‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 17

“So when is the date?” Pete asks as soon as I walk out of my room the next day.

“What date?” I ask, watching Pete fix his hair in the reflection of a spoon.

“The date with Gabe,” he clarifies, dropping the spoon and sending me a huge smile.

I narrow my eyes, “there is no date and how do you even know about that?”

Pete shrugs, “I might have told Gabe to-”

“You didn’t!”

“I thought you would say yes!” he exclaims.

“Why the hell would I do that?!”

“Because you love him,” Pete says, after a brief moment of hesitation.

The retort that had been waiting on my tongue instantly vanished. Is that what people thought? That I loved Gabe?

“I do not love him!” I shout, “take that back!”

“I dunno Sabrina, Patrick thinks you love him too and Patrick’s always right.”

“Well he’s wrong this time. I do not love Gabe!”

The doorbell ringing distracts me momentarily and I give Pete a suspicious glare.

“Who is that?”

“Um, nobody,” he mutters, running towards the door.

I follow Pete to the door (much more slowly) and raise an eyebrow at Pete’s urgent whispers. I look over Pete’s shoulder and Gabe smiles at me. Of course it was Gabe at the door. Who else could it have been?

Pete,” I hiss and he coughs nervously.

“Sabrina don’t be a bitch, let him stay,” Pete pleads and I glare at him.

“I’m not a bitch.” Gabe snorts from behind the door and I turn my attention to him.

“What?” I hiss.

“You kind of are a bitch. In a good way though,” he adds, noticing the look on my face. I give Gabe my favorite finger, before turning back to kitchen to get some breakfast.

“Sabrina-”

“No, no Gabe. You’re going to stay here with Pete and I’m going to stay away from you,” I say without turning around.

“See there you go being a bitch again.” I spin around and take two large steps towards Gabe but Pete stops me halfway.

“Sabrina, please don’t kill him,” he says, jutting out his bottom lip.

I roll my eyes, “give me one good reason as to why I shouldn’t kill him.”

“Um...because you’re good friend Pete is asking you not to?” he asks hopefully. Pete gives me his best pout and I cave.

“Fine,” I mutter, ignoring the smile forming on Gabe’s lips. I head off to my room to sulk and possibly call William.

Week after first date

“We’ve been on four dates and we’re still not official yet,” I say and Pete doesn’t answer.

We were sitting on his bed, lazily watching television and trying to ignore the fact that classes started tomorrow. Pete had one arm around my waist and was only half-listening to me. The other half was intently watching The Jungle Book. Go figure.

“Pete.”

“Yeah, I’m listening,” he answers, grabbing a can of soda off the night stand.

I roll my eyes and cross my arms, “liar.”

“I’m not lying. You and William, unofficial. Big deal.”

“Well I feel much better now,” I mutter, taking the soda from his hand.

“What do you want me to say? He’ll ask you when he’s ready,” Pete says, reaching for the drink.

“But what if he’s never ready and Gabe tries to rape me or something?” I complain, as my phone vibrates against my leg.

I give Pete his soda and read the screen.

Text from William. You wanna go for a walk?

I send him a quick yes and glance at Pete who’s still staring at the TV. I wave my hand in front of his face and he grabs my hand and places it way to close to Pete Jr. all while staring at The Jungle Book. I pull my hand away and Pete snickers.

“Fucker,” I hiss, slapping his arm and getting off the bed.

“Aw, things were just getting fun,” Pete whines and I toss a pillow at his head.

“I’m going for a walk with William,” I say pulling my coat on. “Have fun,” he says absent-mindedly and I walk out.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay so this is kind of a filler but the next chapter isn't.
Commentsssss