She Screams in Her Pillow

Texts

I pulled my hoodie tighter as I saw Nick approaching. His hands were stuffed in his pockets, his eyes already assessing my hoodie. It didn't get cold around here in the summer, even at night. And of course, I had a huge hoodie on.

"Thanks for meeting me," Nick said as he hugged me. I winced as his arms wrapped around my newest bruises. He backed away, his face full of concern

"Best friend, remember," I rolled my eyes playfully before he could say something. "So what's up? What did you have to show me?"

Nick sighed, shaking his head. He apparently decided not to ask because he took my hand. "Not here." He started leading me down the sidewalk.

"Where are you taking me Jonas," I mumbled as we approached the woods. "No way am I going in there."

"Please," he asked, his eyes pleading.

I sighed. "Fine, but if you let go of my hand even once Nicholas Jerry Jonas, I will murder you while you sleep," I warned. He laughed, squeezing my hand tighter. "And you have to sing to me."

"Sing to you," he asked, confused.

"Duh," I rolled my eyes again, smirking. "Don't even try to deny it Nick. You can sing."

He smiled as we trudged along. "What do you want me to sing to you?"

"Anything," I said quietly.

"Okay," he said, thinking for a second.

If the heart is always searching,
Can you ever find a home?
I've been looking for that someone,
I'll never make it on my own.
Dreams can't take the place of loving you,
There's gotta be a million reasons why it's true

When you look me in the eyes,
And tell me that you love me.
Everything's alright,
When you're right here by my side.
When you look me in the eyes,
I catch a glimpse of heaven.
I find my paradise,
When you look me in the eyes.

How long will I be waiting,
To be with you again
Gonna tell you that I love you,
In the best way that I can.
I can't take a day without you here,
You're the light that makes my darkness disappear.

When you look me in the eyes,
And tell me that you love me.
Everything's alright,
When you're right here by my side.
When you look me in the eyes,
I catch a glimpse of heaven.
I find my paradise,
When you look me in the eyes.

More and more, I start to realize,
I can reach my tomorrow,
I can hold my head high,
And it's all because you're by my side.

When you look me in the eyes,
And tell me that you love me.
Everything's alright,
When you're right here by my side.
When I hold you in my arms
I know that it's forever
I just gotta let you know
I never wanna let you go

Cause when you look me in the eyes.

And tell me that you love me.
Everything's alright,
When you're right here by my side.
When you look me in the eyes,
I catch a glimpse of heaven.
I find my paradise,
When you look me in the eyes.
Oh


"That was beautiful Nick," I whispered when he was done.

"Thanks, but Joe wrote a lot of it," he said.

"Right," I rolled my eyes for real this time. "Joe Jonas, your brother Joe Jonas? The guy with as much musical ability as you have learning ability?"

"Funny," he smirked at me. "And yes, that Joe Jonas. Kevin helped too."

"Now that I can believe," I said as we continued to walk, our hands still intertwined. "Nicholas, where are we going?"

"You'll see," he smirked. "So tell me. What is with you and Joe? Why are you guys always fighting?"

"He hates me," I said quietly. Before Nick could say anything, I saw a light at the end of our trail. Smiling, I let go of Nick's hand and ran towards it only to find us at a playground. "Where are we?"

"I like to come here to think," he told me, taking me hand again. "Come on."

He led me to the swings, taking one and holding the other out for me. I smiled, sitting in it. For a few moments we just swung back and forth in silence, enjoying this moment. I felt so free swinging, like I had no limit to how high I could go, how far away, leaving the bruises behind.

"So what did you have to show me," I asked Nick, coming back to reality.

"He doesn't hate you, you know," he said quietly.

"Who," I asked, confused.

"Joe," he said. "He doesn't hate you."

"Right," I rolled my eyes. "And being mean to me is his way of telling me we're like family, right? Give me a break Nick."

"I'm serious," he said quietly. He reached in his pocket and took out a little silver phone. "Here," he handed it to me. "Check out the last sent text. And then check the last received one."

Confused, I opened it, checking it out.

Hey Devi. What happened today was too mean. You've changed. I can't be with you anymore. I'm sorry.

I gasped. This was Joe's phone. I checked the received messages.

Is it because of that skank Valentine?

I looked up at Nick, tears in my eyes. "Why are you showing me this?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Written by Devi.