‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 36

When I get out of bed that morning, I run into Michael on the way downstairs.

“You don’t want to go down there,” he warns, before walking or rather running past me. I cautiously walk into the kitchen where my mother is reading a newspaper. Quietly I reach for an apple and her eyes dart to my hand.

“Hi, mom. I’m just gonna get an apple and-”

“Sit,” she orders and I instantly sit on the chair across from her. My mom was usually super nice but whenever Casey or I messed up she became a completely different person.

“Explain to me, what exactly is going on,” she says.

“Well Pete freaked out after Patrick...anyway he told me last minute that he was moving to L.A. Then he had this stupid party and Gabe’s mad at me again. William probably still hates me and I realized that I have no friends,” I say in one breath.

“What about Victoria?” she asks and I roll my eyes.

“We’re not friends mom. We haven’t spoken since...yesterday. But-”

“So talk to her,” she suggests and I shake my head.

“Beggars can’t be choosers Sabrina.”

“She hates me-”

“On that note, I made some phone calls and I got you a job,” she says, finally smiling. That couldn’t be good.

“Wait, why are you smiling?” I ask frantically.

“I got you a job as a waitress at The Amulet!” she exclaims and I stare at her. She couldn’t be serious.

“They had this other job at this record company but I knew you wouldn’t want it,” she says, standing up from the table.

“Mom!” I shout and she starts laughing hysterically.

“This isn’t funny!”

“No, Sabrina, this is punishment,” she explains, before heading back upstairs. I groan and mentally kick myself for calling her last night.

A few hours later

“At the fucking Amulet Kate!” I shout into the phone and she bursts into laughter.

“Gabe practically lives there Sabrina,” she answers, after about five minutes of mean insensitive laughter.

“Wait seriously? How do you even know that?” I ask.

“My friend works there. She has a huge crush on him,” she explains.

“Don’t we all,” I mumble and she gasps.

“What?” she exclaims.

“Nothing,” I say quickly.

“You like him! You actually admitted it!”

“No, I didn’t!” I protest.

“Sabrina just admitted to being in love with Gabe!” Kate shouts to someone in her room.

“Wait, who are you talking you?! Kate-”

“Sisky says it took you long enough,” she interrupts.

“You suck,” I mumble and she laughs.

“I gotta go but I’ll come see you at work okay?”

“Yeah, yeah.” I hang up the phone just as my mom pokes her head into my room.

“I’ll drive you to work and afterward, I’ll go get your stuff from the apartment,” she says. I sigh and follow her downstairs hoping that Gabe won’t come in.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy!