Picture Perfect: Or Is It ? - Comments

  • Saccharose

    Saccharose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    an example, if i wanted to get cosmetic surgery for acne treatments/acne scars{last resort nothing works well enough or at all}, that's being too vain?

    and just like outer 'beauty', inner 'beauty' fades over time as well.

    but i kind of like being colourful and sarcastic.
    i can't wait to be bitter and even more lonely than before.
    comforting.
    August 8th, 2009 at 04:32am
  • Saccharose

    Saccharose (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    i think some people need to stop shoving some of that whole promoting inner beauty stuff. it only makes some people feel better until the next time they look in the mirror.
    August 8th, 2009 at 04:21am
  • love potion

    love potion (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    I [i]completely[/i] agree with everything you've said. But a lot of people don't understand that. Whether anyone likes it or not, we [i]do[/i] judge people, and we can't really help that. When you a gorgeous girl/boy walking down the street, you're either immediately attracted to them or you think, 'I wish I looked like that.' It's human nature. So many people these days say, 'Looks don't matter to me; personality is much more important,' but in order to get to know the person, you have to first look at them.

    This is such a big issue at my school. No matter how nice you are, if you're a bit overweight or don't exactly have the right clothes on, you're not considered 'cool'. There's this one group of kids at my school who are all just good looks, and nice smiles. Some of them are in my classes, and are really nice, but we just don't talk about...stuff when we're in class. Sometimes he asks me a question about Math, and I'd answer; or sometimes I'd ask him for help, and he'd try his best to make me understand, but other than that, we don't really talk about anything. And outside class, we pretend we don't know each other.

    I guess that's how it works, but yes, I do agree with everything you've said, and I wish more people thought like you did. Maybe then going to school wouldn't be about 'looking great' or 'making a good impression.' It's all just total BS.

    x.
    March 18th, 2009 at 12:00am
  • Vulnerable.

    Vulnerable. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    United States
    it's your faults that make you pretty.
    March 7th, 2009 at 09:44pm
  • Flynn Rider

    Flynn Rider (300)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Guam
    I concur with Mia Bell.
    January 12th, 2009 at 11:15am
  • ragrok

    ragrok (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    33
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I can't be bothered to launch into lots of details so
    - the world perceives people a certain way
    - while everyone is beautiful, no one can really tell until they get to know you, unless you are very attractive at a glance
    - if people want to become more attractive, make up is often the way. the world is cold and prejudiced, and people will be teased for their faults. makeup works on their positives and tries to remove faults
    so it's really your choice how you go about getting people to think you're good looking. 'being comfortable in your skin' is generally the best way, and tends to bring people who really know and love you (sadly this is slower). but, if you want someone quick, or just want *a little of that* then artificial enhancement is the way to go
    either way, not-so-good looking people tend to win against beautiful people in the end because, while they don't get people as quickly, they tend to meet people who really love them for who they are (rather than their looks.)
    [bit of optimism]
    December 16th, 2008 at 04:57pm
  • CecilioLux

    CecilioLux (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    Try to find beauty in the skin your already in.

    :D
    December 5th, 2008 at 04:30am
  • MissCandyyC.

    MissCandyyC. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I disgree with you and agree on some things. but who are any of us to say that 'ugly' people can't change the way they look? If 'pretty' people get attention and have confidences why can't less attractive people have the same? I'm not saying 'Hey let's get all the ugly people and give them a plastic face!' but if they're not happy with how they look then why not change a few things? For the most part I think that if said person is not happy with their looks they should change for themselves not for a certain person who makes fun of them or for society or to look like a model or anything..
    November 30th, 2008 at 09:13pm
  • mia bell.

    mia bell. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    100
    Location:
    Australia
    I think that Mibba has a completely different definition of what is classified as beautiful as opposed to 'reality'.

    Our standards aren't low. They aren't high either. They're normal. I hope I speak for everyone here, but, as the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I believe everyone is beautiful in their own unique and stunning way.
    October 4th, 2008 at 01:48pm
  • RoastedHeart

    RoastedHeart (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    Great Britain (UK)
    I agree with what you're saying and I think it's completely true...the world is consumed with looking good and being 'beautiful'. I use that word lightly because beauty is a tender subject nowadays. But what I cant understand is how everyone keeps saying "love yourself for you" when just the other day I saw a magazine that plastered skinny celebs weights on the front. People are getting concerned that the youth of today is too obsessed with appearance and image but it only because of these influences that it happens. They see the latest styles on emaciated models and believe that is the way it should be. That thats the way they should look. Its the MEDIA that makes such a big deal out of appearance and that is where the changes need to be in order to stop the obsession with being skinny and having eating disorders.

