A Wonderful Caricature of Intimacy; A Tale of Past Lovers

Lips Pressed Close To Mine, True Blue

(Kayla’s POV)

I sat in my childhood tree house, reading my assignment for school. I was waiting for Daniel to come back to school. He had a track meet. I couldn’t go watch because it was a different school and hand no way of getting there. For some reason I keep getting drawn to him. We’ve been hanging out more and more. I haven’t really talked to Nate in a while. After our fight, I’ve been ignoring him. I sighed as I check my watch. It was almost 6. He should be done soon.

“Kayla! Can you come down here and set the table.” Mother shouted.

I got up and looked out the door of my tree house.

“I’m coming.” I said back.

I grabbed my books and headed down the ladder. As I got down, I heard the bushes rustling behind me I got down to see Daniel come out of nowhere.

“Hey.” I said as I approached him.

“Hello.” He said back.

His hair was wet, and he was carrying his track bag.

“How was your meet?” I asked.

“Good. I got 1st place in the 4 by 100’s.” He said with a huge smile.

“Awesome! Congratulations!” I said as I gave him a hug.

“Want to stay for dinner?”

“I don’t think I can. Mom and Dad wanted me to come home after the meet. They wanted to talk.”

I started to get a little worried.

“Is it something really serious?”

“I hope not. I don’t know what’s going ot happen to be honest with you…” he said as his expression turned from a happy to a sad one.

“Okay, well once they tell you, sneak out and come over. We can meet in my tree house. Just throw some pebbles at that window up there. That’s my room. I’ll come down when I hear you.” I said.

“Okay. I better go before my parents start to worry.”

“Okay. Bye.”

“Bye.”

We both gave each other a hug, and I watched him walk towards the front of my house and head down the street.

************

As I was about to get into bed, I heard pebbles tapping at my window. I headed towards the window and opened it. I leaned outside to see him down below my window,

“I’ll be right down.” I whispered.

I leaned back into my room and grabbed my jacket and headed quietly down the stairs. I saw the light off in my parents’ room. They must have already fallen asleep. I unlocked and opened the back door slowly so I wouldn’t wake them up. I slowly closed it again and headed towards Daniel.

“Hi. Come on…” I said as I grabbed his hand.

I pulled him towards the ladder of my tree house and started to climb up with him following me. After we both got inside the tree house, we sat at the edge of the door and let our feet swing away. We looked over at the moon shining over the sleeping city.

“So what happened?” I asked.

“Kayla, I don’t know how to tell you this… but…”he said.

“But what?” I asked him worriedly.

“My family and I are moving to California.” He finally said.

I just stared at him as the news hit me hard.

“What? Why?” I said.

“Well you know how Dad’s the head of the company here in Chicago. Well the president of the company wants Dad to be the head of the new company in California. Since I’m almost graduating, he thought it would be a good opportunity and go to school there instead of here. Plus he got offered more money.”

“Daniel…, but I don’t want you to leave!” I said.

“I don’t want to leave either. I mean I know I’m going to college in the fall, but I didn’t expect that I would be leaving the state for it. I just wanted to go to school in the city.”

“Well maybe you can! Maybe you can stay here for school.”

“I can’t. I already asked my mother and father about it. They don’t want to leave me here alone. And plus, I don’t want to leave my family as well. I wouldn’t know what to do by myself.”

“You would have my family and me.”

“I know… but I just can’t.” He said. “You know your dad is going to be the head of the company here now when we leave.”

“What? He didn’t even tell us. He probably told my mom but not me yet.”

“Yeah, that’s what my dad said.”

I just sat there and sighed.

“When are you leaving?” I asked, the question bugging me the whole time.

“When school is done, two weeks into summer.”

I couldn’t believe he was leaving Chicago. I started to sob out of no where. I tried to hide it but he heard me.

“Hey, don’t cry. I mean we can call each other and everything. And maybe you can visit me during break or something!” He said as he wrapped his arms around me.

“I know…”

But I knew it probably wouldn’t happen. I know he’ll probably forget about me in the end. What am I thinking? We aren’t even dating, but it’s as if we are.

“Come on, it will be fine in the end. Don’t worry about it.”

“You know me. I will forever.” I whispered.

He slowly let go of me and mumbled something about having to go back before his mom and dad find him missing. We both climbed down the ladder and walked towards the middle of the backyard.

“Hey…” he said as he stopped infront of me.

He then wiped away the tears and smiled.

“Everything will turn out ok. Trust me.” He said.

“Promise?” I asked.

“Promise.” He said with a reassuring smile.

He then leaned in and gave me a huge hug. We pulled apart, but he still had a hold of me. He then leaned in slowly, and our faces were so close. My heart skipped a beat as our lips touched. I felt the spark instantly. He deepened the kiss a little as I kissed back. A few seconds later, our lips weren’t touching anymore. We looked at each other smiling.

“I better go…”

“Okay.” I said as I bit my lip.

“Bye.” He said as he let go of me and started to walk backwards towards the front of the house.

“Bye.” I said as I waved.

I watched him yet again walk away towards his house.

“What the hell was that?”a voice said.

I turned around to see a dark figure come towards me. As the he approached me even closer, I saw who it was in the moonlight.

“Nate?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments would be totes awesome...

Hmmm I wonder what's gonna happen in the present with Brendon and Erelin? =]