Fan Fiction vs. Original Fiction. - Comments

  • ImaginaryPangolin

    ImaginaryPangolin (155)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    Australia
    simply put, i agree with what youve said here =)
    fan fiction and original fiction are both fun to read and write, and each requires the author to be inventive in its own way.
    thanks for putting this out there :)
    March 5th, 2012 at 10:01am
  • rawrasaurus

    rawrasaurus (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I too agree that there is no point in people arguing over which is better. I love fan-fiction because it gives me more of the characters and adds on to things that I already love. Sometimes just that one thing isn't enough and fan-fiction gives me that missing link.

    I also love original fiction too because it's so hard to come up with an original idea and when you do you're proud of creating something to share with the world that other people might like to enjoy. I equally love both types of fiction and cannot get enough of either side.
    February 20th, 2012 at 08:26pm
  • aubs

    aubs (420)

    :
    Drabble Scribe
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I agree that the argument over it is kinda silly. I don't really care what people write about. I happily write both original and fan-fiction stories and love writing both!

    Great article, by the way. :)
    February 17th, 2012 at 11:20pm
  • morbid.beauty

    morbid.beauty (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Honestly I think that both original and fan fictions have potential to be published, just change the names for a fan fiction. I love fan fiction because it feels like a staple of my fandom. Honestly, I do see writing as a possible career path and I know that I've gotten better at writing over the years through writing fan fiction. Either way, writing is writing and all that matters is that you do what you like and have an audience for it.

    Great article =]
    February 17th, 2012 at 06:25pm
  • ladyschrei

    ladyschrei (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    I love you for this article, I really do.
    February 17th, 2012 at 08:23am
  • derelict-heart

    derelict-heart (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    Great article! I hate when people argue about that. If the writing is genuine and done well, then why does it matter what it is? I personally use fanfiction as a way to step into the shoes of different types of "characters". In a way, I think of it as good practice, to make the original fiction that I do write much more dynamic.
    February 17th, 2012 at 07:07am
  • wish on a firefly

    wish on a firefly (885)

    :
    NaNoWriMo 2017
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    You have said the truth! Original fiction, fanfiction, it shouldn't matter which is better. I enjoy writing both because I get to test some of my original ideas in the fanfiction I write and then I get to take my ideas and make original stories out of them. I do admit that I take ideas from tv shows I've watched and mangas or books that I've read to help me write my own original stories but every story has to start somewhere.
    February 17th, 2012 at 05:00am
  • kim wonshik.

    kim wonshik. (2255)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I agree, I think people need to stop this silly argument.
    To each his own, I say. (:

    I think it'd be nice to just give both genres a shot though, just to see what you may or may not be missing out on, you know? That's just me, though. (:

    I write more fan fiction than original fiction, but I guess that may be because it gets more views and my original fiction stories are the ones that I would love to get published one day. :3
    February 17th, 2012 at 03:48am
  • Eclectic_Soul

    Eclectic_Soul (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    I personally think everyone should try writing a fanfiction. It's fun, and it really helps you grow as a writer. The first story I ever wrote was a fanfiction about Yu Yu Hakusho back when I was thirteen, and ever since then I've been a writing machine. Fanfictions are great because it helps you learn how to keep true to characters. I know I have become a better writer because of it.

    Honestly, people should write what they want to write. If they want to write about Draco Malfoy, write about Draco Malfoy. There is no one genre of writing that is inherently superior to another. The whole point of writing, and this site, is to share your writing - whatever it may be - and become a better writer because of it.

    Thanks for posting this article. I think you've made a really excellent point. Keep writing and stay strong!
    February 16th, 2012 at 11:00pm
  • Rain_2010

    Rain_2010 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    In reality, both original and fan-fictions are in way tough to write.
    Especially if your putting a(n) original twist within the fan-fiction.
    One thing they have in common, in a way.

    I use fan-fiction too, as writing practice.
    I'm glad to see that mentioned.

    But all this agruing is pretty funny to watch.
    I love both genres.
    Interesting this is. lol :)
    February 16th, 2012 at 10:17pm