‹ Prequel: Alone With You

Fragile

Chapter Thirty One.

Me and Brian were stood, dumbfounded. Was this girl for real? Brian locked his eyes with mine as he let out a sharp breath. He then looked away from me and took a step towards Denim. She smiled, reaching out to take his hand in hers. He grabbed hold of her had and smiled at her sweetly. His eyes then flicked up to meet mine as he bought her into a hug.

“How does it feel, Zack?” Gena turned and asked me.

I was about to answer but I was cut off by Brian pushing Denim up the counter fiercely, the overhanging worktop digging into her back.

“You sick woman…” Brian started, but then leaned in to whisper something inaudible to her.

I then heard a thump come from upstairs. Gena’s face instantly struck with Panic, her eyes flickering up to the ceiling. I followed her gaze to be met with an attic opening that was shut. It then hit me. We were on the top floor. Gena has an attic. I then looked to the step ladders that were in the corner.

“Brian!” I yelled.

“What?” he asked, keeping Denim under his restraints. I then nodded my head towards Gena, who he also reached out and grabbed, locking them both tight in his grip.

They began complaining and yelling, fear present in their voices as they watched me place the step ladders into position.

I climbed up them and easily moved the board out of the way, climbing up into the attic. There was a long stretch of baby guards up, separating the room in half. I smiled in joy as I saw Jake and Jordan sat on a bed in the corner.

“Daddy!” they both yelled, running up to the fence. I then realised that the fence was blocking off the side with the door and the skylight window on the block their ways of getting out.

I ran over to them, pulling them both over the fence. I then heard police sirens through the open skylight.

“I’m so glad you’re safe,” I whispered as their arms wrapped tightly around my neck.

“Denim said you hated us and wanted us to go,” Jordan said into my neck.

“No, I don’t hate you, I could never hate you, me and your dad had a fall out with Denim and she was very naughty and took you off us,” I said, trying to explain the fact that Denim had turned psycho in the most understandable language for six year olds.

“Brian!” I yelled down the hatch.

“What?”

“They’re here,” I said smiling.

I heard a cheer, followed by the creaking of the ladders. I watched as Brian’s head popped up the square hole, his face turning out into an enormous grin. He stepped up into the attic and ran over too us.

“I’ve missed you so much,” he said as I passed the boys into his arms.

Downstairs I heard banging on the door followed by two girly shrieks. The police were finally here. I stood there and breathed a sigh of relief and brushed my hand through my hair. I looked back at Brian who’s face was streaming with tears. He looked at me, his eyes full of happiness. He walked back over to me and I wrapped my arms around his waist.

I pecked his lips and went back downstairs where a police officer was writing down some notes onto a pad and Jimmy was stood in the doorway.

“Ah, there you are,” he said, looking up smiling.

“Yeah, here I am,” I said tearfully.

He pointed up towards the attic hatch and I nodded. His face lit up and walked over to the ladders. Only to have Jakes foot in his face as he walked down.

“Mr Baker?” The police officer asked.

“Yeah.”

“You and Mr Haner will have to be brought down to the police station along with your children for questioning,” he explained.

“Cant it wait? I mean look at them. They’re six years old, just wait until we can explain what’s going to go on and give them time to calm down. They’ve been locked away for fifteen days,” I said.

He nodded and walked away.

I turned back to Brian who was stood talking to Jimmy. He had Jakes hands in his as Jake stood on his feet. Jordan came bounding over to me, jumping into my arms.

“I’m hungry,” he whispered.

“What has she been feeding you?”

“Not a lot. She came up to give us breakfast. Then nothing until dinner,” he said.

“McDonalds?” I asked.

He nodded enthusiastically.

“You need a bath first though,” I said.

Brian walked over to us and grabbed my hand before pulling me out of the door. He pulled me down the stairs and towards the doors.

“Later Jim,” he yelled up the stairs.

I carried Jordan to his car and opened it. Dickhead didn’t lock it properly. I sat Jordan in the back and untangled his arms from around my neck. It wasn’t until I opened the door to the passenger seat I spotted what Brian had thrown in the car before he set off.

House keys, wallet, sunglasses, Flip Flops. What the fuck? A map of California, a pen and Jordan’s monkey.

I smiled and threw the monkey at Jordan who bounced in his seat and gripped the small item hard. I moved the stuff off the seat and turned to Brian who was shutting his door.

He turned to me and pulled me into a hug.

“Thank God their okay,” he whispered.

I nodded and pulled away.

We arrived back at the house in no time. Brian was instantly on the phone to everyone telling them the news and I was upstairs giving the twins a much-needed bath. They were sat under the foot high pool of water in the marble, circular bathtub, Jordan was messing about while I washed Jakes hair with L'oreal Kids Cherry shampoo, that stuff smells so good!

“You got soap in my eye,” Jake whined.

“Suck it up,” I laughed. He grabbed the shampoo and squirted the clear, red liquid at Jordan who was pretending to be on a pirate ship.

Jordan squealed and wiped the red liquid off his neck, flinging it back at Jordan.

“Stop it,” I warned.

They instantly stopped the little war they had going on and laughed about it. I turned toward the door and saw that Brian was casually leaning against the wooden frame.

“How long have you been there?” I asked.

“Since you finished washing Jordan’s hair,” He laughed.

I blushed as he came and kneeled down next to me. I let Jake move away to wash his hair out.

“I’ve missed you,” Jordan said as he stepped out of the bath, pulling on his Spiderman pyjamas . Jake followed instantly in his footsteps, but dressing in Star Wars P’J’s.

I smiled as they ran out of the room, “Lets get things back to normal,” I suggested.

“As normal as we can be,” Brian laughed.

“Fuck yeah,” I said.

The grin on Brian’s face was unbearable. He couldn’t stop smiling.

“If you didn’t know that the kids were in the attic, would you’ve married Denim?”

“I don’t know. I mean, if I was put in that situation then I would, then grab the kids and get the fuck outta’ there,” he laughed.

I nodded. He stood up and grabbed my hand, dragging me to my feet. I smiled at him and followed him outside and down the stairs. We went into the kitchen to find Jake and Jordan sat at the kitchen table with the take out menus scattered everywhere.

“I want this one,” Jake said as soon as we walked through the door. He held up the leaflet with ‘Aroma Curry House’ on the front.

“Jay, you know Jordan cant eat spicy food,” Brian warned.

“Jordan just cant eat food,” he muttered under his breath.

I watched as Jordan reached for a ‘normal’ food menu and picked it up, smiling when he saw the chicken nuggets.

We ended up stopping for both Jake and Jordan, I had curry with Jake while Brian had a burger with Jordan. It was now half ten and we were lying in the huge bed. The twins insisted on sleeping with us tonight in case the ‘evil Denim’ comes back. I was lying on my back, the nightlight was on and Jake was softly muttering to Brian about something. Jordan dropped off about ten minutes ago, his monkey wrapped tightly in his arms.

Denim was in prison, her side-kick Gena with her. My bond with my kids was better than ever and my relationship with Brian was like a rock. At this thought I tightened my grip with Brian’s hand, making him look over to me. In the dim light I saw the tears streaming down his face and the look of sheer happiness in his eyes. Yeah, everything was good.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, So I know I said 2, but I have squidged it all into one huge one.

I'm sorry I didnt update yesterday. I was drunk off my ass. =S

There will be an epilouge, so this is the end. I will have the epilouge up ASAP, but yeah, its the end of an era. A good one at that =D