Is There a Future For The Music Industry? - Comments

  • The Way

    The Way (1400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    17
    Location:
    Philippines
    I don't think the music industry is going to die just because CDs may become extinct in the near future. There are loads of other ways to profit from bands - merchandise, tours [aka the things you said they don't even get money from. Please get your facts straight].
    The reason most people don't buy CDs is because downloading is more accessible and just downright cheaper, whereas CDs definitely cost more. Those who buy CDs now are usually fans of the artist, who's likely to enjoy all the songs, unlike some people who only prefer one song in the album.
    My thoughts are slightly jumbled, sorry about that, but I don't agree with this article at all. Technological advancements ensure that nothing that we have now is permanent, and everything is going to be replaced. CDs may become collector's items, like old vinyl records, and that's just the way it is.
    November 3rd, 2008 at 10:35am
  • CemetaryGates

    CemetaryGates (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Australia
    Hey guys, thanks for all your comments so far.
    Also about the prices- there are a fair few of us from different countries so the prices will be different.
    And I actually do download some music using P2P. Because I can't afford to buy every CD. Message me if you have any questions.
    November 3rd, 2008 at 08:50am
  • No Regrets

    No Regrets (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Just one question... You said there will still be things like tours and t-shirts, things record companies don't get any money from.

    THAT'S THE STUPIDEST THING I'VE HEARD IN A LONG TIME!!!! Record companies make shitloads of money from t-shirts and tours. If they didn't make money, tours wouldn't happen and t-shirts wouldn't be made. The bands themselves make a minimal percentage of money from tours and shirts if that's what you meant. I hope that's what you meant.
    November 3rd, 2008 at 06:18am
  • Gibbers

    Gibbers (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I like buying the actual CD and then downloading it so then i don't delete the file on accident or something retarded like that. The internet is the easiest way to buy music though, the nearest music store where i live is 20 miles away. I burn CD's for my friends all the time, I just like getting them into good music.
    November 3rd, 2008 at 12:56am
  • only human

    only human (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United States
    Record labels will be the downfall of themselves. CDs are too expensive, and legal pay-to-download mp3 sites charge (usually) ridiculous amounts of money to sign up and download.

    I download music illegally (not through torrents or limewire, though) and I will gladly share all my music with anyone who wants it.

    When these record label companies decide to stop being greedy and get with the times, I will start purchasing CDs.
    November 3rd, 2008 at 12:39am
  • ToTieBinds

    ToTieBinds (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    I see you've fallen for the propaganda the music industry has been force feeding you. ._. The extinction of bands and music? Please!

    http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2007/10/when-pigs-fly-death-of-oink-birth-of.html

    Read this. Now.
    November 3rd, 2008 at 12:17am
  • evie may.

    evie may. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    New Zealand
    Just like records and cassette's, CD's will become redundant.
    Someone will think of a different way to distribute music for profit or will capitalise on the popularity of the internet. Their will always be a future for music as long as their are people willing to exert effort to earn money.
    November 2nd, 2008 at 10:56pm
  • the sea

    the sea (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    $20 for one CD??!?
    where do you people buy CDs from?
    mine are usually anywhere between $9-$13
    besides, it's cheaper to buy a CD at a concert
    November 2nd, 2008 at 10:08pm
  • yourverity

    yourverity (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    Most of what can be said about this topic has already been said but I feel the need to comment anyway. If I can talk my parents into buying it for me or I happen to actually have some of my own at the moment then ya, I'd prefer to buy instead of pirate.
    However, CD's are expensive and if I bought every single one I wanted both me and my parents would most likely be broke. Plus, think about all the kids who can't afford to buy [i]any[/i] music. If the only way they can get their music is limewire or one of the others then I don't see any reason to blame them.
    November 2nd, 2008 at 09:58pm
  • mindless

    mindless (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Norway
    Well.. I don't know what to say that hasn't already been said. But there do exist people who buy CDs. You is just one of them. I buy CDs too,but it's a bit hard since I live in Europe and most of my favourite bands and singers are american. I have to buy them on eBay, and for me it costs almost a bit too much. I used to have Limewire, but now I've stopped using it. I listen to music at Youtube or I order CDs online.

