She Screams in Her Pillow

Sunglasses

"Hey," I said as I opened my door when Nick knocked.

He took in the sunglasses and big hoodie I had put on. "Going for the gangster look," he asked quietly.

"You know how I do," I crossed my arms, trying to make him laugh. But of course, it didn't work. He just continued to stare at me as I closed my door and started down my steps. "So the evil brother got his car back, I presume? Seeing as he isn't walking with us. Or did he and Devi get back together and she's giving him a ride?"

He didn't follow. "Val, take off the sunglasses."

I rolled my eyes, even though he couldn't see me. I started panicking. "Sorry Nick, but doctor's orders. No can do."

"Oh really," he asked, still not moving. "And when exactly did you go to the doctor's Val? After you left my house or before you met up with me last night?"

"Nick, I—"

A horn cut me off. We looked to see Joe's car stopped on the road. His window lowered. "Need a ride guys," he asked.

I laughed once. Was this a joke? Had pigs flown or something? Because that is the only way Joseph Jonas would ever ask me if I wanted a ride to school – where people could see. This had to be a trap. "What, so you can push me out as soon as we pass a bridge?"

He rolled his eyes. "Like there are any high enough bridges on the way to school. Just get in MC Hammer."

I looked at Nick, unsure of what to do. The topic of my sunglasses, I knew, was subsided, but wasn't closed. Nick shrugged. "Okay," he said, walking to his brother's car. "Val, you can sit up front."

"Um, no it's okay, you can," I said quickly, wanting to be as far away from Joe as possible if I was going to have to be in the same car as him.

Joe rolled his eyes. "I'm not going to kill you Val."

I froze. Had he just called me Val? And not Valentine? I slowly got into the front seat, careful to not touch anything. Lord only knew what when on in Joe Jonas's car. I pulled my hoodie closer to me. Joe was watching me. "Are you cold? I can turn the heater up."

It was 95 degrees outside. "No, I'm okay," I said quietly. Why was he being so nice to me?

The ride was quiet. Nobody really knew what to say, least of all me. Joe pulled into a spot in the student parking lot. We all froze as we saw a car pull in next to us. I slumped down a bit. Devi was sitting in the driver's seat.

"Um, maybe we should go," Nick said quickly.

I nodded, getting out quickly. I froze again as she too got out of the car. She had sweats on, almost as baggy as my usual ones. But of course, they looked way better on her. Her hair was thrown up in a messy bun, as if she didn't even care. There was on make-up on her face. She looked so – sad. Yet, I couldn't help but admit that she was breathtakingly beautiful. Why would Joe ever give her up? Her eyes finally shifted to me, as if noticing me for the first time. For a split second, there was remorse, but then it turned into a glare. "What are you looking at," she demanded.

"N-n-nothing," I stammered. As down as she looked, I knew she wasn't one to be trifled with.

Her eyes shifted to Joe, who was standing on the opposite side of the car, watching us. She pushed an invisible piece of hair behind her hair before leaving quickly. I gasped. She had barely looked at him for two seconds, and wanted to get away – as if being near him hurt her. "Come on Val," Nick ushered me away from my rooted spot.

I was still completely lost as we scanned in, walking to my locker. "Hey Val," we heard Idalis say. "Hey Nick."

"What's up," he mumbled, his gaze on me, watching me.

"Hi," I said quietly.

"I like your sunglasses," Idalis said.

"Thanks," I mumbled.

"You don't need them anymore Val," Nick said coolly. "You can take them off now, you know?"

"Um no sorry I can't," I said quickly. "I have to go um – tutor Idalis in the library,"

"Wha—oh um yeah," she said as she looked at me. "Darn me and math."

"Val, you suck at math," Nick rolled his eyes.

"Do not," I said defensively. "I beat you on that last test."

"By one point," he scoffed.

"Which was about 20 points higher than me," Idalis interjected, grabbing my arm. She was lying. She had gotten a 92. I knew. I had seen it. But what amazed me was that she was lying. . . for me. "I can use all the help I can get."

"Later," I said quickly as Idalis ushered me away.

She pulled me into the bathroom, turning to me. "Okay missy. Take off he glasses."

"What," I said quickly. "Um sorry – I can't."

"I don't lie Val," she told me. "So now that I just did, there sure as hell better be a good reason. And you're going to tell me."

I groaned. "Fine, but you have to promise not to tell Nick."

"I cannot make that promise until I know," she told me.

"Idalis—"

"Fine," she rolled her eyes. "I promise. Now let's see it."

I nodded, reaching up to take the sunglasses off slowly. I heard her gasp softly as she saw my face.
♠ ♠ ♠
devi =]