Has Rap Music Gone Too Far? - Comments

  • lyrics shouldnt be blamed for peoples bad choices in life.
    but real modern rap just plain sucks!

    rap is supposed to tell a story, have an actual meaning.

    not just rhyming about how much money they make
    or how many 'hoes' they have.
    Hip hop and rap IS dead because of artists like lil wayne.

    theres actual rappers out their that do have something to talk about, but they dont get any credit. these pop culture icons are taking over rap and its sickening to watch.

    great article btw. =]
    August 11th, 2008 at 07:33am
  • Rap is okay.
    I don't listen to a whole lot of it, but there are a few songs (Like by Eminem) that I enjoy. I really just don't appreciate how degrating to women it has become.
    August 11th, 2008 at 07:08am
  • I agree that its in all genres, but its most present in rap. Its fucking disgusting. I do listen to some rap, but not any of that degrading crap.

    Us women let it upon ourselves, too. If some of us stopped selling ourselves like cheap whores and actually stood up for this, maybe it would be different.
    August 11th, 2008 at 06:50am
  • The only rapper I like right now is Eminem. His lyrics, unlike most rappers, actually have meanings and even tell stories.
    August 11th, 2008 at 06:25am
  • its not about the artist its about the person who decides to do wrong...
    besides you can say the same about other genres of music... like 'closer' by nine inch nails or other songs that sing about suicide and murder...its not just rap...although rap has no meaning now...old skool was the shit! btw i love how you put tupac in there, he is amazingly good artist. the last good rap song i heard was 'gangsta rap made me do it' by ICE CUBE...best line>>>>If I f**k up the planet ain't nothin to it gangsta rap made me do it
    August 11th, 2008 at 06:19am
  • I like some rap.
    But it can't be hard core rap.

    In my family I grew up listening to that. Down in San Jose it's almost impossible to not be able to dance to it or like it.

    So I really don't mind it
    August 11th, 2008 at 06:09am
  • I think that some rap is okay.
    I mean I love all music and I listen to everything.
    Though rap is music.
    Music is expressing your feelings/thoughts/etc.
    And some need to take in consideration that the artists sometimes don't write the song.
    It's another person.
    Though that's only some songs.
    And I agree rap isn't the only genre that degrades women and such.
    I hear my fair share of other music that does the same.
    In all honesty I actually don't like rap but I still listen to some of it.
    Because hey some of it's catchy. And some of it is actually great to listen too.
    But you can't put blame on just music.
    They inspire or encourage but it's the individual who does the action.
    Not the artist themselves.
    August 11th, 2008 at 06:04am
  • Rap music is only harmful if you have the IQ of a brick and you have no concept of the real world. Music can't be blamed for the actions of people.
    August 11th, 2008 at 05:53am
  • i think that rap is a disgrace to music. well, most is, some artists aren't bad.

    the worst cases are with Lil Wayne, Nelly, Soulja Boy, and artists along that line. i know SEVEN YEAR OLDS who enjoy Soulja Boy's 'Crank Dat' and they're singing along, and i'm shocked because they have no idea what the song means. Rap has simply been terrible these past months, with too much sexual and innapropriate content. i can understand sexual songs, alot of rock bands have sexual songs, but i think many rap artists take 'sexual' way to much off the scale.

    it seems that the music videos are just as bad as the songs. rap that is THAT innapropriate should be banned!
    August 11th, 2008 at 05:44am
  • I used to think the same of wrap until my media arts teacher showed us a movie.

    A lot of these rap artists are not like what their music makes them seem like. A lot of them used to be different but they changed to get a carrer as a rapper. The record labels won't sign a rapper only if the person will follow the steroetype that has been set.

    What people must also consider is the women in these videos. People complain rap music degrades women but we must also blame the ones in the videos. They subjected themselves to a video as such. The girls in the video could have walked off set but they didn't. So there are more then men to blame in this situation.