    And another thing...celebrities get slated for being skinny AND for putting on a few pounds and actually looking healthy. Define what is healthy, THEN look at whats beautiful.
    September 30th, 2008 at 07:46pm
  • dancerluv6

    dancerluv6 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Location:
    United States
    HERE HERE!!!!!
    i agree one hundred percent
    September 29th, 2008 at 04:49am
  • Draco_Familiar

    Draco_Familiar (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Thank you.
    I bleive that the more imperfect you are, the more perfect of a human you are. People that are despiritly trying to be "perfect" are allways hiding something ,so thier rep doesn't get tarnish, or so that they fit it, or so they can say that they are somehow worth more. But they don't feel normally, they look fake, and they'll screw over their worth just to seem perfect. People how are proud of the fact that they are chubby, or have frekles (I like them to be honest), or that thier leg grew backwards, or something like that, are human, not some robotic fake person.

    FLAWED HUMANS RULE!
    September 28th, 2008 at 10:54pm
  • Rossetta

    Rossetta (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    38
    Location:
    United States
    I compleetly agree with you.
    But unfortunatly not many people understand that...
    September 24th, 2008 at 11:25pm
  • onewaytogo

    onewaytogo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    If getting your boobs bigger when they're size A and you're 25 and done growing, breast augmentation is fine. Why not boost confidence?
    September 23rd, 2008 at 01:40pm
  • phlexa

    phlexa (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    Australia
    hey i really liked ur artical, its soo true.
    i dont see why people should percieve the perfect image from what they obtain from mindless wastes of skin on the tele, although im not saying that people should not care how they look or smell etc. but we shouldnt be going to the extremes that are that of stomach staplin n hu the fuck eva thought of botoxing underarms "why?"
    looks dont bother me, but botoxed underarms would.
    wait...how the hell did i turn my comment into underarms
    meh
    pce all
    September 18th, 2008 at 10:29am
  • Christen_Banks

    Christen_Banks (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    40
    Location:
    United States
    May I suggest a little reading? Try reading Uglies, Pretties, and Specials. If you've read it, I'm sure you can see the resemblance. Society that favors beauty...
    September 17th, 2008 at 09:09pm
  • Nightmare-Anatomy

    Nightmare-Anatomy (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Of Course medical surgery is okay...I didn't mean to make it sound like it wasn't . I meant things like: Breast enlargement and things like that.
    September 17th, 2008 at 05:06pm
  • No Regrets

    No Regrets (550)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    Medical related cosmetic surgery is perfectly acceptable, but things like breast augmentation and lip plumping is just silly! Do you really thing obviously fake, unnaturally massive boobs make you look better? NO!

    Good article though
    September 17th, 2008 at 05:05am
  • Hellcat

    Hellcat (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    102
    Location:
    Bulgaria
    Whoever said plastic surgery is pointless has obviously never been close to someone with a serious facial deformity.

    One of my best friends was born with a massive Tessier Cleft Palate. The entire left side of her face is asymmetrical to her right. She was born with no eye socket, no cheekbones and a major cleft extending from her lip to her left eye.This past August, she underwent the last major surgery she will ever have to go through to try and correct her face. The doctors literally had to pull back her entire face to the bare skull so they could reconstruct her face and make her look more symmetrical. Her left eye is now symmetrical with her right, and she only has a few more minor operations to correct her septum and lip.

    As we all know, kids can be needlessly cruel, and she certainly got more than the lions share of taunts and teasing. Some kids at her school liked to call her 'Shovelface'. She dropped out of school because the teasing got so bad and was home schooled for about a year. These surgeries have drastically improved her self esteem. Plastic surgery isn't just for the vain and wealthy. When people are constantly name calling about what you look like, no amount of "oh, I'm beautiful, no matter what and I'm beautiful on the inside" talk is going to change how a person feels about their appearance.
    September 17th, 2008 at 02:52am
  • onewaytogo

    onewaytogo (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I agree, but, sometimes it can be for good.
    You obviously know everyone has their perception of beauty nowadays, and most are of those models, with the make-up and plastic surgery. If someone has a low-self esteem, a few kind words won't give it back. But if surgery gives them confidence to walk down halls without feeling stupid, let them get it. What's someones fixing a few things on their face or body going to do to impact you anyway?
    September 17th, 2008 at 02:50am