Mainstream in Photography is BAD! - Comments

  • FrankJScott

    FrankJScott (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    57
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Please try <a href=https://www.google.com/>Google</a> before asking <a href=https://gtafarai.lt/index.php?/forums/topic/6171-httpswwwoutlookindiacomoutlook-spotlightharrier-cbd-gummies-exposed-is-it-safe-or-not-official-price-news-244867/#comment-10826>Useful Onlne Casino Guide</a> 9c71e46
    September 29th, 2023 at 04:44am
  • earthydogs

    earthydogs (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with you on one thing: NO, you dont know what your talking about! Im a photographer who can honestly say that, while I dont find the photographs that you are talking about exactly appealing, I also dont think of them as art. They are not meant as art, so give your little opinion a break, and SHUT UP!
    May 16th, 2009 at 04:02am
  • Lady Lazarus

    Lady Lazarus (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I want to be a photographer and this is exactly my problem.


    Scene kids who all want to take photos of the same things. Pictures of their shoes, brightly coloured things, swings in a park, a building. You know what I mean.

    It's so irritating.
    May 14th, 2009 at 09:49am
  • Amysteriousglint

    Amysteriousglint (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    United States
    There is no one really in this world that is original anymore. Sadly, I do think that you are offending some people. Also when you said for us to stop taking pictures of ourselfs in mirrors. That has nothing to do with the article. You're talking about Photography, not snapshots that never meant to be Photography. Most people who do that just like taking pictures.

    Yes most photography is repeated, but what makes a truly great artist is how they take the picture. They might have the same concept, but i think true originality is whenever they get the feeling in the picture. Like capturing the soul.

    Maybe you should look harder, because im always on photography websites, most of them are pretty original that I find.
    December 11th, 2008 at 04:55pm
  • The Sacrifice

    The Sacrifice (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    I don't think people will ever stop taking pictures of them self in the mirror.
    I would rather someone take a picture of me and making it look nice instead of me taking a picture of myself on a weired angel.
    July 16th, 2008 at 01:22am
  • WickedRose

    WickedRose (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    Well I do admit you have a point, especially with those examples- I have seen about a million and one pictures like that, but I don't mind so much because the sites I go on, mainly devientART, have accomplished users and it's not too hard to find something good there, and even if it's not, users care enough to take constructive criticism into account, and if they do that, they'll eventually get much better and achieve something more original.
    June 27th, 2008 at 07:21pm
  • Jerk

    Jerk (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    Norway
    May I also add that you're referring in part to SNAPSHOTS, which are usually not meant as an art form, hun.
    May 31st, 2008 at 05:11am
  • Jerk

    Jerk (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    36
    Location:
    Norway
    Mainstream?

    If it has the elements of good photography, it can be "mainstream" (I think the word you're looking for is "cliche") and still be impressive. It has nothing to do with the content, since there are only so many things in the world, but rather the angle, DoF, color, and soo many other elements. A girl kissing a guy can be a heart-touching image if done in a way that gets inside your being. THAT is what shows skill. What you're seeing is an example of stock photography, more than likely, that is taken and used repeatedly by kids making icons and stupid little glitter graphics. The photo might have been better in context, you know.

    An example is, say, photos of flowers. I always advise against those since it tends to be the easy way out for beginners (LOW SKILL). But once you've improved (MODERATE/HIGH SKILL), those photos can be absolutely breathtaking.

    Give it a chance. And please be better versed in photography before you take an editorial stance on it. it's insulting to people with knowledge on the subject.
    May 31st, 2008 at 05:10am
  • chazzybiatch

    chazzybiatch (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I agree that there doesn't seem to be much creavtivty and uniqueness these days , but you say teenagers are doing this. well do you see adults doing anything no, teenagers are trying but there are 7 millions humans on this planet of course theres going to be similartiies and its going to be hard to get something orginal.
    May 30th, 2008 at 02:13pm
  • Tlisia

    Tlisia (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    This is harsh in that you specify teenagers as the only people to do this.
    I'm a teenager who studies photography in college, and you can have no idea the trouble I have to go to to find photographers to relate my work to. It once took me 3 weeks of research to find one, who was anything similar.
    In teaching photography, and art in general, teachers encourage students to find an artist to work in the style of. Personally, I find this discourages creativity and originality, as you say, and refuse to work this way.
    However, I'd much rather see people taking good copies of old photographs than seeing good ideas ruined by horrible camera-work. It allows people to find their own style, find their own methods and gives doorways into truly inspirational shots that might not have been found otherwise. If that's the path they have to go down to find their way, then I'd rather someone base their work on someone else's to begin with, before moving off into taking equally good pictures of their own concept.
    It is not only teenagers that do this. Many people will do this as a way to form a foundation for what they want to do.

    And I believe the photographer you're talking about is Lara-Jade:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/larajade/
    May 21st, 2008 at 07:51pm
  • petalhee.

    petalhee. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Philippines
    Mostly, I agree with you. But, when you immediately classified the teenagers as the ones who are "interpreting and reinterpreting" art, I was slightly offended. Sure, maybe the majority of the teenage population lack in creativity and originality but I don't like the fact that you, somehow, generalized it. :( As a teenager, myself, I find that very discouraging. We really are trying to express ourselves in a unique way through the art we make, you know.

    But anyway, putting that aside, I completely understand your point.
    May 21st, 2008 at 01:50pm
  • ella vator.

    ella vator. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    [i]Stop taking pictures of yourself in the mirror! They suck so bad, I can't even tell. Or, if you must, at least give up on the flash.[/i]

    What does that have to do with the article? Yeah, you see pictures of people through the mirror in almost everyone's profile, and I guess you could call it unoriginal, but who cares? What gives you the right to call that person ugly?
    May 21st, 2008 at 12:27am
  • Kyra

    Kyra (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    United States
    See, that's the thing: nobody is striving for originality now.

    But you know, who cares? I just ignore it and pay attention to the art I like. I guess it's just me, but I see originality in most works of art I find, though I will admit I am sick of the cliche "blood from mouth" and balloon thing.
    May 20th, 2008 at 11:47pm
  • disastrous.

    disastrous. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with most of this. It's not even just in photography that this is a problem. All mediums of art are like this. Seriously, how many bands can you name that sound just like the other? Or TV shows, even.

    Yes, not all of the photography on sites like deviantART is by any means good, but kids are trying. I'd rather look at a photo that needs help, criticize the person constructively, and make them better than have the kid to afraid and shy to even post their photographs. If they don't post them, they'll never get any better.
    May 20th, 2008 at 11:44pm
  • LiL_McR_FaN

    LiL_McR_FaN (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    :O I like taking piccies...its fun
    May 20th, 2008 at 07:56pm
  • the surgeon.

    the surgeon. (200)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    I agree to most of this, how it says that the same pieces of art get repeated.

    But at the end, when you say ''stop taking pictures of yourself in the mirror'' etc., that got quite offensice (not to me in particular but people in general). I don't think you should have added that last bit.

    But ok, that's your opinion. :cute:
    May 20th, 2008 at 03:39pm