A Wonderful Caricature of Intimacy; A Tale of Past Lovers

Calm Breezes To Horrible Storms

Chapter 8

Kayla’s POV – 70 years ago

I climbed up the ladder to my treehouse. It was past midnight. The Robinson’s had left. I learned that Daniel goes to Driscoll, the Catholic School down the street from my school, Addison Trail. He was very nice…cute too. I don’t know though. I just couldn’t keep my mind off of one person.

“Hey,” Nate said as I finally climbed in.

“Hey,” I said as I sat next to him.

“How was the dinner with you father’s boss?”

“Okay I guess,” I said as I looked over at the moon.

It looked so pretty. I heard Nat move over as he came closer to me. I looked over at him and smiled. I rested my head on his shoulder as we continued to just sit here. I felt happy just being there with him in silence.

*************

I was walking home from school with Nate when I heard my name being said. I turned around to see Daniel walking towards me.

“Hi Daniel! This is my friend that I told you about,” I said as he walked closer to us.

“Hi, Nathaniel is it?” Daniel asked.

“Yea,” Nate said as he held out his hand.

They shook hands, but I could tell Nate was a little uncomfortable.

“Kayla’s told me so much about you. Did you just guys leave school?”

“Yes. We’re heading home now,” I said with a smile.

“Ahh ok. Well I better head back to school and change for baseball practice. It was nice meeting you, Nate. Bye Kayla.”

“Bye.”

We continued walking home.

“Who was that?” Nate asked.

“Oh… that was my father’s boss’s son. He brought over his whole family for dinner that night.”

“I don’t like him,” Nate said.

He was very truthful with me. He tells me what’s on his mind. Sometimes thought, I fell that he doesn’t tell me enough though. Like he’s hiding something from me.

“Why? You just met him,” I said.

“I just don’t”

“You haven’t even got to know him,”I said as we reached my house.

“I just have that feeling. I don’t think you should talk to him.”

“What are you my father?”

“I’m just saying.”

“Save it, Nate. I’ll see you tomorrow,” I said as I stormed off towards my house.

I came inside to see my mother and father in the living room.

“Hi Mommy. Hi Daddy,” I said as I walked over to them and kissed them on the cheek.

“How was school?” Mother asked.

“Fine as usual.”

“You know, Jack told me Daniel couldn’t stop talking about you after they left the house,” Father said.

“Hmmmm,” was all I could say.

“He’s a real nice boy,” he continued on.

“Rey…”

“What? I’m just saying. He’s probably much better then that Taylor boy.”

He never ever says his first name.

“Daddy….”

“Kayla, why don’t you go upstairs and wash up. You can help me fix dinner,” Mother said.

“Ok.” I said as I rushed upstairs.

I reached my room and shut the door. I walked over to my bed and laid back town on it. I couldn’t help but get mad. I was mad at my dad for picking on Nate all the time. I was mad that Nate hated Daniel when he doesn’t even know him. I was mad that I’m starting to have second doubts. Do I still like my best friend?

I’m mad at me for thinking all of this.