FDA: The PETA of Anti-Smoking? - Comments

  • unapologetic.

    unapologetic. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I'm all for this. I wish alcohol and cigarettes weren't so "okay" nowadays. They're a crutch, they're deadly, nothing's good about them, and I'm all for a reality check for the people choosing to poison themselves. Heck, even the "calming" effect is harmful-- it's the positive stimulus that's so addictive. My dad has been a smoker and drinker for longer than I've been alive. If these new rules mean he's more inclined to live to see his grandchildren instead of selfishly numbing himself to death and running from life's problems, I'm all for it.
    December 31st, 2010 at 10:21pm
  • whiteasfuck

    whiteasfuck (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    27
    Location:
    United States
    A label would just make me put my cigarettes in something else other than the pack they came in if they had ugly pictures on them. I would most definitely not stop smoking. For one it really does calm you down when you are stressed, and I live a very stressful life. Another reason is certain cigarettes generally just taste good just like food.
    December 2nd, 2010 at 08:07am
  • dyinglove35

    dyinglove35 (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I think this is insane, I mean people smoke, people eat animal products. I understand they don't like those things, but if you don't like it then don't do it. People know smoking is harmful, it's their choice, they know that. People eat meat because well they don't really care about the animals dying. It's all person decisions that the government shouldn't be making for us.
    November 14th, 2010 at 05:13pm
  • Audrey T

    Audrey T (6730)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    v Yeah. As part of a settlement for various lawsuits filed against them.
    November 14th, 2010 at 04:18am
  • Zombie.Highway

    Zombie.Highway (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    I don't think it will change much, people already know the risks. Did you know that the "Truth" campaign is sponsored and paid for by big name tobacco.
    November 14th, 2010 at 01:21am
  • SarahHelenaSays;;

    SarahHelenaSays;; (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    29
    Location:
    Australia
    We have those in Australia, I'm looking at a pack right now and not all of our pictures are graphic but most are. smokers aren't going to quit because of a picture, a simple solution if you don't want to look at it is get a pretty case like my Nightmare Before Christmas one (: but over here you can actually ask for what picture you want on the pack when buying them.
    November 14th, 2010 at 12:14am
  • flyer.

    flyer. (850)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    28
    Location:
    United States
    You linked my article :D
    I really loved this article, very well done. I hadn't really heard of this issue. Honestly, I think the goverment has the right idea....but that maybe they should spend a little bit more effort on [i]helping[/i] smokers quit, instead of trying to scare them away from cigarettes. The scare tactics might work against people who are just beginning or aren't in the full on throes of addiction...but for those who are fully and completly addicted, a picture literally won't be able to stop them.
    Do any of these ads contain useful information like a smoking addiction hotline, or something like that? That might be a good plan.
    November 13th, 2010 at 09:29pm
  • The Master

    The Master (15)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    34
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    I think calling the FDA the PETA of anti-smoking is somewhat sensationalist.

    Whilst i have nothing against smoking in general, it does effect people aside from yourself. The messages are being used as little motivators. I mean, there is a shitload of help out there in the NHS for anyone who wants to stop smoking or any other "self-destructive" habit. Somatic aids, psychotherapy, group therapy...if the US government wants less people smoking then they ought to stump up the money for adequate programmes for those who do want to quit but find it difficult (and such).

    But honestly. Calling the FDA PETA because they used some icky imagery just doesn't cut the mustard for me. It is comparable to any old group with a message they try to push with icky pictures or imagery (pro-life, for example) but PETA? Nah, not by a long shot.
    November 12th, 2010 at 01:27pm
  • Slow Down Sisky

    Slow Down Sisky (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    31
    Location:
    United States
    I know one thing's for sure.
    When I buy a pack of smokes, I don't sit there and stare at the label. It could be 100% covered in warnings, and I wouldn't give it a second glance. Those aren't going to make people want to quit. People have to WANT to quit, on their own.
    November 12th, 2010 at 06:37am
  • Dreams.of.Someday

    Dreams.of.Someday (900)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    I agree with Audrey. It seems everyone is wanting smokers to quit, but how can smokers quit without the programs necessary to help them? Beating an addiction is not as easy as putting down a bag of chips.

    Cereal:
    I would hope that the people in the photographs were included voluntarily. Maybe they were staged or something.
    November 12th, 2010 at 03:35am
  • Cereal Killer

    Cereal Killer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Agree with Audrey T and Grave Dancer

    Everybody knows the risks of using tobacco, everyone, it's not the 50s. But guess what? We don't care! People smoke/dip despite the risks! It's a personal choice.

    And pictures of cemetaries?! That's just gross. And how would this people on the label feel about it?
    November 12th, 2010 at 12:24am
  • Audrey T

    Audrey T (6730)

    :
    Admin
    Gender:
    Age:
    35
    Location:
    United States
    [b]Grave_Dancer[/b]: [i]Smoking ads aren't going to change anything.[/i]

    I agree with that. I know a lot of smokers in my life and they ALL know the risks and yet they still do it (one being a nurse who has seen and worked with people who suffer from smoking related illnesses). At this point, especially in the US, it's not a matter of anti-smoking educations or making people aware of the risks - they already know this - it's a matter of getting more effective programs to help people quit. The "gross" images aren't going to do anything, they already know how gross it can be.
    November 12th, 2010 at 12:14am
  • fun ghoul fez.

    fun ghoul fez. (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    Canada
    I can't help but wonder why they don't put these labels on alcohol bottles. Maybe that would change things, maybe not, but it would be neat to see what would happen. I know that I live in Canada and, despite the warning labels, both of my parents smoke heavily and I hate it.

    This article was very well-written and I liked how you cited your sources within the text as well. :)
    November 11th, 2010 at 11:13pm
  • kafka.

    kafka. (150)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    Hmm I think the problem with smoking and the reason there are so many campaigns against it is mainly passive smoking. You don't become an alcoholic just by sitting in the same room with somebody who drinks, but if your parents or friends smoke there's a good change your health will be endangered too. And that doesn't sit well with a lot of people.
    November 11th, 2010 at 09:20pm
  • Grave_Dancer

    Grave_Dancer (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    30
    Location:
    United States
    Smoking ads aren't going to change anything, no matter how unfortunate that may seem. Also, you don't see them doing this with alcohol, right? I agree, smoking is a way of life. I chose not to because I really don't want to have lung cancer, or to smell like cigarettes either.
    November 11th, 2010 at 08:53pm
  • Slappy

    Slappy (100)

    :
    Member
    Gender:
    Age:
    32
    Location:
    United States
    I want some Shards-O-Glass spheres now.
    Thanks.

    xD
    In all seriousness, we all die. Whether it's cancer or natural causes, you're gonna die. Some people choose to smoke and others choose to do other harmful things. Many don't even do anything and they end up dead.
    It's a way of life. It's just like back in the old days, if you were caught in suspicion of a crime, you were put to death no questions asked.
    It doesn't matter if it has a label or not, that's not going to stop people from drinking and driving, it's not going to stop them from doing meth and wigging out and dying.
    Meh. I don't know how to end this.
    November 11th, 2010 at 08:27pm