‹ Prequel: The City Is at War
Status: Hiatus

You're Still My Favorite Melody

Chapter 9

"Hey, Gabe, are you busy?" I ask, cautiously into the phone.

I had already returned to the apartment and thankfully Daniel hadn't been there. But he had left a small piece of paper taped to my bedroom door. The note demanded that I call him as soon as possible and to be honest, I didn't have any intention of doing it.

Call me a wimp but I was too afraid to find out what he would have to say. Besides I could barely stop the tears from falling after what William had said. How could I deal with Daniel in the same day?

I was currently walking around the city, with no real goal in mind.

So I called Gabe. At this point, he seemed to be the only safe option.

"Actually Faye and I were . . . um . . . " Gabe says uncomfortably.

I stop in my tracks and bite down hard on my bruised lip. Of course he was with her, she was his girlfriend.

"Oh. I . . .um . . . sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt."

Gabe tries to say something else, but I was already hanging up.

What now? The few friends I had left were in Boston and I wasn't exactly up for staying home.

Still, I turn around in the direction of the apartment, only to bump into a relatively short guy.

"Sorry," the guy mumbles sheepishly, helping me up.

"It's fine, I wasn't um-"

"You look familiar," the guy interrupts, studying my face closely.

I take a step back but the guy just takes two steps closer to me.

"You're Sabrina right?" he asks.

I nod slowly and he tells me his name is Pete.

"I went to Barrington," Pete adds, noticing my confused expression.

"C'mon, I was friends with Gabe," he says persistently.

Oh, Pete.

“Pete-blew-up-his-own-house-Wentz?!” I exclaim and Pete nods enthusiastically.

How could I forget? Pete and I had never spoken much, but everyone knew him. He was notorious for his wild parties and promiscuity and well...setting his parents’ bedroom on fire. His bangs were no longer red and his hair was longer but he still had a mischievous smirk on his face.

"Oh shit, you look so different. How are you?" I ask.

"Who are you talking to Pete?" a female voice asks and before I can put a face to the voice I see her.

Victoria's smile immediately fades and she shoots me a glare.

"Um, I should go-" I begin, already taking a step back.

“But we just-”

“I have to go to work,” I lie.

"Well, there’s gonna be this party in a few hours. Everyone from school's gonna be there, you should come," Pete suggests, giving me a hopeful smile.

"I don't think that-"

"Oh come on, it'll be fun."

"Pete!" Victoria hisses, slapping his arm.

Pete glances between the two of us, before he finally catches onto the tension.

"Don't be a bitch Vic. She should come."

"She's not invited," Victoria hisses, her eyes still on mine.

"Then she'll be my plus one," Pete declares, grabbing onto my arm.

Victoria's eyes narrow, "Sabrina if you think-"

"No, no Victoria. I don't um, want to go anyway. I'll just stay home," I say nervously.

"Yeah, you just stay home and stop fucking with people," she says, turning around.

"I'm sorry," I mutter, even though I'm sure she can't hear me.

But to me surprise she turns around and there isn't any anger left in her eyes, just sadness.

"So am I," she said, before leaving Pete and I alone.

"So . . . uh, we should get to that party," Pete says, attempting to wave a taxi over.

"The party that I'm not going to?"

"Why not?" Pete asks.

He starts jumping up and down, hoping a taxi will pull over.

"One Victoria will kick my ass and two, I look like hell," I explain.

"I'll make sure she doesn't do anything to you and we can go back to your place and get you cleaned up."

I sigh and wave an arm for a taxi to come over. One immediately pulls over and Pete gapes at me.

"Why do you care so much?" I ask, as we get into the cab.

"I don't really know, you just . . . you look like you need someone. Kind of like you've been crying for hours and you're still nowhere near finished," Pete answers, looking out of the window.

I don't know what to say. How can he see that? I stay silent and stare straight ahead for the rest of the ride.
♠ ♠ ♠
~Happy Holidays~ This is my late gift to you guys! =]