‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 22

When I wake up that morning, William’s arms are around my waist, and sun is cascading across the sheets. I stretch–as much as possible without waking him and turn around to face him. His hair was sticking out in all directions and a peaceful smile adorned his face. I lean forward and place a light kiss on William’s cheek.

“Mm,” he mumbles, still half asleep. I push his hair out of his eyes and kiss his nose and he smiles.

“Hey,” he murmurs, opening his eyes and kissing me softly on the lips.

“We should do this more often,” I say softly, before kissing him back. And then the quiet peaceful bubble breaks.

“You didn’t go home last night but you didn’t get laid, what makes you think he did?” Pete asks in an obnoxiously loud voice.

That voice was probably a warning for me to get dressed, but I didn’t really want to leave the bed where William was placing light kisses along my neck. I move so that I’m straddling William and lean down to kiss him.

“Because I was with you and Ryan last night and he was with her!” Gabe shouts back and is it just me or is he getting closer. Well I was officially no longer in the mood.

“I’ll go see what that’s about,” I mutter, rolling out of bed.

William sighs and lies back in the bed, closing his eyes once more. I pull a white robe over the few clothes I was wearing and head for the kitchen. Pete and Gabe are talking in hushed voices and when I walk in they stop.

“You guys are such girls,” I mutter, sitting down across from Gabe. Pete and Gabe exchange glances but don’t answer.

“What’s going on?” I ask, narrowing my eyes.

“Did you guys do it?” Pete asks abruptly, and Gabe chokes on his drink.

“That is not your business,” I hiss, handing Gabe a napkin. To be honest, I would normally tell Pete in a heartbeat but I didn’t want Gabe to find out.

“She totally has sex hair,” Pete says smirking.

“Shut the fuck up,” I say and Pete’s smirk only grows wider.

“Fine Sabrina, I’ll shut up but only because Gabe has something to say.” Pete elbows Gabe who spills the remainder of his drink on me.

“Say it,” Pete hisses and I raise an eyebrow and grab a paper towel.

“Shit, let me clean-” Gabe begins, standing up to help clean me off.

Pete pulls him back down into his seat and whispers something into Gabe’s ear. Gabe sighs and stands up again, reaching for a paper towel.

“Pete thinks I should tell you some things,” he mutters, soaking up the soda from the sleeve of my bathrobe.

“What kind of...bread?!” I exclaim, when William walks into the kitchen.

Although I wasn’t sure what things Gabe was talking about I was sure that it was something that William shouldn’t hear. He raises an eyebrow and I smile nervously, simultaneously pushing Gabe away from me.

“Hey Bill, we were just um talking about um types of bread.” Cue awkward silence.

“So you spent the night here?” Gabe asks conversationally.

“Yeah, we-”

“No sex huh?” Gabe interrupts and I groan. Where was the Gabe from a minute ago, who could barely get a sentence out?

“Actually we-” William begins, giving Gabe a smug look.

William,” I say pointedly and William kisses my cheek and mutters an apology.

“Well that’s disgusting,” Gabe mumbles, leaving the kitchen with an unreadable look on his face. Pete sends me a glare and I sigh and follow Gabe to the door.

“I’m sorry,” I mumble, biting my lip. Gabe raises an eyebrow but leaves his hand on the doorknob.

“For making you feel like this,” I clarify and Gabe turns around, irritation in his eyes.

“If you were sorry, you wouldn’t be doing this in the first place,” he hisses and I lower my eyes. I felt horrible, because he was right. It was my fault.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to uh...shit” he mutters, staring at something over my shoulder.

“I’ll um call you later or something,” he continues, before leaving. I turn around to face William who’s standing a couple feet away with his arms crossed.

“Eavesdropping?” I ask, mirroring his crossed arms.

“No, Pete wanted me to get him something,” he retorts quickly and I roll my eyes.

"Like what?"

"He didn't um...well he said I'd know what it was once I saw it."

“He’s trying to do something, I know it.”

William puts his arms around me and kisses my forehead, “don’t worry about that. Whatever he’s doing is probably the best for you.”

I sigh and rest my head on William’s chest. Whatever Pete thought was best for me, was probably the worst for us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Poor Gabe =[