A Wonderful Caricature of Intimacy; A Tale of Past Lovers

Kissing Cheeks

Chapter 5
*70 years ago...

"Kayla Bristow! You are so gonna get it!"

I turned around to see Nathaniel chasing after me. I couldn't stop laughing. I had embarrassed him in front of all the girls in our class. I've known him ever since we were little. My dad didn't really like him because he was a boy. He said I shouldn't be friends with boys.

"CAUGHT YOU!"

I was lost in my thought of running when the brown haired, brown eyes boy tackled me into the grass.

"OWW!" I yelled.

"That's what you get for embarrassing me in front of everyone," He said as he got up.

"You're just upset that I stopped you from flirting with all those girls," I said as he grabbed my hand and helped me up from the ground.

"Why would I need to flirt with girls when I already have a girl of my own," Nathaniel said as he put his arm around my shoulder.

"Nate..."

"What??? I don't need more girl friends. I've got you. What more can I ask for? That and the fact that you're pretty with your big smile, brown eyes, and black hair," He said as we reached my house.

He lives two houses down from me. That's how we know each other. We have been friends for a couple of years now. I blushed a little when he said that last comment

"I'll see you tomorrow," I said as I released from his arm and ran up the stairs.

"Oh come on, Kay! You know it's true," Nate yelled after me.

"Stop using that charm of yours! No wonder why girls fall for you easily!" I said back.

I opened the front door to my house. I saw Mother and Father in the living room.

"Hi Mommy. Hi Daddy..." I said as I rushed to them, giving them a kiss on the cheek.

"Hi Kayla. No homework today?" Mother said as she continued on to knit.

"Nope. Not today," I said.

"Were you hanging out with that Taylor boy?" Father asked as he looked up from the newspaper.

"We just walked home together from school. That's all, Daddy," I said.

He grunted and went back to reading the paper.

"Kayla, honey. Go wash up. We are having guests over tonight," Mother said.

"Ok..."

"And you better behave. I don't want that boy to stop by either. It's my new boss and his family that's coming over," Father said while still paying attention to his newspaper.

"Yes, Daddy," I said.

I turned around and headed upstairs to my room to change. Since the Great Depression, my father has been out of work for quite sometime. And when the United States entered World War I about 3 years into it, my father had been sent to fight. I am lucky that he came back home safe. Nate was there to comfort me when I was scared for him. Father doesn't realize that. Now that our economy is slowly getting back together again, Daddy has finally found a new job to support his family again.

I cleaned up and got ready. I helped Mother in the kitchen with dinner to help entertain our guests.

"Pst.." I heard as I washed the pots that we were done with already.

I looked up from the sink through the kitchen window. Nate was in my back yard. I dried my hands and checked to see where Mother was. She was too busy to pay attention to me. I snuck out the back door to the backyard to meet him.

"You better go! My daddy's boss is coming any minute with his family," I said.

"I'm sorry. I just wanted to see you," He said.

"Come back later at midnight. You know where to meet!" I said.

"Kayla?" I heard Mother saying my name.

"Ok... Bye," He said as he kissed me on the cheek.

I felt my face blush again, and I watched him sneak out again. I snuck back inside and saw my Mother looking at me.

"You better pray your father didn't see him," She said in a whisper.

"Mother..."

"Are you two dating yet?"

"NO!"

"You two would make such a cute couple. Just don't tell your father that I said that."

"I promise."

I finished up cleaning when I heard the doorbell rang.

"Hey Mr. Robinson."

"Rey, you know you can call me Jack. This is my wife Jessica, and our son Daniel."

I walked up to them to greet them a hello.

"This is my wife, Evelyn, and our daughter Kayla."

I smiled back as I was introduce. I looked over at Daniel. He was sort of cute. Had brown hair, oval shaped head, with hazel eyes. I smiled a soft smile at him. He in turn did the same thing to me.

"Wow, she is so pretty. She looks just like you Evelyn," Jessica said.

"Thank you. Won't you come in? I made some snacks that we can all eat before we eat dinner. Some of it is still in the oven."

My mother and father escorted them into our living room, but I didn't follow. My mind was still set on the kiss that Nate had given me. Grant it, it was on the cheek. I don't know if i would want it on the lips though.