    But great article, very nicely written!
    November 2nd, 2008 at 09:33pm
  • Hellcat

    Hellcat (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    Bulgaria
    Maybe if there weren't so many shit bands out there, I'd be buying more CD's. I love CD's, but not only do they cost a fortune, but there is just not a lot of music out there that I'm willing to spend money on. If I think an artist is good, I'll buy their album.
    Besides, there can be an upside in P2P networks.
    My friend Kevin is in a band called Juvenile Assassins, look them up on Google or Myspace. They're a small, Vancouver based band that plays street rock. Their first album, FSMK came out in August and only about 1000 copies were ever made. Kevin recently found their music up on sites like Pirate Bay, and he freaked - in a good way. He said that this will help make their music more accessible to people across the world. What's happening now? Well, they're becoming much more popular at clubs, they've played shows with Chi Pig / SNFU and he's even been in talks with Joey Shithead of DOA.
    Bands and record companies don't get a lot of money out of record sales anyway. Most of the money goes to the store. Bands and record companies get money out of tours and merchandise, and if you have more fans coming to your show, well, you do the math.
    November 2nd, 2008 at 08:58pm
  • Lucy Anathema.

    Lucy Anathema. (355)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with your article, as well as many of the comments before me. But I have a question.
    What about the people who can't download music?--Who have dial-up internet and live way too far out in the country for the DSL cable to connect?--Who can barely afford to pay their internet and electricity bills, much less a sattelite internet? What if those kids love music more than anything and they can't download the albums they want?
    Exactly. They go to the store and buy CD's. And believe me, there's more than one kid who lives their life this way. I know a bunch of people off the top of my head. I can even think of celebrities who grew up this way.
    Just something to think about. HAVE A GREAT DAY! :-D
    November 2nd, 2008 at 08:41pm
  • Heartswell.

    Heartswell. (400)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    Kuwait
    I would /love/ to buy CDs rather than downloading them [it takes a shitload of time] but the problem is that most of them here are:
    a] they're pricey.
    b] they're either: banned or not available here. [I live in Kuwait so... ._.]
    So yeah. I do it out of necessity. Not because I want the music industry to go die in a whole :cute:
    November 2nd, 2008 at 07:29pm
  • Cocaine.

    Cocaine. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    I dunno, I use Limewire. And yeah, CD's are damn exspensive. $20 bucks for 12 songs?
    Yeah, pricey.
    November 2nd, 2008 at 07:04pm
  • tyler joseph.

    tyler joseph. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I do download some music, but usually it's just one or two songs. Usually, I go out and buy the CD. I have more than thirty CD's all stacked together right next to me at this moment. I love buying CD's. But if I only like one song by a certain artist, I'm not going to spend twenty dollars on a whole cd just for that one song. I'm going to download it. (And no, I don't download it illegally.)
    November 2nd, 2008 at 06:37pm
  • danee.

    danee. (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Canada
    i'd rather buy a cd than download it.
    November 2nd, 2008 at 06:26pm
  • kade holloway

    kade holloway (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    I love buying cd's. The idea of having the album booklet in my hand makes me happy.

    But when I see that one of the cd's I want is like $23, I don't buy it. Then there is only one other option.

    I agree with the first two comments. People would buy cd's if they were cheaper.
    November 2nd, 2008 at 06:17pm
  • Glow Worm.

    Glow Worm. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    That's true, CD's do get expensive after awhile.
    But I love my CD's
    Their all in alphabetical order, and their awesome :D
    But I can't buy them all cuz they're expensive after awhile
    November 2nd, 2008 at 06:07pm
  • anjiestaar.

    anjiestaar. (250)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    83
    Location:
    Togo
    Agreed with Oooh Zing.
    If CD's weren't sold for so much, people wouldn't have to "pirate" music.
    November 2nd, 2008 at 05:48pm
  • Oooh Zing

    Oooh Zing (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Honestly, I wouldn't use Limewire if CDs weren't almost $20 a piece.
    November 2nd, 2008 at 05:37pm