    Also rap is no the only genre people are blaming for things. I do not believe music should be blamed for our actions. We are free thinking humans, we control our actions not music.
    August 11th, 2008 at 05:43am
  • I don't think all rap is bad. Just the rap that is about getting laid, doing drugs...etc. I don't mind stuff like Linkin Park or the Gorillaz. There's a big difference between

    This:
    I ain't never seen an ass like hers
    That pussy in my mouth
    Had me at a loss for words
    Told her to back it up
    Like berp berp
    And I made that ass jump
    Like jerp jerp
    (lollipop - lil wayne)

    and this:
    One thing / I don’t know why
    It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
    Keep that in mind / I designed this rhyme
    To explain in due time
    All I know
    time is a valuable thing
    Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
    Watch it count down to the end of the day
    The clock ticks life away
    It’s so unreal
    (In the end - Linkin Park)

    Lyrics like the one's in "Lollipop" are the reasons why Parental Advisories exist. I don't think rap music is to blame for teen pregnancy's though. It's the nut jobs that decided to have sex in the first place. Sure lyrics like in "lollipop" can encourage, but it's the decision that was made. So to answer the question, "Has modern day rap gone too far?" I would say in some cases yes, but not all.
    August 11th, 2008 at 05:43am
  • The wonderful irony is, the popular thing is to dislike rap. And since most people do anyways, that isn't a problem.
    August 11th, 2008 at 05:41am
  • My ex-friends mom said that rap was crap without the 'c'.
    August 11th, 2008 at 05:38am
  • Modern Rap has gone down hill, there are some that talk about appropriate and meaningful thing but more teens and kids listen to this type of rap.
    I think its sad that this type or rap is not bashed upon or penalized but other bands thats are quote on quote "emo" and help thousands of kids everyday take the heat. What type of message are the rappers sending out to kids? Do the news papers and people think its right that rappers sing about that and promote those things then bands that promote living and hope? And they just because someone says they dont dress right or mention death as a metaphor makes them bad? That they shun the hundreds of thousands of voices that say they helped them and made a damn huge difference in their life dosent matter because the news papers need something to print in the morning. Why aren't they focusing on rappers that actually do send out bad examples and messages?!
    August 11th, 2008 at 05:37am
  • I agree with another comment - it is really thought provoking.
    I listen to rap, and sometimes I enjoy it.
    But I really do think that some songs go a little bit too far. Like the credit card swiping through the crack? Not only does that make women feel degraded... but it's kinda awkward too!
    I don't really believe that rap is the cause for people's choices. And if it is, maybe those people don't have quite a hold on themselves, do they? But music can be highly influential to people, but whatever they choose to listen to is what they fill their heads with - it's their choice I guess?
    Also, it's not like they didn't warn people. There is that sticker on the album.
    August 11th, 2008 at 05:31am
  • [i]Modern rap has an image of being extremely explicit and inappropriate for the younger generation of this world’s people. It is said that rap is the cause for teenage pregnancy, encouraging violence, addictions to harmful substances, and many other negative things that occur in the U.S.[/i]

    Saying that is kind of a double standard, seeing as how in many rock songs, women are degraded. And in alot of emo music, people often say that it encourages death, suicide, and whatever else. So that kind of stuff is seen everywhere.

    [i]Rap is also described as retards attempting poetry...[/i]. I don't know if you said that to express your own opinion or whatever, but I really don't think that needed to be said. And as Kurtni said, just like other genres of music, rap music is also a result of a person's freedom of speech.
    August 11th, 2008 at 05:28am
  • Sorry, but it's not just rap music, dear. It's in rock music, too. Rock is even worse if you ask me... "Crazy Bitch" and "Cold Hard Bitch" aren't any better-- and their genre? Rock.
    August 11th, 2008 at 05:03am
  • A thought provoking article :D

    I think, that, regardless of if what you're saying is vulgar or obscene, you still have the right to say it. I could write the most offensive, degrading song in the entire world, but I still have the right to create it. Freedom of speech works both ways- you hear things you don't want to sometimes, and you get to say what you want even if others don't want you to.
    August 11th, 2008 at 04:12am