Turn The Other Way

Answers... sort of.

“You wanna answer me something?” It was Dad who’d asked this.

“Hm?” I asked, clearing my mouth of my ice cream. I twirled a piece of my hair that was up in a ponytail.

“Why didn’t you ever come visit?”

“Yeah, why not?” Val asked. I looked randomly to Emma. Her hands were covered in chocolate ice cream.

I felt a gentle breeze pass before I answered. I mean… how was I supposed to tell these people that the reason I didn’t come see or talk to them was because of Matt? That the anxiety I felt whenever thinking about him in the beginning was enough to overpower my life? Sure, I’ve gotten over it since then, but I didn’t want the chance of it occurring again. I love Matt, honestly I do, but I don’t want to act like a stupid girl and go running back to him whenever he whispers words that make him sound like he’s just saying it to get in my pants. Which I’m betting everything I own that he was. How am I supposed to trust him anymore? I better make up something quick.

“I like it here. Plus, Laura needs me.” What? It was true. Just not the whole truth. I’m rather proud of myself.

“I wasn’t forcing you to stay here,” Laura replied to my answer with a laugh.

“Yeah, I know, but… I still like it here.”

“Better than Huntington?” Zack asked.

“Huntington is my home, guys, but-“

“You need a tan,” Brian had said. I laughed at this random saying.

“You need to cut your hair,” I replied.

“You still need a tan. You look so pale.”

“I agree. You haven’t changed much except that,” Michelle agreed.

“So how’s life?” I asked everyone.

“I’ve told you what’s been going on,” Brian said.

“Yeah… just… making conversation.”

“Why haven’t you tried to call the rest of us?” Johnny asked. Hurt could barely be heard in his voice, but it was there.

I sighed, not wanting to answer this.

“Don’t you love us anymore?” Jimmy asked. I just had to laugh. “I mean, I understand with Laura, having a kid and a married life, but you? I can’t tell.”

“You know I love you guys, I just… haven’t.”

“Why?” Matt asked.

“Too busy fucking randoms?” Gena asked with a laugh.

“Gena!” Laura nearly yelled.

“Oops… sorry.”

“Don’t say that word, okay?” Laura asked Emma. The girl just giggled and dunked her hand into the melted ice cream while the other clutched her blanket.

“I don’t sleep around,” I told her. “I really haven’t dated anyone.”

“Shocker,” Johnny said, rolling his eyes. I leaned over the table and slapped his arm. “Hey! Ouch! What was that for?”

“Cause I felt like it,” I told him nodding my head and sitting back down. “And for your information, plenty of people have asked me out, I’ve just been too busy.”

“With what?” Dad asked. “A girl like you should be dating a little. You’re young.”

“Dad,” I sighed again. “I’ve been busy with work. Dating doesn’t always come to mind when I’m busy. You know that.” I just haven’t brought myself to do it. Sure, I’ve gone out with some random guys from the shop (I’m a tattooist). They took me to see a movie, or out to lunch or whatever but nothing more than that. It’s either me or them saying that one of us is more of a friend. It’s usually them, but that’s fine with me.

Dad visibly sighed. “Ok, if you say so, kid.”

“I do say so… why are you all looking at me like that?” Everyone besides Matt, who looked pleased, looked at me like I was crazy.

“Because… you are insane.”

“Says you, Jimmy.”

“Yes, says me,” Jimmy told me while folding his arms and nodding.

“Smart ass,” I mumbled with a laugh at the end.

“Lynn, show me around,” Matt said out of nowhere. I just stared at him like he was crazy as he stood up and threw away his trash, taking mine with him.

“Huh?” I asked dumbly.

“Take… him… around…” Zacky said slowly like I was stupid, putting his arm around Gena.

Yay! Distraction. “When did you two start dating?” I asked.

“We haven’t,” Gena protested quickly.

“We’re just good friends, like you and Matt were,” Zacky said. What were these people doing?

“So, show me around?” Matt asked again.

“Ok, there’s the community pool,” I said, pointing across the road. “There are some houses, and there’s a tree. Good. Tours over.”

“C’mon, let’s walk around the block,” he tried.

“Just go so he’ll shut the he- hello up,” Brian prodded.

I groaned and stood up quickly, making a scene on purpose. “Fine.”
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENTS!! AHHH! I lerve them.