We Need No Introduction

"Another year has passed, and I'm alright."

In the past year or so, I’ve only talked to Bam a couple times, and that was over the phone. Since he left for that photo shoot thing, he never returned. Apparently he’s been to busy to be home, around us all… well… me.

In the past year, I’m the only one left in Westchester. Leana and the guys moved down to Huntington Beach because they were tired of Pennsylvania and the weather. Ville’s gone traveling again, and I haven’t seen him in a couple months either. I’m alone in Westchester in my own apartment that I just moved into last week. I got my cosmetology license and April helped to get me hired at the salon she owns. I’ve only just been able to get my own place. I like the freedom of it, but it’s very lonely with all my friends gone.

I haven’t skateboarded since that competition, either. I’ve seen no point in it.

Am I mad at Bam? No, not at all. I hold no ill will to him or anything of that nature actually. He is pursing something that makes him happy and for that, I’m actually really happy for him. I’m not going to hold him back and tell him to stay because I want him to. I couldn’t do that to anyone.

My phone rang, one night when I was trying to sleep. I rolled over in my bed, not wanting to answer it. It finally stopped ringing, but seconds later started up again. I groaned, and rolled over one more and grabbed my phone thinking it was an emergency after checking the two in the morning time. I closed my eyes and flipped open the phone.

“Hello?” I groggily asked.

“Hi, Blair!”

I laughed. “Hi, Bam.”

‘”How are you?” he asked.

“I was sleeping.”

“Oh… Oh! I am so sorry!”

“Are you drunk?” I asked with a light laugh.

“Yes I am but that’s okay.”

“Yeah I am, I mean, yeah it is. I’ve got to tell you something Blair!”

“What?”

“I’m coming home tomorrow and when I do we should get married!”

I laughed. “I’m glad you’re coming home tomorrow. Why should we get married?”

“Because I love you Blair. Duh.”

“That’s no reason, Bam.”

“I think so.”

“I know you do hun. Where you at right now?”

“Philly.”

“And you still call me at two in the morning?”

“Yeah.”

“Babe, I’ve got work tomorrow… today.”

“Oooh… right… you work with Ape.”

“I do,” I said.

“You’ll be saying that to me one day,” Bam said with a loud giggle… not laugh… giggle.

“Sure,” I said. “I’m going to go, okay? I need to go to sleep.”

“Okay. I will see you at the hair place tomorrow.”

“Alright.”

“Goodnight Blair. I love you!”

I chuckled. “I love you too. Don’t party too hard.”

“Too late! Bye!” he said and then hung up before I could reply. I shook my head with a smile and I hung up my phone and went to sleep. Every time he calls me, he says he’s coming home. I put that in the back of my mind as I cuddled deeper into my sheets. I hate February. I hate the winter. I hate the snow. I hate the cold.

I hope everyone else is having a great fucking time in California where there’s no snow or ice or bad roads… I laughed quietly to myself on that thought before I fell back asleep.

++

“No!” I whined to myself as I stalled in the ice one more. I was stuck in my own spot and I hated it. “No!” I said again, stomping my feet on the car’s floor before I got out and went back into the apartment. If Matt was here, he’d be able to help me out with his truck. Stupid rear wheel drive car… stupid having no four wheel drive me. I pulled out my cell phone and called April.

“Hello?” she asked.

“Ape… I’m stuck,” I said defeated.

“What?”

“I can’t get out of my parking spot. It’s too icy. Is Phil around?”

“No, he’s left for work. How about your Dad?”

“Work,” I said.

“Well, I’ll pass you so I’ll come by to pick you up.”

“You sure?” I asked.

“Yes,” she said with a light laugh. “I’m sure. I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“Okay. Thanks, Ape.”

“No problem.” We both hung up and I went out of the apartment, locking it closed behind me. I then walked to my car and waited for Ape to show up.

I saw the purple PT Cruiser minutes later and smiled when I opened the door.

“It’s fucking cold,” I said with a laugh. I shut the door and put on the seatbelt while Ape drove out of the parking lot.

“I can’t wait for winter to be over,” she said.

“I can’t either. I couldn’t wait for it to fucking stop snowing the moment the first snowflake landed.”

“I heard about that,” she laughed.

“Yeah, Mom likes to tell my funny stories.”

“She does like to brag about you and Leana.”

“That she does,” I agreed. “Hey! I got a joke!” Ape laughed and turned the corner.

