‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 15

I walk into a tiny Subway restaurant, thinking of what to order and grateful for the time alone. Pete hadn’t stopped following me around since yesterday, saying I needed to be protected. I had managed to lose him at a crowded intersection but he was already calling, texting and leaving frantic messages.

I turn my phone off and get in the line. The person in front of me is wearing a black cap and a green sweater, both of which I’m sure I’ve seen before.

“Patrick?” I ask uncertainly and the person turns around revealing the cherubic face I had grown to love.

“Patrick!” I exclaim, pulling him into hug.

I instantly pull away when I remember that not everyone had forgiven me for my little stint in Boston.

“When did you get back?” Patrick asks, interest in his green eyes.

“Um, a few days ago actually,” I say and Patrick smiles and nods.

“That’s great.”

“I’m sorry if this is a stupid question but...aren’t you supposed to be mad at me? I mean everyone else-” I begin uncomfortably.

“I was angry at first but then I realized that I was being stupid. You had your reasons, I’m sure, for doing what you did. Besides, I’m not one to hold grudges,” Patrick adds.

I smile and hug Patrick again. “You are the most amazing friend I’ve ever had. Why aren’t girls like throwing their bras at you?” I say, as the line moves forward.

Patrick shrugs, blushes and orders his meal all in one fluid motion. I do the same sans the blushing and shrugging and follow Patrick to a table by the door. Patrick and I do some catching up, for long after we’ve finished our sandwiches.

Turns out he broke up with Victoria a month after I had left for reasons he didn’t want to get into. Now he was dating a girl named Holly who was majoring in marine biology.

In the middle of describing Holly’s appearance Patrick gets a text. He apologizes profusely and tells me that he’s late for band practice.

“You’re in a band?” I ask and Patrick nods enthusiastically.

“I play drums!” he remarks.

“That’s awesome.”

Patrick nods again and stands up, “I really am late though, so I’ll see you later?”

“Yeah, of course,” I say and we exchange our goodbyes before Patrick leaves.

A week later

William had finally gotten the courage to ask me out on a date, so I was in Pete’s room getting ready. I had agreed not only because I liked William but because I had been thinking about Gabe and I for the entire week and quite frankly, I was exhausted. William was the perfect kind of distraction and for that I was grateful.

William had agreed to pick me up at eight and from there we’d go to dinner. I of course had gone into overload and was focused on looking my absolute best. And with Pete constantly hovering over my shoulder, I was sure to fail.

“Pete,” I begin slowly and he instantly drops my eyeliner.

“Yes,” he answers flashing me an innocent smile.

“Quit it,” I hiss, shooting him a glare.

“Quit what?” he asks, examining a pair of my earrings.

“Quit touching my stuff,” I say, slapping the earrings out of his hands.

Pete pouts and opens his mouth to respond, when the doorbell rings.

“Probably one of my groupies,” he says, smiling wryly.

“You wish,” I mutter, as Pete runs to go answer the door.

I sigh, grateful for the silence and assess my appearance. Not too shabby.

Pete reappears in the doorway, looking slightly nervous, “Um, Sabrina.”

“Not a groupie?” I ask.

“Even better; Gabe!” Pete laughs and as if realizing how humorless the situation really was, abruptly stops.

“He wants to talk to you,” he continues.

“I don’t care. Tell him to leave,” I hiss and Pete frowns.

“You’re being a little unreasonable.”

“I can’t deal with him tonight,” I say turning back to the rather large mirror in Pete’s room.

“Fine,” Pete says, walking back out of the room.

A few seconds later Pete walks back into the room, “he’s not leaving.”

“What do you mean he isn’t leaving?! Can’t you do something?” I ask.

“He’s waiting for you outside.”

I sigh and take one last look at my reflection, “I’m leaving then.”

I hug Pete and he wishes me luck as I venture out of the apartment.

“Sabrina-” Gabe begins, as soon as he sees me.

“What are you doing here?”

“You look really nice,” Gabe murmurs, ignoring my question completely.

“Don’t avoid the question Gabe,” I hiss, as he takes a step toward me.

“Don’t go on this date Sabrina,” he says simply, placing his arms on my hips.

“Why would I do that? I’m supposed to ditch William because you told me to?” I ask crossing my arms.

So maybe that thought had crossed my mind a couple of times but I was over it.

“Sabrina, I like you maybe even lo-”

“That stopped being enough a long time ago,” I interrupt and Gabe barely even blinks.

“Then what is enough? What do I have to do to stop you from going out with him?” he asks, a spark of anticipation flashing through his eyes.

I could think of more than a few things but with Gabe eagerly awaiting my response I wasn’t so sure. I was going out with Bill in ten minutes and not only was it morally wrong to run off with Gabe, but I also didn’t want to. Don’t get me wrong, I still had feelings for him, but I liked William too. I wanted to go on our date, much to Gabe’s displeasure.

“Well?” Gabe prompts, with seemingly no intention of backing off until my phone rings.

Oh thank God.

“Hey Bill!” I yell, almost too enthusiastically.

“Is everything okay? You sound-”

“I’m great! I’m on my way down right now!” I shout before hanging up and bolting down the stairs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Three comments and sorry for the wait.