

“Ma’am? We’re here,” she said with a smile.

I smiled back and stood up to stretch. “Thanks.”

I walked to the exit of the plane and into the airport to grab my things. Matt and Brian should be here somewhere.

“Lynn!” I heard a yell. I quickly turned around to see Jimmy running to me. I ‘oomphed’ as his body smashed against mine, causing us to fall to the ground.

“Jimmy!” I whined. I continued to lay there as he stood up ninja style.

“What’re you doing to Matt’s woman?” Zacky chastised. I tilted my head, seeing him upside down.

“Hi, Zacky,” I said with a laugh.

“Are you okay?” Matt asked in his own husky laugh. I looked behind Zacky, seeing the upside down version of Matt.

I smiled and nodded as he helped me up and kissed me roughly. I smirked into the kiss, wrapping my arms around his neck and his grasped onto my waist and spun me.

“Stop,” I laughed. “Nausea, remember?”

He abruptly stopped and laughed. “Merry Christmas, baby.”

“Merry Christmas,” I replied.

“Merry Christmas!” Jimmy yelled, hugging us both at the same time. Zacky joined in, too.

“Where’s Brian?” I asked.

“Suzy and Papa Gates made him stay and help.”

I laughed. “Oh.”

“I missed you, baby,” Matt said as he placed kisses along my lips.

“I missed you, baby,” Jimmy mocked, causing Zacky to go into a fit of laughter.

“Fuck off, dude,” Matt said, making me laugh.

“I need to talk to you about something later,” I remembered.

“Why not now?” Matt asked.

I shrugged. “Later,” I told him.

Matt sighed. “Okay,” he told me in a defeated tone.

“Let’s go!” I exclaimed, jumping out of his arms while I ran outside. I relished in the warmer Cali sun. The weather was perfect. It was like the weather of summer transitioning into fall back in Ohio. Like I said… it was perfect.

“You’re real excited,” Matt said once he caught up with me. His arm laced around my waist and we stood there like that for a moment. “Zacky and Jimmy have your bags,” he answered my unsaid question. I then nodded, closing my eyes. I was so happy to be back in California.

“I’m so happy to be home,” I said.

“I am too,” Matt replied.

“What the hell did you pack?!” Zacky exclaimed. I turned my head behind me to see Jimmy and Zacky literally pulling my bags along.

I rolled my eyes and picked one up. “It’s not that fucking heavy, you wuss.”

The rest of the day seemed to go in a blur after my things were dropped off at Matt’s. We had Christmas dinner at Dad and Suzy’s with everyone there, opened presents (even though I asked for nothing) and everyone but Matt, Dad, Suzy, McKenna and I passed out from drinking. So we made our exit, going back to Matt’s to watch some movie that neither of us paid any attention to. Yes, We are that cool Believe it.

“Did you have a good time?” Matt asked. His arm was around my shoulders and his feet propped on the table.

“I did, thank you for the necklace.”

“You’re welcome,” he replied as he kissed my temple.

“I’m tired, wanna go to bed?”

“Sure, after you tell me what you wanted to talk about.”

I sighed. I knew this was going to come up. Oh well. No better time than the present.

“Matt,” I started.”I… don’t know if I can take the long distance relationship anymore. I mean… you’re on one side of the country while I’m on the other. Calls are getting expensive and it’s not like we can see each other every day…” I paused and looked up at him. His face was blank. “There’s really only one option.”

His arm immediately retracted and he put his feet in the ground as he sat up straight.

“Well… if you’re sure…”

“Of course I’m sure. I miss California.” His eyes bugged.

“What?”

I laughed. “I’m missing California, and I miss being with you all the time. I miss everyone. I’m homesick.”

“Really?” he smiled, showing those picturesque dimples. “We’re not breaking up?”

I shook my head. “Whatever gave you that idea?”
♠ ♠ ♠
I've gone a bit out of order, but I have a reason why. I'm posting number 20 in a bit, and the explanation will there.