“What is it?”

“Okay, so one day this rooster walked into a guitar shop. Don’t ask me why. I know roosters can’t play guitars, anyway, the manager asks is he can help the rooster with anything. The rooster says, ‘That’s okay, I’m just here to check out some picks.’ “I laughed, clutching my stomach.

April laughed as well, though not as hard. “Where did you hear that?”

“I made it up,” I replied. “Your son called me at two this morning too, telling me we were going to get married one day.”

“Was he drunk?” April asked.

“Yeah. He was pretty much wasted. He also said he was coming home again today.”

“Doesn’t he always say that?” she asked.

“Yep,” I confirmed.

Ape sighed and shook her head. “I bet you he won’t.”

“I do not doubt you,” I replied.

Soon we were at the salon and Ape pulled into a parking spot. We both stepped out and she locked the doors. Since Ape didn’t have to open today, the doors were already opened.

“Hey Ape. Hey Blair,” my friend and coworker Melissa said. Before you go off asking questions, yes, it’s the same Melissa Bam dumped me for. I don’t really care. She knows who I am and my association with Bam and I know hers. No big deal anymore. I mean… c’mon, smell the coffee. It’s been over four years.

“Mel,” I replied for Ape and I both.

“Sorry we’re late,” Ape said. “Blair was stuck and I picked her up.”

“Oh, you’re not late,” she said looking at the clock.

“Oh dear god Ape!” I said in mock fear while taking off my jacket. “We’re a minute late! We’re all gonna die!”

Ape laughed with Melissa and me and gently pushed my arm.

“Blair,” Melissa said when I entered the closet.

“Yeah,” I responded.

“You’ve got an early nine o’clock coming in.”

“Since when?” I asked, not remembering that appointment.

“Since this morning. As soon as I got in, a customer called. They wanted the earliest available, and they asked specifically for you.”

“It’s probably Mom,” I thought out loud. “She’s wanted a haircut for a while.”

“Probably,” Ape agreed as she went into the closet as I left. Ape came out after hanging her coat up and shut the closet behind her. I went to my station and started to set everything I needed up. I took out the combs and the scissors and set them on a towel on the counter.

“No, it was a guy,” Melissa interjected. “It sounded like Bam.”

“It wasn’t Bam,” I retorted with a scoff. “He’s not coming home today, thus he wouldn‘t come in to get his hair cut.”

“He says he will come home all the time,” Ape attested. “it’s nothing new.”

“It’s no biggie either,” I added. “I mean… Bam’s such a busy man,” I laughed as I sat down in my chair.

“Oh yes,” Melissa said with a laugh. “he’s always skating around and having pictures taken of himself, it must be real tiring.”

“Oh stop it,” Ape laughed as she too started setting up her station.

The door jingled open and I swerved my chair to see who it was. Instead of shopping, the chair kept spinning. I laughed until it stopped and became dizzy.

“Blair! Your nine o’clock is here!” the arrogant customer said.

I focused my attention and saw the person.

“Dear god,” Melissa said, dropping her scissors.

“Bam?” I asked.

“The one and only,” he said, taking me out of my chair and sitting in it. “Okay, so I want it cut about half an inch.”

I laughed and put a bib over him. “I thought you weren’t going to show up.”

“Me either,” Melissa said.

“I said I was, didn’t I?” he asked.

“You say that about every other time, too,” his Mom replied.

“Well this time I actually came back,” he said.

“I missed you,” I said with a laugh as I kissed his cheek.

“Missed you too,” he said with a smile. I grabbed the water bottle and sprayed his hair.

“Told you the person on the voicemail sounded like Bam,” Melissa said.

“Go chew on glass,” I remarked nonchalantly. Everyone lightly laughed as I grabbed the comb and scissors.

“Dunn needs a haircut, too,” Bam said.

“Where is he?” Ape asked.

“He’s manning the car.”

“Why?”

“Because he didn’t.”

April sighed and shook her head. I smiled and ignored Bam staring at me through the mirror.

“You look good,” he said. I looked at his reflection.

“Thanks,” I replied with a smile. “Time hasn’t been too bad to you either. How long are you staying in town?”

“I’ve got a big vacation, actually,” he replied.

“Which will be how long?” I asked.

“A couple months.”

“Nice,” I replied, snipping at his hair.
♠ ♠ ♠
This took longer than I thought to write...

Comments and subscriptions, pretty please?